The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
NFHS Survey time

Go to NFHS | National Federation of State High School Associations and look for the survey under winter questionnaires. A chance to have some input with the rules committee and some insight into items they might be considering.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of questions that deal with having to be the fashion police...

I hate being the fashion police.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I have found I've had to do this much, much less this yr. I actually think they're starting to get it......until they change the rules again of course!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Rule Change ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I actually think they're starting to get it.
I think the rule change regarding the addition of any school color for headbands, and wristbands, made a big difference. Now, I just look for all the same colors. I don't bother to research whether, or not, the color is an official school color. I'll leave that up to the detectives on Law and Order: Special Fashion Unit.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 12, 2011 at 07:58am.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
BillyMac..that is some funny stuff right there! I don't care who you are!

I hate being the fashion police, but I was waiting for a "running clock over 40 point spread" question and never got it.

Please for the love of all that is holy, give us a shot clock, "mercy rule" or both. These games can get ugly on 2 ends of the spectrum.

Either boring with a team holding the ball, or way out of hand with a team pressing after leading by outrageous margins. These 2 rule changes would help the competitive balance of the games as well as get games finished that are clearly decided.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
I do also, however, when my Catholic middle school assigner tells us that we will not get paid if he finds out that we've "passed" on the wrong color undershirt, wrong color wristband, wrong color headband, or jewelry, then one tends to develop a "good eye" for such "Fashion Police" issues.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:01pm
Back from the DL

Here's a more direct link.

No-one likes being the fashion police, but you have to think these rules came from somewhere. The undershirts/wristbands/etc. must have gotten out of hand enough for someone to care.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Here's a more direct link.

No-one likes being the fashion police, but you have to think these rules came from somewhere. The undershirts/wristbands/etc. must have gotten out of hand enough for someone to care.
I don't mind the undershirts, even the wristbands, etc. The problem I have is some of the rules have been fine tuned into such detail that they're absurd. Regulating the size and color of the wrist band is one thing, but to further regulate the size of the manufacturer's logo? Wow.

Regulating the size and color of a headband is one thing, but to exempt "hair control devices" seems odd given how tightly everything else is regulated.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question implications

4. Would you be in favor of "having “team control” during a throw-in? Outcome: An illegal screen or any foul by the throw-in team would be considered a team-control foul resulting in a throw-in to the offended team. Currently, free throws could be awarded if a team is in the bonus."

I feel that this rule then would cause unintended consequences on the throw-in. If a team has a throw-in in their FC, A1 (thrower) passes to A2 in the FC, but ball is tipped by A2 into the BC, a BC violation could then be called if A recovers.

Am I applying the rules and possible change correctly? Opinions?
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
4. Would you be in favor of "having “team control” during a throw-in? Outcome: An illegal screen or any foul by the throw-in team would be considered a team-control foul resulting in a throw-in to the offended team. Currently, free throws could be awarded if a team is in the bonus."

I feel that this rule then would cause unintended consequences on the throw-in. If a team has a throw-in in their FC, A1 (thrower) passes to A2 in the FC, but ball is tipped by A2 into the BC, a BC violation could then be called if A recovers.

Am I applying the rules and possible change correctly? Opinions?
You would have to make an exception to the rule allowing the throw-in to be thrown into the backcourt regardless of location. All the NFHS would have to do is copy the NCAA rule since they are the same.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You would have to make an exception to the rule allowing the throw-in to be thrown into the backcourt regardless of location. All the NFHS would have to do is copy the NCAA rule since they are the same.
Would that also take care of the play I described?

I agree that a throw-in from the FC could still be thrown into the BC directly as a person OOB does not have FC or BC status.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
Would that also take care of the play I described?

I agree that a throw-in from the FC could still be thrown into the BC directly as a person OOB does not have FC or BC status.
Your play would not be a backcourt violation.

NCAA Rule
4-3
Art. 5. Regardless of where the throw-in spot is located, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court.