The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How can this be? I've been doing this for thirty years, and I have never had a blarge in any of my games, nor have I seen a blarge in any that I've observed.
I think he means "block/charge" plays in general, not the double foul variety we love to hate.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Me too. And the human face I bring is usually the one of a fan that pissed me off.
Ladies and gentlemen, Hannibal Lechter has donned the stripes. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Being an official has ruined my life as a basketball fan. Every time I go to a game in person, or watch one on television, I'm not watching the players, I'm watching the officials. This even happens when I go to UCONN men's, or women's game, and I'm not even a college official. I've had friends, or family, ask me, "Hey BillyMac, wasn't that a great pass?", to which I reply, "What pass? Did you see that official close down on the three point shot?".

When I eventually give up officiating, will I ever be able to go back to being a fan? Please tell me that I can go back. Someone? Please?

I too have been struck with this affliction. In surfing games on TV, my first focus is who is on game.

At our local high school, I'm now sitting on visitor's side in a corner far far away from the madding crowd. On a rare occasion when I'm with the parents, "was that a foul?" is the mantra directed at me.It's nails on a chalkboard when all the cliches come out "call it both ways" at the top of the list.

I will admit however, under my breath, watching my son's games and having some pretty green freshman refs, that I revert to being a dad. Just a momentary lapse I promise you.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I will admit however, under my breath, watching my son's games and having some pretty green freshman refs, that I revert to being a dad. Just a momentary lapse I promise you.
I have had this experience as well, or at least part of it. I now keep my mouth shut.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I too have been struck with this affliction. In surfing games on TV, my first focus is who is on game.

At our local high school, I'm now sitting on visitor's side in a corner far far away from the madding crowd. On a rare occasion when I'm with the parents, "was that a foul?" is the mantra directed at me.It's nails on a chalkboard when all the cliches come out "call it both ways" at the top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I have had this experience as well, or at least part of it. I now keep my mouth shut.
I believe judtech has a 12-step program he can refer you to.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, Hannibal Lechter has donned the stripes. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Everybody should have a role model.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Letemplay - good post!
+1 Letemplay, we've walked similar walks. Interesting how your perspectives and experiences matched some of mine.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fan asks me, "Isn't that goaltending?", which led to a quick, friendly, discussion about the difference between goaltending, and basket interference.
So Billy...did you tell the friendly fan that the official kicked the call?

Or did the official indeed kick the call?

That's the problem with sitting with fans...they are going to look to the official in the stands to legitimize their complaints...be it by our "friendly explanations" or even by our facial expressions.

IMO...we have to be very careful not to throw our "partners" under the bus, even with a friendly explanation or frown on a call.

But, I'm sure you know that...just throwing it out here.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 03:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
My daughter played field hockey, so I was a totally clueless fan. For 4 years.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
My daughter played field hockey, so I was a totally clueless fan. For 4 years.
Sounds like me and volleyball as far as rules go, thank God she only played for two years. Sheer torture for me to watch volleyball games in about 50 ways!
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nowhere Near The Bus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Did you tell the friendly fan that the official kicked the call?
No. The ball dropped down from the rim into the net at about the same time the net was barely touched. Since the ball went in the basket, I would have passed on it also.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I'll share my story on the thread subject.
I'm glad you did, letemplay. Great perspective.

Here's a "for what it's worth."

A few years ago, I'm working a youth tournament with teams from all over the state. In one game, the coach is a very well respected official from another board.

I'm the T. Right in front of his bench, the point guard made a very strange shuffling move, an easy travel for me. I whistle, and the coach is aghast.

"(Bainsey), what did he do?!?"

I quickly reancted the motion to the best of my ability. (My pivot foot is always the left foot, because I have two of them.) I was a little surprised he didn't see the obvious shuffle.

The following year, this same gentleman is working a tournament game, and he has a similar travel call for foot shuffle in front of a bench. All I could do was burst out laughing!

Okay, it wasn't all I did. I found him after the game and called his attention to that travel call.

"Last year, you busted my hump at a youth tournament for the exact same call!"

He just smiled guiltily.

"You probably called in on my kid, that's why."
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

As for sitting amongst the fans...

I began officiating basketball when I was 14 years old. Not having a driver license until 16, my mother used to haul me around from gym to gym so I could work my games.

She still tells stories of what it was like sitting in the stands listening to parents whine and cry about calls/no-calls.

Her favorite's include the half-time chit-chat where after 2 quarters of complaining about how terrible the refs were... someone would ask "which one on the court is your kid?" to which she would proudly reply "The one with the whistle." Hahahaha.

Or the time she went to switch seats at half, a "lady" asked her if she wanted her seat saved, and mom replies "no thank you, I am tired of hearing what an a$$hole my son is, I will sit elsewhere."

Gotta love Mom.

And yes.... Hot Moms.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

It's an **cking shame that grown adults felt the need to berate an official who isn't even considered an adult...but nothing surprises me today.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's an **cking shame that grown adults felt the need to berate an official who isn't even considered an adult...but nothing surprises me today.
Back before I learned to just ignore fans, and if anything, laugh at their demonstration of ignorance regarding rules, I used to engage them from time-to-time.

My favorite way to "get even" was to call an "Official's TO" stop the game and embarrass the sh$t out of them. Often this would involve reminding them that they are adults, and we are all here for the kids on the court, and that they need to "SET AN EXAMPLE".

Of course I also offered my whistle to a "lady" once. I figured if she was so sure she could do a better job than my partner and I, she should be given the opportunity... She of course graciously declined and I didn't hear a peep out of her the rest of the game.