The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

THIS FALL I WAS DOING A GIRLS GAME WHEN THE FANS AT ONE END OF THE COURT START IN ON COMMENTS ABOUT ME BEING A FEMALE OFFICIAL. I'M ABLE TO HANDLE THEM UNTIL THE COMMENT CAME "YOU MUST NOT BE A GOOD REF UNLESS YOU WEAR A SPORTS BRA." AT WHICH POINT I GIVE THE TEAM A TECHNICAL AND PLAY GOES ON WITH NO OTHER PROBLEMS. AFTER THE GAME THE COACH ASKS ME WHAT WAS SAID AND TELLS ME I SHOULD HAVE JUST STOPPED THE GAME AND HAD THE KIDS REMOVED. I HOWEVER DON'T AGREE WITH THIS, THESE KIDS KNOW BETTER THEN TO SAY THINGS LIKE THAT AND BY JUST HAVING THEM REMOVED I BELIEVE THAT NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE THE THE ADMIN. THIS WAY I NOT ONLY GOT THE KIDS ATTENTION BUT EVERYONES. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duster
Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by AMANDA on 12-22-1999 06:52 PM
THIS FALL I WAS DOING A GIRLS GAME WHEN THE FANS AT ONE END OF THE COURT START IN ON COMMENTS ABOUT ME BEING A FEMALE OFFICIAL. I'M ABLE TO HANDLE THEM UNTIL THE COMMENT CAME "YOU MUST NOT BE A GOOD REF UNLESS YOU WEAR A SPORTS BRA." AT WHICH POINT I GIVE THE TEAM A TECHNICAL AND PLAY GOES ON WITH NO OTHER PROBLEMS. AFTER THE GAME THE COACH ASKS ME WHAT WAS SAID AND TELLS ME I SHOULD HAVE JUST STOPPED THE GAME AND HAD THE KIDS REMOVED. I HOWEVER DON'T AGREE WITH THIS, THESE KIDS KNOW BETTER THEN TO SAY THINGS LIKE THAT AND BY JUST HAVING THEM REMOVED I BELIEVE THAT NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE THE THE ADMIN. THIS WAY I NOT ONLY GOT THE KIDS ATTENTION BUT EVERYONES. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

You did the right thing.. I am just starting out in Reffing basketball, and a guy.. so less stress there.. but the fans really shouldn't be making "RUDE" Comments to you like that. If it ever happens again give them a warning first though.. and notify an administrator. If it reoccurs the "T" Them.

------------------
KSHSAA Soccer Official,
Newton Recreation Basketball Official
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot quibble with your calling the technical foul.

However, I feel that the first action in most cases should be to let the home team management correct the situation. Then if the problem persists, a technical foul would be the next solution. Should there be no resolution, then the 'final' could be applied.

In my 27 years of officiating I have never called a technical foul on spectators, but I have had many a fan removed from the gym.

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 12-22-1999 08:20 PM
I cannot quibble with your calling the technical foul.

However, I feel that the first action in most cases should be to let the home team management correct the situation. Then if the problem persists, a technical foul would be the next solution. Should there be no resolution, then the 'final' could be applied.

In my 27 years of officiating I have never called a technical foul on spectators, but I have had many a fan removed from the gym.

It is written in the federation book that let the home team management control the spectators, the penalty for the home team is a heavy, what if they were visiting team fans and you are not sure?
One sure way to get into trouble is to listen to the fans, work your game as if they do not exist unless they get physical(throw things or come on the court),then you act immediately.
Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 04:44am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Some fans are just idiots... Ignore them!

If they force you to pay attention to them (i.e. cussing, screaming at the top of their lungs, etc.) then stop the game and have the home team management deal with them.

Don't penalize the players and the coach because of some moron fan unless you absolutely have to.

Later,
Brad
Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

quote:

Hey you guys got a rule that allows you to T a team or coach when fans get ugly.

Boy do all refs need that.
Old Thu Dec 23, 1999, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Don Shannon
Amanda,
Good Job nobody got hurt by the "T". It sounds like the level was younger then High School age and if that is the case next time stop the game and let them know that actions like that are unacceptable and if it persist their team will suffer with a "T". In doing so you shift the focus from yourself to them, also inform the Coach and or game admin of your intentions. Don't let them push your buttons and deal with everything in a nonchalant matter, because if they get to you they got you. Good Luck, when we put on the stripped shirt and put air into the whistle we are all the same.

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 12:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

There is a guy in my association who also does rec league soccer (you know, the sport for kids who can't use their hands). He told me that in one youth league he works in, they have a rule that if a parent yells at the official - their kid has to come out of the game! He says it is the quietest league he's ever worked. Cool!
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I for one don't use technicals that freely. You needed to notify an administrator first. A tech should only come as a last resort if administration or coaches don't help you out.

