The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question I still do not see how you can do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
yeah...I messed up the terminology on those. My bad. I was thinking of traveling and cary's and those types of things and those two popped into my head as things I've seen problems with.

I have no problem with calling the same game if you can, but all these thing you gave as an example, can easily not be seen by partners. In a 3 Person game, I might not know why my partner called what he or she did on a travel. It would not be for me the next time to just look for a travel when I get a chance, especially when one did not take place. The same for a handcheck. Usually the same player might be doing the traveling or carries and if they are doing it call it. But it does not mean that both teams are doing the same thing. One team might be better coached than the other. You do not want to penalize a team that their actions are completely within the rules. Do this does not make you consistent. Being consistent is calling the game as it happens. And if one player travels, you get the next kid that travels, regardless of team or who did it. It is not uncommon to have two teams playing two different styles of games. You might not have the same block/charge calls with a team playing a Man to Man Defense and the other playing Zone.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Alright...I'll try again..

Let's say that one official is letting the players get away with putting their hand on the side of the ball and turning it over, but the other official is calling that SAME action a carry. That is what I mean by consistency..the SAME action being called two different things.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question How long are you watching your partner?

Quote:
Alright...I'll try again..

Let's say that one official is letting the players get away with putting their hand on the side of the ball and turning it over, but the other official is calling that SAME action a carry. That is what I mean by consistency..the SAME action being called two different things.
My point is, you might not be totally aware of what your partner is not calling. You can only watch what your partner is doing very little of the time. That might mean that your partner is not at the same judgement level that you are at. It does not mean that you just adjust to one call because you called one thing and your partner called another. Just like anything, you should talk at halftime or between quarters and even during timeouts if you can. Get on the same page as much as you can, but in the end you have to call your own game. If you just do not make calls just because you want to match your partner, you might be precieved as just a bad official like your partner. You still have to call what you see and what occurs.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I was saying. You need to have that done before the game. I'm not talking about things where it may have been different. I'm talking about the exact same action. No you can't watch what your partner is doing, that is why you need to get it straight before the game and be consistant with it from the start.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Pregame is very important.

Quote:
That's what I was saying. You need to have that done before the game. I'm not talking about things where it may have been different. I'm talking about the exact same action. No you can't watch what your partner is doing, that is why you need to get it straight before the game and be consistant with it from the start.
We need to understand that there are officials that just have more talent than other officials. You cannot expect every call to be perfect as a crew. You do the best you can. Eliminate as many mistakes as you can, then get out. You are not going to make every game perfect and everyone is not going to be on the same page. We can all call the same things and one official will be picked on because that official made more of the calls. Especially in a 3 Person game, it is not uncommon to have one or two officials making all the calls. I have done a 3 Person game and only made 4 calls the entire game. It just works out that way sometimes. And that could have been because I just personally was not having the best game or my partners just had a lot happen around them. Either way there is nothing wrong with that situation. Call the game you see and get out. Not much else you can do in my opinion. But that is why it is always stressed to have a good pregame. That is the best way to at least start on some kind of similar wavelink.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I can say just from my camp experience about three man. When I had a crew with two people who never called three man, it went wrong. Everything was terrible. When I worked a game with two very experience three man officials(both call college), the game went like silk. Your partner(s) do make a difference.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 02:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Totally agree!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I can say just from my camp experience about three man. When I had a crew with two people who never called three man, it went wrong. Everything was terrible. When I worked a game with two very experience three man officials(both call college), the game went like silk. Your partner(s) do make a difference.
Completely agree. Alot depends on the type of experience your partners have in 3 Person to make it work.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Heck, Tim,
Being in camp, worrying about where to go and how you look and which hand to raise... your newbee camper partners were probably not concentrating on the game at hand.

I've always thought that teams can get screwed at official's camps, but bless 'em for coming anyway.

mick
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Which hand to raise was not the issue at camp. Where to stand was. For these partner's. This was not there first game to call. It was there first time with a third official on the floor. I would rotate and everyone was lost. I saw three one one side of the floor several times. I would call a foul and the wrong person would rotate to my spot. When the ball went OOB we would have two whistles. When you are thinking of those things, it is hard to call the game right. I had one game with the two college guys. One started calling mens this season and the other calls womans. I had observed his games several times last year and knew what to expect from him. It was a very clean game. Rotations were smooth. Everyone was sharp. The observer could only comment on nitpick things. "Why did you call this?" and "could you have left that alone."
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I here ya.

Quote:

"Why did you call this?" and "could you have left that alone."
Isn't that a good feeling when that is all they say?

Peace
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I here ya.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

"Why did you call this?" and "could you have left that alone."
Isn't that a good feeling when that is all they say?

Peace
Amen. I'll take it.