The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Snow cancellation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61556-snow-cancellation.html)

tref Tue Feb 01, 2011 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 724790)
Couldn't get in touch with the school, my partner, or my assigner (olden days before cell phones).

Were these the days when one placed a note in a bottle & sent it off to sea OR when birds carried the letter? :-)

BillyMac Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:03pm

We Also Had The Telegraph ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 724795)
Were these the days when one placed a note in a bottle & sent it off to sea OR when birds carried the letter?

We had these things called land line telephones. Some had rotary dials.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lFH6HUmKfJjAdo

tref Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:09pm

[QUOTE=BillyMac;724802]We had these things called land line telephones. Some had rotary dials.

Oh okay, I saw those on tv once before! lol

Adam Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 724804)
Oh okay, I saw those on tv once before! lol

Back in the days when the TV remote had two legs, two arms, and had to be fed three times a day.

RobbyinTN Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 724806)
Back in the days when the TV remote had two legs, two arms, and had to be fed three times a day.

This is OT but there are times I miss half a program looking for the remote when I could walk over to the TV and turn it but...............

BillyMac Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:38pm

Can't You Get Electrocuted ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 724811)
There are times I miss half a program looking for the remote when I could walk over to the TV and turn it.

What? No way? You can do that? You are allowed to actually touch the monitor? Isn't that dangerous? I just checked my televison's instruction booklet and it doesn't say anything about doing such a thing. It does say that if you're going to touch the monitor to unplug the television. Maybe it's in the Spanish, or French, instruction booklet? I wish I could remember more of my high school French.

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:40pm

I got an email from one of my assignors just a few minutes ago. All games for that conference tonight are cancelled, which means my night just became a lot more open. I don't think it'll be my last assignment cancelled tonight. I'm in suburban Chicago and they're talking almost 2 feet of snow.

grunewar Tue Feb 01, 2011 02:52pm

And now for something completely different

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 724817)
I don't think it'll be my last assignment cancelled tonight. I'm in suburban Chicago and they're talking almost 2 feet of snow.

Similar to you, in the DC area our schools are closed and games cancelled when we get .0002 feet of snow. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 01, 2011 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 724817)
I got an email from one of my assignors just a few minutes ago. All games for that conference tonight are cancelled, which means my night just became a lot more open. I don't think it'll be my last assignment cancelled tonight. I'm in suburban Chicago and they're talking almost 2 feet of snow.

Grab a shovel.

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 01, 2011 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 724821)
Similar to you, in the DC area our schools are closed and games cancelled when we get .0002 feet of snow. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Wish they'd cancel Congress when that happens.

Rich Tue Feb 01, 2011 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 724829)
Grab a shovel.

My neighbor shovels. I don't get it -- they have money and could easily afford a snowblower. What takes them a few backbreaking hours is completely finished by me in about 30 minutes or so.

Just did my driveway and carved out the mailboxes so the mailman doesn't give birth to a canary if he has to stretch his arm more than 2 inches out the car window.

jeschmit Tue Feb 01, 2011 03:17pm

I lost a JV/V girls date last night, a JV Boys (three whistle) game tonight, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose my JC Women's game tomorrow night. What a crappy week for the STL area!

I just hope I get to keep the rest of my games later on this week!

shavano Tue Feb 01, 2011 04:44pm

Lost a GJV/GV combo tonight. Not much snow, just cold. ( Supposed to hit -20 overnight).

tref Tue Feb 01, 2011 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shavano (Post 724876)
Lost a GJV/GV combo tonight.

Thats a good thing, isnt it?

Well, unless you were counting on those to make your minimum requirement for post-season.

shavano Tue Feb 01, 2011 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 724878)
Thats a good thing, isnt it?

Well, unless you were counting on those to make your minimum requirement for post-season.

LOL. Nah, I've got more than the minimum.