The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 07:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Coaches arrested

From the Eugene Oregon Register-Guard newspaper:

Eighth-Grade Coaches Face Charges For Scuffle

EUGENE, Ore. -- A pair of Oregon youth basketball coaches are facing disorderly conduct charges after they got into an argument and shoving match at a game between eighth-graders last month.

The Register-Guard reports that a judge has ordered 34-year-old Jeffery Cox of Eugene and 24-year-old Michael Caley of Springfield to avoid any contact with each other pending their trials.

Cox appeared Monday before a Eugene Municipal Court judge and pleaded not guilty to disorderly conduct and physical harassment.

Caley told The Register-Guard last week he would also plead not guilty to disorderly conduct for his alleged participation in the Jan. 22 scuffle after Cox confronted him about a foul he said was unnecessarily rough.

Kidsports, the youth basketball league that organizes the games, has already disciplined both men.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Keep us posted,if you will.....................
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Gotta love my hometown Rec League. Kisdsports has been good to me for many years, and overall the sportsmanship and talent has steadily improved each season.

Former University of Oregon Women's Basketball coach Bev Smith has done a spectacular job as the new president of the our league. It is sad that 2 "major" incidents posted in this forum this year came from our league. I was one of the 2 officials in the "Sucker punch game" (Easier for us to see-thread).

As for the coaches incident, I know one of them was suspended at least one game, and the other was suspended indefinitely (probably for years or permanent ban).

Gotta love youth games, where I often spend more time dealing with adult behavior than I do the kids on the court. Whatever happened to setting an example???
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Gotta love my hometown Rec League. Kisdsports has been good to me for many years, and overall the sportsmanship and talent has steadily improved each season.

Former University of Oregon Women's Basketball coach Bev Smith has done a spectacular job as the new president of the our league. It is sad that 2 "major" incidents posted in this forum this year came from our league. I was one of the 2 officials in the "Sucker punch game" (Easier for us to see-thread).

As for the coaches incident, I know one of them was suspended at least one game, and the other was suspended indefinitely (probably for years or permanent ban).

Gotta love youth games, where I often spend more time dealing with adult behavior than I do the kids on the court. Whatever happened to setting an example???
Woah you were at the game? i was at the game after and heard all about it. Made the local news at 10 and the paper. I do agree that Bev has done really good for kidsports. 9 seasons under my belt and only a few incidents like this have ever happened that i've heard of. Kids and parents alike enjoy the kidsports program. BUT i don't agree that the sportsmanship and talent has improved. The parents, players, and coaches are always the same every year. Even when they make you do that pathetic pledge at the beginning of the game. (kidsports thing) There will always be situations like this (sucker punch), i just don't understand why....

Heard through the grapevine that the coaches involved in this incident are also not allowed on any school campuses.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

No I was not at the "Coaches" game. Which occurred at Jefferson Middle School. I did speak with one of the officials at the game and got some "rumor-intelligence" as to some of the words exchanged between the coaches.

I said I was one of the two officials in the other incident, where kid sucker punched opponent, see the thread titled "Easier for us to see" there is a video of the sucker punch. My partner is the ref making the call and tossing #34.

As for the SPORTSMANSHIP being any better or worse from year to year...
I guess maybe it is just my perception and that by gaining confidence and earning respect from longtime coaches etc... I don't hear as much garbage during games directed at officials or between parents/coaches.

As for the TALENT I absolutely feel that even the lil-guys are playing "better" basketball with regards to fundamentals. IMO a 5th grade boys team from 10 years ago -vs- todays teams, the "modern" teams are more competitive and seem to have a better grasp of how to run plays etc...

I think youth programs, such as KIDSPORTS, have provided opportunities to introduce kids as young as 2nd grade to various sports which has allowed players to progress more rapidly.