The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Over and back rule

This question stems from two calls I have seen made in the past few weeks: one in a Big Ten game and one in an intramural game. The call in question is the over and back call. I know all the good stuff about the three points and so on, but my question deals more with the actual possession of the ball.

In both cases the ball was tipped back on a rebound attempt by a member of the shooting team. In the Big Ten game it was a free throw attempt and the intramural game was on a field goal attempt. The rebounder slapped the ball backwards and it was recovered by the "shooting" teams only to be called over and back in both situations.

The intramural call was against my team and they turned to me to ask if it was the correct call (I'm an IM official as well) I told some of my teammates it was the correct call (based on what I had seen in the Big Ten matchup a few weeks ago). Anyone have a good answer for this? Correct call or not and why?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:14am
We don't rent pigs

If the ball was merely tipped or slapped, this was not the correct call because there was no team control in the frontcourt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Are you sure it happened as you said in the Big Ten game? Cause for an official at that level to miss such an easy call is hard to fathom. Perhaps, there was a moment where a player held the ball briefly?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm fairly certain about the big ten game, It was an IU game I was at and I complained about the call at the time but decided in my head it must have been correct because as you said a Big Ten official wouldn't miss that. I guess he felt that the player had enough control of the ball that he "threw/passed" it back out.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:06am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmcubs21 View Post
I'm fairly certain about the big ten game, It was an IU game I was at and I complained about the call at the time but decided in my head it must have been correct because as you said a Big Ten official wouldn't miss that. I guess he felt that the player had enough control of the ball that he "threw/passed" it back out.
That's the only thing that comes to mind.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:12am
I miss being on the floor

By the way dbm, check your PM inbox, upper right hand corner.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Assembly Hall

If the call was against IU, then correct call. If for IU, obviously incorrect call.

Great to have the brooms out on Wednesday night.....

I will tell you that this is all a matter of HTBT. If the official determines that the tip was a controlled tip in the direction of the player, then it should be a b/c violation. If it is truely just a tap of the ball with zero direction control, then no b/c violation.

Assembly Hall has a long history of incidents. Just ask Steve Reid about the chair.....

BOILER UP!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
If the call was against IU, then correct call. If for IU, obviously incorrect call.

Great to have the brooms out on Wednesday night.....

I will tell you that this is all a matter of HTBT. If the official determines that the tip was a controlled tip in the direction of the player, then it should be a b/c violation. If it is truely just a tap of the ball with zero direction control, then no b/c violation.

Assembly Hall has a long history of incidents. Just ask Steve Reid about the chair.....

BOILER UP!
Controlled tip does not equate to team control which is gained by HOLDING or dribbling the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
If the official determines that the tip was a controlled tip in the direction of the player, then it should be a b/c violation. If it is truely just a tap of the ball with zero direction control, then no b/c violation.
As APG said, that's completely wrong by rule. The criteria needed to make the correct call is whether there was player control established or not...i.e if the ball came to rest. No player control = no team control. What direction the ball is tapped in has got nothing to do with the call rules-wise.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Controlled tip does not equate to team control which is gained by HOLDING or dribbling the ball.
While I agree with your point here...

One could question whether a player could "control the direction of a tip/tap"- without holding the ball. Even if momentarily (splitting atoms here), If a player rotates their hand to direct a tap would you consider this holding the ball? If a player does this while dribbling we call it a "carry".
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post

One could question whether a player could "control the direction of a tip/tap"- without holding the ball. Even if momentarily (splitting atoms here), If a player rotates their hand to direct a tap would you consider this holding the ball? If a player does this while dribbling we call it a "carry".
If you would grant a timeout during said "control", then you've determined that there was player control. If there's player control, then there's team control.

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

These are the key words. If you say the player is not holding the ball, than how can you call it player control, by rule?

In your second example, "rotating the hand" has no basis in the rules. If, however, while dribbling the ball the ball comes to rest in the hand, than you would consider that holding the ball, and thus any additional dribble would be an illegal dribble.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're allowed to "bat the ball away from other players" (or some such wording) without it establishing PC, and that seems to be the same as "controlling the direction of a tip/tap".

There's a difference between that and "throwing" the ball.

Sometimes you just need to officiate.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's always a judgment call if player control is established on a tip. If the ball comes to rest in the official's judgment, then player control and thus team control are established. What isn't part of the judgment EVER is the direction in which the ball is tipped. That is completely irrelevant rules-wise, no matter how many atoms you split. Whether the hand was rotated or not is also completely irrelevant.

All that matters is whether the ball came to rest or not.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Absolutely, one can control the direction of a tip/tap without holding the ball. In fact, the whole sport of volleyball is built around controlling a ball by tipping, tapping and striking a ball without ever holding it.