The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Unusual 3 second call

In last night's tournament game I was the C, A1 had the ball on the opposite side of the court and A3 was in the lane by the block nearest me. I was ready to call a violation but A1 had already started a drive to the basket and was on his way up for the lay-in. Seeing he was about to be rejected, A1pulled the ball down and while still airborne tried to make an off-balance pass toward the corner on my side. The ball glanced off the bottom of the backboard, hit the floor and was caught by A3 who would have had an easy put-back but I quickly called A3 for a 3 second violation. My thinking was team control never ended and by this time, A3 had been in the lane for a lot more than :03. Later, I got to thinking of the recent discussion of throwing the ball off a team's own backboard and if team control ended. If so, then perhaps I was wrong. Would appreciate your opinions.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

If you deemed that A1's action was not a shot attempt you the right call.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Badnews beat me to it. If you deem A1's action to be a try, you have nothing. If not, right call on the 3 secs.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here We Go Again ...

Some would argue that throwing the ball and hitting the backboard of the team in possession is always considered a try for goal.

9.5 SITUATION A: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 02, 2011 at 07:20pm.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 07:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
In last night's tournament game I was the C, A1 had the ball on the opposite side of the court and A3 was in the lane by the block nearest me. I was ready to call a violation but A1 had already started a drive to the basket and was on his way up for the lay-in.

Sounds to me like you could have called the violation before the pass. If A3 is in to long, A1's drive to the basket is irrelevant.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some would argue that throwing the ball and hitting the backboard of the team in possession is always considered a try for goal.

9.5 SITUATION A: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)
Right. And that is what I was thinking about later. However, all three of us agreed while discussing this after the game that this player was not making an attempt to score. In fact, should he have been fouled while trying to get rid of the ball, we would not have awarded him free throws for being in the act of shooting. He was definitely trying to throw the ball toward the corner. The ball just happened to hit the bottom of the backboard, which brings us back to 9.5 and whether team control ended.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sounds to me like you could have called the violation before the pass. If A3 is in to long, A1's drive to the basket is irrelevant.
HTBT. A1 was far enough in toward the basket that my whistle would likely have coincided with him being airborne or just having released the ball on a try. Didn't want to go there.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Right. And that is what I was thinking about later. However, all three of us agreed while discussing this after the game that this player was not making an attempt to score. In fact, should he have been fouled while trying to get rid of the ball, we would not have awarded him free throws for being in the act of shooting. He was definitely trying to throw the ball toward the corner. The ball just happened to hit the bottom of the backboard, which brings us back to 9.5 and whether team control ended.
If the ball had gone in the basket instead of hitting the board, would you have allowed the basket? (remember, you said he wasn't trying to score)
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 08:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
If the ball had gone in the basket instead of hitting the board, would you have allowed the basket? (remember, you said he wasn't trying to score)
And what rule would you have used to disallow the basket?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Since when do we disallow points when a live ball (excluding throw-in) goes into the basket just because it wasn't a shot attempt?

If A1 jumps and throws a pass and a defender tips it causing it to contact the basket and A1 was fouled before returning to the ground would you call A1 an airborne shooter and award him 2 shots?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Since when do we disallow points when a live ball (excluding throw-in) goes into the basket just because it wasn't a shot attempt?

If A1 jumps and throws a pass and a defender tips it causing it to contact the basket and A1 was fouled before returning to the ground would you call A1 an airborne shooter and award him 2 shots?
Where did I say the basket should be disallowed?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 09:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Based on your question to the OP.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You didn't say it should, but you questioned whether the OP would as if there was a logical reason for disallowing it.

Quote:
So, I ask again, what rule (or logic) could he have used to disallow the basket?
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not knowing if asdf has gone to bed for the day, or whatever, I'll hazard a guess that this was just a rhetorical question, or at least one to provoke introspection from the OPer. He never says anything should/would be disallowed.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2011, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Not knowing if asdf has gone to bed for the day, or whatever, I'll hazard a guess that this was just a rhetorical question, or at least one to provoke introspection from the OPer. He never says anything should/would be disallowed.
Which leads me to think one of three things was at play:

1. He sees a logical path from ruling it to be a non-try to disallowing the basket, even if he agrees the rule is clear that it should be allowed; and he had a point to make. If so, I'm wondering what it was.

2. He thinks the OP really would have disallowed the basket.

3. He was just being random.

I'm going with #1.