The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 09:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question What were they thinking? Oh wait - they weren't.

Three rec games today - the final one was a girls HS contest. With just over three minutes left, team A inbounds leading by six. A1 stands just inside the division line dribbling. B1 stands inside the FT circle with her hands up - way more than six feet away. All the other team A players also just stand around in the front court with the team B players standing behind them. One full minute goes off the clock. Then another full minute. Some of the parents are yelling for team B to foul, but their coach is totally silent. Then, with just a few seconds left on the clock, A1 launches a three and it goes in. Team B doesn't even inbound, but just walks off the court as the horn goes off.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

BTW - in an earlier game, a 7/8 grade girls team had a play called "Bieber"!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Three rec games today - the final one was a boys HS contest. As the teams are warming up, we're sitting behind the scorer's table, catching a few moments of rest but still watching the warm-ups. Blue #34 attempts a dunk and grabs the rim. From my chair, my first sitting technical foul. #34 hears my whistle, looks over and sees the T. I interrupt my break, walk over to the scorer, and report the T. I see #34 walk over to his coach and tell him what happened. The coach, and his wife, walk over and ask me what happened. I tell him we're starting the game with a technical foul on #34, that he loses the coaching box and cannot stand. "You're kidding! Why?" I explain it. #34 walks over and tells me that Myers Park got 2 warnings and no T last week when they dunked during warmups. "Well, it might have been a warning last week and it might a warning next week. But this week, it's a T." Then, after we start the game, the coach is sitting but his assistant is standing. I tell him to sit, they tell me that wasn't the rule last week.

I'm still trying to figure that one out, too.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Worked an early morning 3 game set of recG. 2nd game, teams take court to warm-up. 9 players, 6 with tape on their ears. Yep it's 6 sets of stud ear rings. Inform coach of no jewelry rule. I am told that they have played with tape for the last 7 weeks. I tell him not today. He appeals to the gym supervisor. She backs the written rule. 6 players run to their Mothers and now 3 of 6 Moms come to inform me that they are "new" and can't be taken out or 60 days. One informs me "they were just put in this morning". To bad so sad, choose studs or playing time. I am informed that I am "heartless", "mean" and "on a power trip", by a different type of "hot moms". End up with one crying girl on the bench with studs still in. By the start of the second quarter one of her friends had removed the studs for her, tears dried, she subs in. I am amazed that there are that many officials willing to risk setting aside a clearly stated player safety rule.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 07:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had a G player show up a few years back and begin her warm-ups with newly braided hair with beads in it. When I informed her she couldn't play with them in, I was met by a not so happy mom and coach. You know how long it takes to braid hair and how much it can cost?

Obviously, the young lady was committed, as her mom removed her beads. I was impressed! Good player too.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Either or

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Three rec games today - the final one was a boys HS contest. As the teams are warming up, we're sitting behind the scorer's table, catching a few moments of rest but still watching the warm-ups. Blue #34 attempts a dunk and grabs the rim. From my chair, my first sitting technical foul. #34 hears my whistle, looks over and sees the T. I interrupt my break, walk over to the scorer, and report the T. I see #34 walk over to his coach and tell him what happened. The coach, and his wife, walk over and ask me what happened. I tell him we're starting the game with a technical foul on #34, that he loses the coaching box and cannot stand. "You're kidding! Why?" I explain it. #34 walks over and tells me that Myers Park got 2 warnings and no T last week when they dunked during warmups. "Well, it might have been a warning last week and it might a warning next week. But this week, it's a T." Then, after we start the game, the coach is sitting but his assistant is standing. I tell him to sit, they tell me that wasn't the rule last week.

I'm still trying to figure that one out, too.
Coach or assistant coach, they lose the box. Period.
And kudos on the sitting technical. Sounds like the most relaxing T ever. lol.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
Coach or assistant coach, they lose the box. Period.
And kudos on the sitting technical. Sounds like the most relaxing T ever. lol.
The assistant coach can't lose the box because he never had one in the first place. Assistants by rule are not allowed to stand save for specific exceptions.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The assistant coach can't lose the box because he never had one in the first place. Assistants by rule are not allowed to stand save for specific exceptions.
I really don't mind assistants standing up the majority of the time (they're usually antsy as can be, lol) until they start trying to talk to me like they were the Coach. Then just a quick "reminder" of the rules and they sit down.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really don't mind assistants standing up the majority of the time (they're usually antsy as can be, lol) until they start trying to talk to me like they were the Coach. Then just a quick "reminder" of the rules and they sit down.
Well know by rule you're incorrect. An assistant coach gets up a couple of times (save for exceptions allowed by rule), I'll give a coach a friendly reminder about the rule. Heck I probably won't even catch it if it's infrequent. But there's no way in hell I'm allowing assistants and other bench personnel to be up the whole game. I let that go in a high school varsity game, then I'll hear about it, and rightly so.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well know by rule you're incorrect. An assistant coach gets up a couple of times (save for exceptions allowed by rule), I'll give a coach a friendly reminder about the rule. Heck I probably won't even catch it if it's infrequent. But there's no way in hell I'm allowing assistants and other bench personnel to be up the whole game. I let that go in a high school varsity game, then I'll hear about it, and rightly so.
And in a hs varsity game i would 110% agree with you, but not a rec game.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know we don't enforce everything at the rec level. That usually applies to administrative issues and jersey issues. We might even decide not to enforce traveling as tightly. But I don't know why we would be lax on this issue...especially when saying a few words takes care of the situation...

Me: "Coach by rule I can't have all your assistants standing up.
Coach: "Hey y'all need to sit!"

*Issue solved*

I can say that I'd probably hear something about this if I let this happen in a middle school game, but as the saying goes, "When in Rome..." If that's how your league wants it handled then so be it.

Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

A week or so I heardtwo great ones from the fans

Hey ref it was goaltending he hit the ball on the way up!

Later the same game after a ball went through and scored, That was a goaltend!

Of course I heard a partner in a Varsity Girls game that the reason for the blovking foul was that she was moving backwards...

And Saturday, AAU type game....

Coach was at midcourt (actaully standing at the X) and I am tryig to get him back in the box and wont move. I move farther down the floor, he tells me I should be watching the game and not him...I point and tell coaches box is starts here. (point at start of box) and he yells back refereeing is out there!

Whack! and then he does not want to sit down. He alomost bough two.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 01:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry, but it's even more important in a rec game where the AC is likely to take his ability to stand as a license to complain about calls. A quick, "Sorry, coach, but only the head coach gets to use the coaching box" takes care of it quickly.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 03:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sorry, but it's even more important in a rec game where the AC is likely to take his ability to stand as a license to complain about calls. A quick, "Sorry, coach, but only the head coach gets to use the coaching box" takes care of it quickly.
I see it more during Rec Leagues and handle it in a similar fashion on the way by the bench. Have never had a problem after that.