Question: Did you and do you locate the administrator on duty prior to each game and introduce yourself?
quote:

Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Amanda,
You always have the 'T' in your arsenal, but how you use it is what seperates the better officials. By the way I love your name, my granddaughter has the same name and will be ruling the world some day. Anyway, I had a similar situation just last week. Sr. boys game very close, 4 minutes to go, time-out. I go to center court to discuss the game with the 'R', my best freind. While I am there a fan finally gets my attention. He had been yelling all night "that sucks" on every call that went against his team, the visitors. I had ignored him to that point. I turned to him and said "sir, I have heard enough of your personal remarks". But he continued. I turned again and said "sir you will be asked to leave the game if you continue your comments". He had to have the last word, so I step out on the court a few feet and pointed at him and then to the door. My partner had already headed for the local sheriff, I swear it was Barney Fiffe. But the fan did leave. The ironic thing is that the last 4 minutes was the best BB all night and his team finally won. Some fans are idots. In your case if you had no support from mangement, warn the coach first then if he does not take care of the fans then reach way down and pull out the 'T'. By the way one of my partners is a female and I protect her like she is my sister. She hardly ever gets to 'T' anyone because my partner and I take care of the situation before she has a chance to get her whistle in her mouth. Good luck and have a Merry Christmas & a great New Year, 2000 wow!!!
Jerry
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

AMANDA,

THE HOME TEAMS MANAGEMENT SHOULD HAVE RESOLVED THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. I HAVE NOTICED IT GETTING WORSE IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. I HAVE OFFICIATED GAMES THAT THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION IS VERY SCARCE.

THIS SHOULD BE A ITEM IN YOUR PREGAME CONFERENCE WITH YOUR PARTNER. **WHAT SHOULD WE DO IF WE HAVE TROUBLE WITH A FAN ? WHO DO WE CONTACT ? ASK THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WHERE SCHOOL OFFICALS WILL BE DURING THE CONTEST.

IF THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION WON'T HANDLE THE SITUATION, ONLY THEN GIVE THE TEAM A TECHNICAL FOUL. DON'T PUNISH THE PLAYERS, UNLESS THERE COACH OR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WON'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.

***AS A LAST RESORT IF THE PROBLEM IS TO SEVERE, AND THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION, AND THEN THE TECHNICAL FOUL DOESN'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FORFIET THE GAME.

IF YOU GIVE HAVE ANY TROUBLE AT ALL WITH THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR, AFTER THE GAME WRITE A LETTER TO THE STATE ASSOCIATION EXPLAINING THE PROBLEM. CHANCES ARE THEY WILL RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.

I HAVE OFFICIATED FOR ABOUT 11 YEARS. I DON'T WANT TO SOUND TO NEGATIVE, BUT I HAD A SITUATION IN 1996 DURING A LIGHTING STORM DURING A BASEBALL GAME. A COACH YELLED AT ME AND USED PROFANITY TELLING ME I WAS GOING TO PLAY THE GAME DURING LIGHTING. I FORFIETED THE GAME. I WAS ATTACKED THE NEXT NIGHT DURING A SOFTBALL GAME AT THE SAME SCHOOL, BY THE BASEBALL TEAM.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLIDAY'S
Old Fri Dec 24, 1999, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Mickey C on 12-23-1999 11:43 PM
I for one don't use technicals that freely. You needed to notify an administrator first. A tech should only come as a last resort if administration or coaches don't help you out.

Question: Did you and do you locate the administrator on duty prior to each game and introduce yourself?
[/q
ON THE DAY THIS HAPPENED IT WAS WHAT WE IN NORTH DAKOTA CALL A CLASS "B" DAY WHERE SEVERAL TEAMS PLAY IN ONE CENTRAL LOCATION, THERE WAS TWO GYMS AND AT THE GYM I WAS IN THERE WAS NO ADMIN. AROUND AS THEY WERE AT THE OTHER GYM. AND WE ALWAYS KNOW WHO THE ADMIN. IS AND HAVE A TALK WITH THEM PRIOR TO EACH GAME. I REF WITH GUYS THAT HAVE BEEN AT THIS FOR 10 YEARS OR MORE SO I HAVE GOOD MENTORS.
Old Sat Dec 25, 1999, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe a little overreaction. You always have the authority to remove these people, and coaches and Administrators are more than willing to assist. I remember a situation when someone was trying real hard to get my attenion with smarta$$ comments,when he finally got to me I just gave a quick glance at him and chuckled a little, he and his buddies laughed too. You see he was just putting on a show for his friends. When he realized that I heard what he was saying and also had a sense of humour he completely layed off. A situation like this can go either way, but by dishing out the T right away, you run the risk of making every fan and player your enemy at once. Just a little food for thought.
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duster
[quoteShe hardly ever gets to 'T' anyone because my partner and I take care of the situation before she has a chance to get her whistle in her mouth.[/quote]

I thought that we officials were supposed to have our wistles in our mouths during play.. So that way we dont have to "Find" our wistles.

------------------
KSHSAA Soccer Official,
Newton Recreation Basketball Official
Old Sun Dec 26, 1999, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I just realized that I do not wear a sports bra. But I think I am a good official. Does this make me different?