Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules

Blue 33 shoots a jumpshot.
Red 22 slaps the backboard.
Official blows whistle for a Technical Foul.
Ball did not go in and nobody had control.
After blue shoots the two freethrows for the T,
who gets throwin & how is the ball administered?

Thanks
Barry
[email protected]
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
A technical fouls is always penalized by 2 shots and then possession at the division line opposite the table. It actually doesn't matter if the shot goes in or not. The only difference would have been whether or not the 2 points (or 3 behind the 3-point line) would be scored.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
A technical fouls is always penalized by 2 shots and then possession at the division line opposite the table. It actually doesn't matter if the shot goes in or not. The only difference would have been whether or not the 2 points (or 3 behind the 3-point line) would be scored.
whoa!! there guy, almost none of what you have said is correct. Barry asked for NCAA rules #1, and technical fouls are not followed by the division line throw-in, they are at the point of interruption. In this case, I believe a throw-in for whoever has the possession arrow after the free throws are attempted. The nearest spot would be on the endline, to one side or the other, nearest the spot of the infraction.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Aplogies. Of course I was referring to NFHS rules.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 10:31am
Esteemed Participant

Devdog is correct...since there was no control during the shot, you would go with the AP arrow and the team entitled would get the ball at the spot closest to where the rules infraction was committed - in this case the baseline...
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Devdog is correct...since there was no control during the shot, you would go with the AP arrow and the team entitled would get the ball at the spot closest to where the rules infraction was committed - in this case the baseline...
But, if the ball went in, you'd award it to B -- even though there was no team control when the T was committed.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 03:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Yep...
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Barry asked for NCAA rules #1, and technical fouls are not followed by the division line throw-in, they are at the point of interruption.
Not totally correct.

Flagrant/Intentional technicals still result in posession to the offended team at the half-court line (on either side of the court).
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Flagrant/Intentional technicals still result in posession to the offended team at the half-court line (on either side of the court). [/B]
...for men.

For women (NCAA), both flagrant fouls and intentional technical fouls result in a throw-in at the spot nearest the infraction.

(Note: There is no such thing as a flagrant technical or a flagrant personal foul in the women's game---only a flagrant foul.)
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
This discussion answers one of my questions. JV game. Player A1 makes a basket, then runs down court and yells "F(ire Truc)k, he hit me in the "F (ire Fightin)g face". Obvious "T" and happened to be his 5th foul. We shot the T's and then I brought them back to the base line for B1 to throw the ball in. I knew I had a 50/50 chance and goes to show why I don't gamble.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, if the ball went in, you'd award it to B -- even though there was no team control when the T was committed.

Can you clarify why ball would go to B in this instance? Would there not still be no team control regardless if the ball went in or not?
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JLK
quote:

Can you clarify why ball would go to B in this instance? Would there not still be no team control regardless if the ball went in or not?

JLK,
Look at it this way:
  • If the foul was not called, who would have the ball?

mick
    Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 02:26pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    Originally posted by JLK
    quote:

JLK,
    Look at it this way:
  • If the foul was not called, who would have the ball?

mick
  • That's a good explanation, Mick, but it doesn't always hold true.

Play: Shot in the air, shot clock horn sounds, official blows whistle. Shot: (a) is good; (b) hits the rim and bounces off; (c) misses everything.

Ruling: (a) Count the basket, award the ball to B to run the end-line. (b) Go to the arrow. (c) Go to the arrow.

Huh? Who can explain C? Using Mick's logic (with which I agree) we'd give the ball to B becuase that's who'd have the ball had there been no inadvertant whistle.

So, to answer JLK, all I can say is "because that's the way 'they' want it."
    Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 03:17pm
    In Memoriam

Thumbs up There's always something.

Quote:
    Originally posted by bob jenkins

That's a good explanation, Mick, but it doesn't always hold true.

Play: Shot in the air, shot clock horn sounds, official blows whistle. Shot: (a) is good; (b) hits the rim and bounces off; (c) misses everything.

Ruling: (a) Count the basket, award the ball to B to run the end-line. (b) Go to the arrow. (c) Go to the arrow.

Huh? Who can explain C? Using Mick's logic (with which I agree) we'd give the ball to B becuase that's who'd have the ball had there been no inadvertant whistle.

So, to answer JLK, all I can say is "because that's the way 'they' want it."
    Thanks, bob.
    Good call.
    YU.P., I see now, it is an alternating-possession situation:
  • 6-3-1 g. An inadvertant whistle occurs and there is no player control.

I guess NCAA has your (b) and (c) are consistent.
    mick