The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball hangs on rim (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61693-ball-hangs-rim.html)

OnePutt Thu Feb 03, 2011 08:22pm

Ball hangs on rim

VB 3 whistle game after our GV game. Time permitting, I try to watch a quarter or two of the next game mainly to observe the crew. In the first qtr a layup is shot and hangs on the front of the rim as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it. The ball rolls off the front of the rim. Official hits whistle and counts the bucket and the game moves on with no challenge.

I went in with the crew at halftime to see if this play came up. It did. The calling official explained that he believed the board slap affected the shot while on the rim. It sounded very nice, but I don't believe he had a rule backing him. Did he?

APG Thu Feb 03, 2011 08:27pm

You can't have basket interference since the backboard is not part of the basket. If there's a call to be made, then it would be a technical foul. Otherwise it's a play on.

BktBallRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePutt (Post 725940)
VB 3 whistle game after our GV game. Time permitting, I try to watch a quarter or two of the next game mainly to observe the crew. In the first qtr a layup is shot and hangs on the front of the rim as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it. The ball rolls off the front of the rim. Official hits whistle and counts the bucket and the game moves on with no challenge.

I went in with the crew at halftime to see if this play came up. It did. The calling official explained that he believed the board slap affected the shot while on the rim. It sounded very nice, but I don't believe he had a rule backing him. Did he?

It's a technical foul for slapping the backboard but it's not BI.

justacoach Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 725966)
It's a technical foul for slapping the backboard but it's not BI.

Would you reconsider the T in view of this:?
"as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it"

BktBallRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 725970)
Would you reconsider the T in view of this:?
"as the defender smacks the crap out of the board while trying to block it"

As with all these situations, you HTBT to know what you would actually call.

But he said, the ball "hangs on the front of the rim." If the ball is on the front of the rim, then the defender is NOT trying to block the shot. He's showboating...T.

justacoach Fri Feb 04, 2011 01:16am

Timing is everything

Oneputt:
Can you clarify the sequencing between the shot, the block attempt and the ball hanging on the rim, as it has a major bearing on getting the proper call?

mbyron Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 725977)
As with all these situations, you HTBT to know what you would actually call.

But he said, the ball "hangs on the front of the rim." If the ball is on the front of the rim, then the defender is NOT trying to block the shot. He's showboating...T.

Agree. Sounds like the defender didn't want to commit BI, but didn't want the ball to roll into the hoop, so he hit the backboard. And it worked. And it was T-worthy.

10-3-4b: A player shall not illegally contact the backboard/ring by
intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring
to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard
or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

BillyMac Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30pm

Should Have Called The Mythbusters ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

OnePutt Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:44pm

Justacoach, many good shot-blockers wait a split-second after the ball is released before they attempt their swat in order to avoid body contact and to ensure the shot has truly gone up. The shooter got the ball got on the rim quickly and the shot-blocker was too late. Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.

APG Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnePutt (Post 726155)
Justacoach, many good shot-blockers wait a split-second after the ball is released before they attempt their swat in order to avoid body contact and to ensure the shot has truly gone up. The shooter got the ball got on the rim quickly and the shot-blocker was too late. Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.

If you truly have a legit shot block attempt, then it's a play on. Coach, players, and fans won't be happy about it, but that's beside the point. Legit shot block attempt, then a slap on the backboard is nothing...even with the ball on the rim. If it isn't a legit shot block attempt, then its tea and crumpets time.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 04, 2011 02:07pm

Quote:

Contact with the board happened as a result of the missed swat. Let me know if you need further clarification.

No further clarification needed. Legal play by rule.

jearef Fri Feb 04, 2011 03:08pm

What he said.

jeffpea Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 726147)
Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

anytime anyone asks you about this scenario...have them read (or in our case re-read) BillyMacs' post above....nothing further needs to be written and/or said.

well done young man!

BillyMac Sat Feb 05, 2011 01:10pm

Just Don't Call Me Late For Dinner ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 726455)
Well done young man!

Thank the Mythbusters (It's a group effort. By the way guys, my computer crashed, and I no longer have the complete list of contributors, and I'm no longer keeping a list. Be sure to hold onto your Mythbusters badges, and secret decoder rings, because that's the only proof you have that your an official Mythbuster, and I don't have the proper documentation to give you new ones. Only new members will get Mythbuster badges, and decoder rings. Sorry).

Also, jeffpea, unless you're older than Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., or Jurassic Referee, I seriously doubt that you can call me young man.

BktBallRef Sat Feb 05, 2011 03:21pm

Quote:

If the ball "hangs front of the rim" when the "shot blocker" slapped the backboard, there was more than just a "split-second" in the timing of the "block."

Make up your mind. :)