The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Using monitor to assess intentional foul - NCAA Men's

Watching Michigan St @ Iowa last night. All star crew with Burr & Hillary (not sure why those two were doing this game???)

Late first half, W50 receives pass on the block and pivots hard with ball over head. On the pivot W50 makes contact with his elbow to the face of G32. W50 continues up with shot and scores. Officials have nothing. G32 goes down and play is stop to attend to injured G32. During dead ball for injury, officials go to the monitor and it is determined that the contact on the pivot is an intentional foul on W50 (elbow contact above shoulders). The score by W50 stands, no points taken off the board. After injury dead ball, two free throws for Green and a throw-in at the POI.

I am looking at 2-13.6 of the 2010 and2011 NCAA rulebook. It only authorizes the use of the monitor to identify a "contract flagrant foul or fight." Did this rule get changed between last season and this season to allow the use of the monitor to call an intentional foul when the original call was nothing?

Also, the last sentence of 2-13.6 states that "any previous activity before the monitor review shall not be cancelled or nullified." That's the rule, but seems odd in this case since the intentional fould happend on the shot but the score still stands.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

This is the new Elbow rule (penalty). Any contact above the shoulders with a "moving" elbow is either intentional or flagrant...not a common foul. This can be reviewed even if a foul wasn't called and penalized.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes 2011 case book allows use of monitor to determine if an intentional foul occured. A.R.37 page 20 & 21
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This is the new Elbow rule (penalty). Any contact above the shoulders with a "moving" elbow is either intentional or flagrant...not a common foul. This can be reviewed even if a foul wasn't called and penalized.
So even in pivoting it is either intentional or flagrant still?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

If it's above the shoulders.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Watching Michigan St @ Iowa last night. All star crew with Burr & Hillary (not sure why those two were doing this game???)
Because they do a lot of games. I saw Hillary/Burr/O'Neill working Purdue/Wisconsin on Tuesday night.

Speaking of Hillary, I know he's had both knees replaced, but he looks just awful trying to get up and down the floor. Burr calls a great game, but he's just about as wobbly running as well. I thought the Big 10 was making a point of trying to bring some newer faces in this season, but I guess not.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

They probly got stuck out there due to storms. I would have expected to see Burr on the UCONN Syracuse game last night.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
So even in pivoting it is either intentional or flagrant still?
Assuming the elbow is moving.

If it's excessive (as defined in the book), then it must be flagrant.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Because they do a lot of games. I saw Hillary/Burr/O'Neill working Purdue/Wisconsin on Tuesday night.

Speaking of Hillary, I know he's had both knees replaced, but he looks just awful trying to get up and down the floor. Burr calls a great game, but he's just about as wobbly running as well. I thought the Big 10 was making a point of trying to bring some newer faces in this season, but I guess not.
Actually the Big 10 and it's coaches but some new requirements on it's men's officials and it actually freezed out some younger talent.