The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Coach tells the official by her bench, opposite where the throw in will take place, that her team is going to foul ASAP to stop the clock. (This was discussed by the coach in the media conference after the game.) Ball is inbounded to B2 near opposite side of court and A1 fouls B1 in front of the bench. ie, the ball was WAY away from the B2 player fouled. Rule 4-26 Art 6 example says that it is intentional if the player fouled is away from the ball and not directly involved in the play. BTW, Team A won the game and as my team was out of the tourney, I was just an interested observer wondering why it was called a personal and not an intentional personal. Any additional information about the rule which would explain this? (BTW, Team A is 2 ranked in the NCAA tourney and this was the semi finals of the conference tournament, which they won too. Great coach and great team - I'm just trying to understand what happened here.)
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

It is the norm NOT to call these fouls at the end of the game merely to stop the clock and put the other team on the line intentional fouls.

Hopefully, the officials, the schools, and the NCAA governing body will make an effort to change this and start calling these fouls just what they are intentional personal fouls.

However, until there is a sea change we will continue to see this tactic employed near the end of games.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

The play in question does not have to be an intentional foul. Different officials have different judgment. There are a lot of plays run to get players the ball and they are at half court. Why is this different? I see players fight threw screens and sometimes grab the player getting the screen to free them. I would not call those players not involved in the play.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
Coach tells the official by her bench, opposite where the throw in will take place, that her team is going to foul ASAP to stop the clock. (This was discussed by the coach in the media conference after the game.) Ball is inbounded to B2 near opposite side of court and A1 fouls B1 in front of the bench. ie, the ball was WAY away from the B2 player fouled. Rule 4-26 Art 6 example says that it is intentional if the player fouled is away from the ball and not directly involved in the play. BTW, Team A won the game and as my team was out of the tourney, I was just an interested observer wondering why it was called a personal and not an intentional personal. Any additional information about the rule which would explain this? (BTW, Team A is 2 ranked in the NCAA tourney and this was the semi finals of the conference tournament, which they won too. Great coach and great team - I'm just trying to understand what happened here.)
The ncaa has the concept of a strategic foul near the end of the game, so there's lots of room for judgement on these, as opposed to what the fed rules would have us do.

OTOH, there's also an emphasis to call a foul on this play (foul away from the ball) if the foul is *not* a legitimate attempt to play the ball or man. It very well could be the official felt the player was making a legitimate attempt, of course it could be he took the easier way out.