The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hangs on rim

VB 3 whistle game after our GV game. Time permitting, I try to watch a quarter or two of the next game mainly to observe the crew. In the first qtr a layup is shot and hangs on the front of the rim as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it. The ball rolls off the front of the rim. Official hits whistle and counts the bucket and the game moves on with no challenge.

I went in with the crew at halftime to see if this play came up. It did. The calling official explained that he believed the board slap affected the shot while on the rim. It sounded very nice, but I don't believe he had a rule backing him. Did he?

Last edited by OnePutt; Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:34pm. Reason: misspelled word
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

You can't have basket interference since the backboard is not part of the basket. If there's a call to be made, then it would be a technical foul. Otherwise it's a play on.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePutt View Post
VB 3 whistle game after our GV game. Time permitting, I try to watch a quarter or two of the next game mainly to observe the crew. In the first qtr a layup is shot and hangs on the front of the rim as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it. The ball rolls off the front of the rim. Official hits whistle and counts the bucket and the game moves on with no challenge.

I went in with the crew at halftime to see if this play came up. It did. The calling official explained that he believed the board slap affected the shot while on the rim. It sounded very nice, but I don't believe he had a rule backing him. Did he?
It's a technical foul for slapping the backboard but it's not BI.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:10pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It's a technical foul for slapping the backboard but it's not BI.
Would you reconsider the T in view of this:?
"as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it"
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Would you reconsider the T in view of this:?
"as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it"
As with all these situations, you HTBT to know what you would actually call.

But he said, the ball "hangs on the front of the rim." If the ball is on the front of the rim, then the defender is NOT trying to block the shot. He's showboating...T.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 01:16am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Timing is everything

Oneputt:
Can you clarify the sequencing between the shot, the block attempt and the ball hanging on the rim, as it has a major bearing on getting the proper call?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
As with all these situations, you HTBT to know what you would actually call.

But he said, the ball "hangs on the front of the rim." If the ball is on the front of the rim, then the defender is NOT trying to block the shot. He's showboating...T.
Agree. Sounds like the defender didn't want to commit BI, but didn't want the ball to roll into the hoop, so he hit the backboard. And it worked. And it was T-worthy.

10-3-4b: A player shall not illegally contact the backboard/ring by
intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring
to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard
or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Should Have Called The Mythbusters ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Justacoach, many good shot-blockers wait a split-second after the ball is released before they attempt their swat in order to avoid body contact and to ensure the shot has truly gone up. The shooter got the ball got on the rim quickly and the shot-blocker was too late. Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Justacoach, many good shot-blockers wait a split-second after the ball is released before they attempt their swat in order to avoid body contact and to ensure the shot has truly gone up. The shooter got the ball got on the rim quickly and the shot-blocker was too late. Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.
If you truly have a legit shot block attempt, then it's a play on. Coach, players, and fans won't be happy about it, but that's beside the point. Legit shot block attempt, then a slap on the backboard is nothing...even with the ball on the rim. If it isn't a legit shot block attempt, then its tea and crumpets time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Feb 04, 2011 at 02:51pm.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.
No further clarification needed. Legal play by rule.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

What he said.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
anytime anyone asks you about this scenario...have them read (or in our case re-read) BillyMacs' post above....nothing further needs to be written and/or said.

well done young man!
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Don't Call Me Late For Dinner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
Well done young man!
Thank the Mythbusters (It's a group effort. By the way guys, my computer crashed, and I no longer have the complete list of contributors, and I'm no longer keeping a list. Be sure to hold onto your Mythbusters badges, and secret decoder rings, because that's the only proof you have that your an official Mythbuster, and I don't have the proper documentation to give you new ones. Only new members will get Mythbuster badges, and decoder rings. Sorry).

Also, jeffpea, unless you're older than Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., or Jurassic Referee, I seriously doubt that you can call me young man.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 05, 2011 at 01:31pm.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the ball "hangs front of the rim" when the "shot blocker" slapped the backboard, there was more than just a "split-second" in the timing of the "block."

Make up your mind.