The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

The bench area for both teams allows the use of padded chairs but the home school only puts out chairs for its team and pulls out the bleachers for the visiting team. although I can't find a rule for this it is causing all kinds of problems with teams visiting this site. All suggestions welcome....
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Completely and totally the home school's option. There is no rule that governs this type of thing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

This could be the start of a Home/Away war. What comes next? No heat in visitors lockerroom, no hot water in showers, etc.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
They could paint the visiting team's locker room pink. I remember seeing a major college do that on ESPN.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
They could paint the visiting team's locker room pink. I remember seeing a major college do that on ESPN.
ESPN broadcast the painting?!? Did the painters wear numbers? Was there a timing device? Were any subs allowed?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
ESPN broadcast the painting?!? Did the painters wear numbers? Was there a timing device? Were any subs allowed?
In the next episode of This Old House, Norm uses his $150K worth of power tools to paint the visitor's locker room pink and put up a towel rack.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep - good 'ole boy Hayden Fry did that at the University of Iowa football visitor's locker room.

As far as I know, it's still pink.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't seem like much of a situation that an official must handle.

"What do you think this play is? A Holiday Inn?"
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

To my knowledge the Iowa football locker rooms are still pink. They may have to paint them cardinal and gold the way Iowa State has dominated them in football recently. Adam? I thought I saw you posting somewhere else. Are you going to come stick up for your team?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:18pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by MichiganOfficial
The bench area for both teams allows the use of padded chairs but the home school only puts out chairs for its team and pulls out the bleachers for the visiting team. although I can't find a rule for this it is causing all kinds of problems with teams visiting this site. All suggestions welcome....
What level is this? Our middle school did something very similar this fall for girls BB games and we had no complaints. For MS and lower, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. At the high school level and beyond, it seems like common courtesy would be both team "benches" are identical, but I'm not sure if there is a rule for this.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Maybe on the return trip, this home team gets to sit on upside down 5 gallon pails. Guaranty things would change after that.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

This is Varsity Boys Basketball.
To further set the stage, the home teams chairs are about two feet from the sideline, but the visiting teams pull out bleacher is about eight feet from the sideline.
So let's get crazy and say that if both coaches recieved a "T" and lost their box then one coach would have an unfair advantage over the other one, because the visiting coach while sitting down can't see the action when the ball is at the other end of the floor.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:22am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
This is Varsity Boys Basketball.
To further set the stage, the home teams chairs are about two feet from the sideline, but the visiting teams pull out bleacher is about eight feet from the sideline.
So let's get crazy and say that if both coaches recieved a "T" and lost their box then one coach would have an unfair advantage over the other one, because the visiting coach while sitting down can't see the action when the ball is at the other end of the floor.

Sounds more like bush league basketball.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

But until he gets T'd, he'd have a bigger coaching box.

Seriously, the team has to use the bench that is designated for them by game management. There is no requirement that they have to be in comparable locations only an intent.

Fear of reprisal and sportsmanship considerations usually keep the home team from being poor hosts. There is no specified penalty.

RULE 1, SECTION 13 TEAM BENCH LOCATIONS, COACHING BOX, BENCH AREA
ART. 1 . . . The location of each team's bench shall be designated by game management. It is recommended that the benches for team members and coaches of both teams be placed along that side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table is located.

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 1 TEAM TECHNICAL
ART. 4 . . . Fail to occupy the team member's bench to which it is assigned.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Jan 25th, 2006 at 04:07 AM]
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's nothing for an official to do about this during the game. IT's a league / conference issue. I'm sure the opposing coaches will rais the issue -- if you're not so sure that they will, you could make it known to the league officials.
Closed Thread