The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Snappy Response?

Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!" I say, " he doesn't have to, he only has to start his shooting motion." Coach says, "I've never heard that before!" I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

"Coach, he was attempting to shoot and the foul prevented him from releasing the ball". That would have been my first response.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudwhistle2 View Post
i haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?
" "
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:12pm
We don't rent pigs

"Two shots."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!" I say, " he doesn't have to, he only has to start his shooting motion." Coach says, "I've never heard that before!" I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?
If you feel a need to reply to "I've never heard that before!", how about "Ya, it's in there," or, "Ok, coach." But I don't see a need to reply to his last comment.

"Check the rule book" is a command, which isn't a necessary thing to say. "Ya, it's in there" is just a confirmation that you know the rule, which is, imho, a better response. But since you did say "...start his shooting motion", I think you said exactly what needed to be said and you could have left it there.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Skip the last comment you said. Problem solved.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hand him the rule book instead. lol. i thought your comment was well justified and not at all demeaning in any way. Dont worry yourself about it too much
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!"
Personally, thats where my coversation with coach would end.

He asked a question, you answered it!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Check the rule book, sir"
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Then you might want to get your hearing aid checked"
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wish I had a dollar every time I hear a coach say this. Which is why I do not worry about what they think, the call is going to be the same.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 04:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Coach, do you really think we should punish a shooter because the defender's foul prevented him from releasing the shot?"

In reality, I'm saying what bob said.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

1) Always listen to Bob.

2) I've also heard, "She hasn't had that called on her all year!!" At halftime, one of my partners told me he made the same call on the same player the previous week.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
Hand him the rule book instead. lol. i thought your comment was well justified and not at all demeaning in any way. Dont worry yourself about it too much
Hey new guy, shape up or ship out.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 10:44pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
That's just bad advice.

Quote:
...I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?
You're instincts are right...it should bother you. It's probably well deserved by the coach, but it's inappropriate. We're paid to be more professional than your response indicates.