The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 09:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Living in Portland, I never thought I'd say this but...

...I might lose some games this week due to snow! The Portland area is noted for not having snow but we do get some occasionally. The funny thing (to me) is that with even one sixteenth of an inch, the schools close. Since I grew up in Chicago, you can see weird this policy seems to me. We're expecting snow here on Wednesday, Thursday and a little on Friday. I have games all three nights, with two on Friday. If schools close for the day, they cancel all activities at the school including the evening ones, even if they're not "official school activities".

Fortunately, it's supposed to be clear with the snow gone by Saturday morning, so I'll probably still have my two games that day and I'm expecting to be assigned some "competitive" MS season-ending tournament games on Sunday. That schedule isn't set yet.

Actually, our local kids rec league goes right up to spring break so I still have games through the 12th of March. Oh yeah, then there's a spring league at a local YMCA but I think I'll pass this year.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
...I might lose some games this week due to snow! The Portland area is noted for not having snow but we do get some occasionally. The funny thing (to me) is that with even one sixteenth of an inch, the schools close. Since I grew up in Chicago, you can see weird this policy seems to me. We're expecting snow here on Wednesday, Thursday and a little on Friday. I have games all three nights, with two on Friday. If schools close for the day, they cancel all activities at the school including the evening ones, even if they're not "official school activities".
Yeah but that's pretty standard for areas that don't get much snow. Sure, Chicago and Buffalo can survive foot after foot of snow but they're also equipped to handle the snow. That's not true of non-snow areas. Roads aren't usually clear and people don't know how to drive in it.

And yes, if schools are closed, then all activites at schools are cancelled as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 06:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Some things I just don't understand.

It takes 6 feet of snow for the schools to close here.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I've lost more games to snow since I moved to Kansas than I lost in South Dakota. It's not the amount of snow- it's the ability to deal with it.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

Because snow is part of the norm where you live.

Here in southeastern VA games most games/school days are not cancelled b/c of the weather, they are cancelled because of the safety concerns in regards to bussing the participants/students to the games/schools.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

Because you're used to it. Your crews prepare the roads in advance, and they've got plows in place and moving before the snow even hits sometimes. They have it literally down to a science.

Other areas just can't prepare; for some it would even been financially irresponsible to prepare for snow storms when it's cheaper just to shut the city down for a couple of days and move on.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 03:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Well, it was supposed to snow last night but it didn't around my area and now it's about five hours before game time and there's not a drop of rain or snow anywhere near here. I live at a pretty low elevation and some of the higher elevations in the metro area (1000 feet and higher) do have some light snow but since the schools I'll be at the next few days are really close to my house, I might actually wind up having the games go ahead as scheduled. I sure hope so. I could use the exercise. Besides that, my wife keeps saying, "You are going to be gone the next few nights, right?" I wonder what she means by that?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Of course - five minutes after I posted the message right above this one, it started snowing. Very light, but here in Portland that's called a blizzard.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 06:15pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Well, it was supposed to snow last night but it didn't around my area and now it's about five hours before game time and there's not a drop of rain or snow anywhere near here. I live at a pretty low elevation and some of the higher elevations in the metro area (1000 feet and higher) do have some light snow but since the schools I'll be at the next few days are really close to my house, I might actually wind up having the games go ahead as scheduled. I sure hope so. I could use the exercise. Besides that, my wife keeps saying, "You are going to be gone the next few nights, right?" I wonder what she means by that?
Since you live in Portland...Do you know anything about the Metro Allstars Officials Camp held in June near Beaverton?? Thinking of going...thanks!
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Besides that, my wife keeps saying, "You are going to be gone the next few nights, right?" I wonder what she means by that?
Could she be wanting to do some "spring" cleaning??
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 07:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Since you live in Portland...Do you know anything about the Metro Allstars Officials Camp held in June near Beaverton?? Thinking of going...thanks!
Nope, sorry. Maybe Camron knows something about it.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 07:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Here in southeastern VA games most games/school days are not cancelled b/c of the weather, they are cancelled because of the safety concerns in regards to bussing the participants/students to the games/schools.
And just let one school bus slide off a road because school wasn't closed when it should have been......I'm from PA and remember the good ole days too.

This ain't the good ole days.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 08:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Of course - five minutes after I posted the message right above this one, it started snowing. Very light, but here in Portland that's called a blizzard.
And it snowed for about three minutes, then took about five minutes to melt or go away, or whatever it does to disappear. Now the TV weather guys are saying the most snow we "might" get is just a "trace" overnight and there might be under an inch when we wake up tomorrow morning.

The really good news is that none of my games are canceled. Leaving for tonight's game in about an hour. It's a long drive to the school - about four to four and a half minutes depending on whether or not I catch the one stoplight between here and there.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 08:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Great - just got called by the assignor that the game tonight is canceled. It seems the visiting team, which would have to come from the other side of town, decided not to drive over here.

I guess I'll just have to watch another four or five Law & Order reruns.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 09:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Honorary NVA Official......

Quote:
Great - just got called by the assignor that the game tonight is canceled. It seems the visiting team, which would have to come from the other side of town, decided not to drive over here.
Welcome to Virginia!