The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Snow cancellation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61556-snow-cancellation.html)

JohnDorian37 Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17am

Snow cancellation?

Massive snowstorm hitting the area this afternoon, pretty much every school is canceled (including my college and the school I'm scheduled to work at this afternoon).

Left a message asking for someone to call me to confirm the games were off, but I doubt that will happen. Can I assume that since school is canceled and the roads are/will be treacherous that there will be no games?

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:19am

Best person to call is your assignor.

tref Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:19am

Gotta love the Arbiter in situations like this!

My doubleheader is cancelled tonight & I got the email directly to my phone yesterday afternoon.

Adam Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 724683)
Gotta love the Arbiter in situations like this!

My doubleheader is cancelled tonight & I got the email directly to my phone yesterday afternoon.

+1
I absolutely love modern technology for this reason. Woke up to a text message saying my kids' school is cancelled today.

RobbyinTN Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 724679)
Massive snowstorm hitting the area this afternoon, pretty much every school is canceled (including my college and the school I'm scheduled to work at this afternoon).

Left a message asking for someone to call me to confirm the games were off, but I doubt that will happen. Can I assume that since school is canceled and the roads are/will be treacherous that there will be no games?

Never assume a game is canceled. As someone else said, call your assigner but around here the rule is that if you do not get a cancellation notification via Arbiter or by the assigner, you are to show up. Granted most schools here cancel the games if school is canceled but with the season nearing an end and thus little time for make up games, some still play if conditions allow.

If it is canceled you will be paid (assuming you weren't notified) YMMV

Adam Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 (Post 724679)

Try calling the visiting school to see if the game is cancelled.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 724698)
Try calling the visiting school to see if the game is cancelled.

Yep -- and / or check the schools' web-sites, and athletic schedules.

chartrusepengui Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18pm

A first for me here. I was just called to confirm that the game was still on tonight. This is the only school in my area that does not have a policy that all activities are automatically cancelled when school is closed.

Oh well - good for me! Short drive and dinner waiting when I get home!!:)

grunewar Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 724729)
A first for me here. I was just called to confirm that the game was still on tonight. This is the only school in my area that does not have a policy that all activities are automatically cancelled when school is closed.

Oh well - good for me! Short drive and dinner waiting when I get home!!:)

We had a little rain here....ice didn't materialize. My game was already rescheduled for Saturday.

bainsey Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25pm

Different areas have different policies. Here, it's up to the A.D. to contact the officials of postponements, but sometimes, the A.D.s contact the assignor, who then contacts us. Typically, there's no rule that says you can't call and check for yourself.

By the way, most frequently, these games are postponed, not cancelled. Big difference.

Rich Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 724742)
Different areas have different policies. Here, it's up to the A.D. to contact the officials of postponements, but sometimes, the A.D.s contact the assignor, who then contacts us. Typically, there's no rule that says you can't call and check for yourself.

By the way, most frequently, these games are postponed, not cancelled. Big difference.

For me it may as well be a cancellation. Like always, they rescheduled on a date I'm already working.

JFlores Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47pm

My games just got canceled because of bad weather. Mind you I live in Houston and we are getting an arctic blast, temps are suppose to drop into the 20's.

I originally from NYC, like a co-worker of mine just said, are they playing basketball outside? Unbelievable.

Adam Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFlores (Post 724756)
My games just got canceled because of bad weather. Mind you I live in Houston and we are getting an arctic blast, temps are suppose to drop into the 20's.

I originally from NYC, like a co-worker of mine just said, are they playing basketball outside? Unbelievable.

Are you getting actual precipitation to go with the cold? Or are they canceling simply because it's too cold?

JFlores Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 724757)
Are you getting actual precipitation to go with the cold? Or are they canceling simply because it's too cold?

It stop raining hours ago, just plain cold. They said due to bad weather.

BillyMac Tue Feb 01, 2011 01:32pm

911 ...

We've been encouraged to call the police department. They're probably going to send a officer, for security, to the site, so they should know if the game is on, or off. Pesonally, I've never done this. The police have more importnat calls to take, especially during a snowstorm.

I once traveled twenty miles to a game during a snowstorm. Didn't get a call from my assigner, or the school. Couldn't get in touch with the school, my partner, or my assigner (olden days before cell phones). Took me over an hour to get to the game. The game was cancelled, but nobody contacted the cheerleadng coach, or the police officer, who I met in the parking lot. The officer confirmed the cancellation over his radio.