The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Using monitor to assess intentional foul - NCAA Men's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61677-using-monitor-assess-intentional-foul-ncaa-mens.html)

KCRC Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35am

Using monitor to assess intentional foul - NCAA Men's

Watching Michigan St @ Iowa last night. All star crew with Burr & Hillary (not sure why those two were doing this game???)

Late first half, W50 receives pass on the block and pivots hard with ball over head. On the pivot W50 makes contact with his elbow to the face of G32. W50 continues up with shot and scores. Officials have nothing. G32 goes down and play is stop to attend to injured G32. During dead ball for injury, officials go to the monitor and it is determined that the contact on the pivot is an intentional foul on W50 (elbow contact above shoulders). The score by W50 stands, no points taken off the board. After injury dead ball, two free throws for Green and a throw-in at the POI.

I am looking at 2-13.6 of the 2010 and2011 NCAA rulebook. It only authorizes the use of the monitor to identify a "contract flagrant foul or fight." Did this rule get changed between last season and this season to allow the use of the monitor to call an intentional foul when the original call was nothing?

Also, the last sentence of 2-13.6 states that "any previous activity before the monitor review shall not be cancelled or nullified." That's the rule, but seems odd in this case since the intentional fould happend on the shot but the score still stands.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:05am

This is the new Elbow rule (penalty). Any contact above the shoulders with a "moving" elbow is either intentional or flagrant...not a common foul. This can be reviewed even if a foul wasn't called and penalized.

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06am

Yes 2011 case book allows use of monitor to determine if an intentional foul occured. A.R.37 page 20 & 21

CDurham Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 725664)
This is the new Elbow rule (penalty). Any contact above the shoulders with a "moving" elbow is either intentional or flagrant...not a common foul. This can be reviewed even if a foul wasn't called and penalized.

So even in pivoting it is either intentional or flagrant still?

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14am

If it's above the shoulders.

Rich Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRC (Post 725652)
Watching Michigan St @ Iowa last night. All star crew with Burr & Hillary (not sure why those two were doing this game???)

Because they do a lot of games. I saw Hillary/Burr/O'Neill working Purdue/Wisconsin on Tuesday night.

Speaking of Hillary, I know he's had both knees replaced, but he looks just awful trying to get up and down the floor. Burr calls a great game, but he's just about as wobbly running as well. I thought the Big 10 was making a point of trying to bring some newer faces in this season, but I guess not.

wfd21 Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23am

They probly got stuck out there due to storms. I would have expected to see Burr on the UCONN Syracuse game last night.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 725667)
So even in pivoting it is either intentional or flagrant still?

Assuming the elbow is moving. ;)

If it's excessive (as defined in the book), then it must be flagrant.

GoodwillRef Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 725674)
Because they do a lot of games. I saw Hillary/Burr/O'Neill working Purdue/Wisconsin on Tuesday night.

Speaking of Hillary, I know he's had both knees replaced, but he looks just awful trying to get up and down the floor. Burr calls a great game, but he's just about as wobbly running as well. I thought the Big 10 was making a point of trying to bring some newer faces in this season, but I guess not.

Actually the Big 10 and it's coaches but some new requirements on it's men's officials and it actually freezed out some younger talent.