The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Snappy Response? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62617-snappy-response.html)

Loudwhistle2 Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:04pm

Snappy Response?

Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!" I say, " he doesn't have to, he only has to start his shooting motion." Coach says, "I've never heard that before!" I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?

Raymond Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:10pm

"Coach, he was attempting to shoot and the foul prevented him from releasing the ball". That would have been my first response.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudwhistle2 (Post 730902)
i haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?

" "

just another ref Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:12pm

"Two shots."

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 (Post 730902)
Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!" I say, " he doesn't have to, he only has to start his shooting motion." Coach says, "I've never heard that before!" I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?

If you feel a need to reply to "I've never heard that before!", how about "Ya, it's in there," or, "Ok, coach." But I don't see a need to reply to his last comment.

"Check the rule book" is a command, which isn't a necessary thing to say. "Ya, it's in there" is just a confirmation that you know the rule, which is, imho, a better response. But since you did say "...start his shooting motion", I think you said exactly what needed to be said and you could have left it there.

APG Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:14pm

Skip the last comment you said. Problem solved.

ThatOneRef Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Hand him the rule book instead. lol. i thought your comment was well justified and not at all demeaning in any way. Dont worry yourself about it too much

tref Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:30pm

Quote:

Called a shooting foul last night because a player grabbed the shooters bicep and prevented the shot from being released. Report foul, coach wants explanation of why we are shooting free throws. I tell him the shooter was in the habitual shooting motion when he was grabbed on the arm. Coach says, "but he never released the ball!"

Personally, thats where my coversation with coach would end.

He asked a question, you answered it!

JFlores Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:37pm

Quote:

"Check the rule book, sir"

Judtech Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:40pm

Quote:

"Then you might want to get your hearing aid checked":eek:

JRutledge Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:47pm

I wish I had a dollar every time I hear a coach say this. Which is why I do not worry about what they think, the call is going to be the same. ;)

Peace

Adam Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:52pm

"Coach, do you really think we should punish a shooter because the defender's foul prevented him from releasing the shot?"

In reality, I'm saying what bob said.

DesMoines Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:15pm

1) Always listen to Bob.

2) I've also heard, "She hasn't had that called on her all year!!" At halftime, one of my partners told me he made the same call on the same player the previous week.

eyezen Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneRef (Post 730914)
Hand him the rule book instead. lol. i thought your comment was well justified and not at all demeaning in any way. Dont worry yourself about it too much

Hey new guy, shape up or ship out.

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOneRef (Post 730914)

:eek: That's just bad advice.

Quote:

...I snap back, "check the rule book!" He sort of glares at me. I haven't ever said my last comment to a coach and its kind of bothering me, any suggestions on a better reply?

You're instincts are right...it should bother you. It's probably well deserved by the coach, but it's inappropriate. We're paid to be more professional than your response indicates.