The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Snow cancellation?

Massive snowstorm hitting the area this afternoon, pretty much every school is canceled (including my college and the school I'm scheduled to work at this afternoon).

Left a message asking for someone to call me to confirm the games were off, but I doubt that will happen. Can I assume that since school is canceled and the roads are/will be treacherous that there will be no games?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:19am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Best person to call is your assignor.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Gotta love the Arbiter in situations like this!

My doubleheader is cancelled tonight & I got the email directly to my phone yesterday afternoon.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Gotta love the Arbiter in situations like this!

My doubleheader is cancelled tonight & I got the email directly to my phone yesterday afternoon.
+1
I absolutely love modern technology for this reason. Woke up to a text message saying my kids' school is cancelled today.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post
Massive snowstorm hitting the area this afternoon, pretty much every school is canceled (including my college and the school I'm scheduled to work at this afternoon).

Left a message asking for someone to call me to confirm the games were off, but I doubt that will happen. Can I assume that since school is canceled and the roads are/will be treacherous that there will be no games?
Never assume a game is canceled. As someone else said, call your assigner but around here the rule is that if you do not get a cancellation notification via Arbiter or by the assigner, you are to show up. Granted most schools here cancel the games if school is canceled but with the season nearing an end and thus little time for make up games, some still play if conditions allow.

If it is canceled you will be paid (assuming you weren't notified) YMMV
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 11:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDorian37 View Post

Try calling the visiting school to see if the game is cancelled.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Try calling the visiting school to see if the game is cancelled.
Yep -- and / or check the schools' web-sites, and athletic schedules.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

A first for me here. I was just called to confirm that the game was still on tonight. This is the only school in my area that does not have a policy that all activities are automatically cancelled when school is closed.

Oh well - good for me! Short drive and dinner waiting when I get home!!
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
A first for me here. I was just called to confirm that the game was still on tonight. This is the only school in my area that does not have a policy that all activities are automatically cancelled when school is closed.

Oh well - good for me! Short drive and dinner waiting when I get home!!
We had a little rain here....ice didn't materialize. My game was already rescheduled for Saturday.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:25pm
Back from the DL

Different areas have different policies. Here, it's up to the A.D. to contact the officials of postponements, but sometimes, the A.D.s contact the assignor, who then contacts us. Typically, there's no rule that says you can't call and check for yourself.

By the way, most frequently, these games are postponed, not cancelled. Big difference.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Different areas have different policies. Here, it's up to the A.D. to contact the officials of postponements, but sometimes, the A.D.s contact the assignor, who then contacts us. Typically, there's no rule that says you can't call and check for yourself.

By the way, most frequently, these games are postponed, not cancelled. Big difference.
For me it may as well be a cancellation. Like always, they rescheduled on a date I'm already working.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

My games just got canceled because of bad weather. Mind you I live in Houston and we are getting an arctic blast, temps are suppose to drop into the 20's.

I originally from NYC, like a co-worker of mine just said, are they playing basketball outside? Unbelievable.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores View Post
My games just got canceled because of bad weather. Mind you I live in Houston and we are getting an arctic blast, temps are suppose to drop into the 20's.

I originally from NYC, like a co-worker of mine just said, are they playing basketball outside? Unbelievable.
Are you getting actual precipitation to go with the cold? Or are they canceling simply because it's too cold?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you getting actual precipitation to go with the cold? Or are they canceling simply because it's too cold?
It stop raining hours ago, just plain cold. They said due to bad weather.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

911 ...

We've been encouraged to call the police department. They're probably going to send a officer, for security, to the site, so they should know if the game is on, or off. Pesonally, I've never done this. The police have more importnat calls to take, especially during a snowstorm.

I once traveled twenty miles to a game during a snowstorm. Didn't get a call from my assigner, or the school. Couldn't get in touch with the school, my partner, or my assigner (olden days before cell phones). Took me over an hour to get to the game. The game was cancelled, but nobody contacted the cheerleadng coach, or the police officer, who I met in the parking lot. The officer confirmed the cancellation over his radio.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 01, 2011 at 02:47pm.