Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 06:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sports are about the kids.
If sports are really about the kids in LA, I wonder if the coachs, AD's, principals and the clown who wrote this article would voluntarily and happily go for 17 years without having a pay raise.

Just wondering.....
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 09:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If sports are really about the kids in LA, I wonder if the coachs, AD's, principals and the clown who wrote this article would voluntarily and happily go for 17 years without having a pay raise.

Just wondering.....
Funny I have lost more games to Teacher's strikes and contract disputes than I ever had over a dispute with my money. But it is about the kids. That always cracks me up when someone says that I must do something for the kids as an official that will never see many of these kids again, but the people that see them everyday and know them by first name are exempt from that process.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

When someone uses "It's for the kids" I know that whatever opinion comes out after that is likely to be discarded.

When I see teachers striking or "working to rule" I wonder if it's "about the kids" then, too.

I wonder how many raises the teachers, administrators, and coaches have received in the last 21 years. I'll bet it's more than zero.

But, hey, we're hired help subservient to all those people.

I still think the LA officials should've let those people work their games the rest of this season. I bet the playoffs would be ones to remember.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

I wonder how many raises the teachers, administrators, and coaches have received in the last 21 years. I'll bet it's more than zero.
We actually last had a raise in 07. Apparently the last one before that must have been 21 years ago.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We actually last had a raise in 07. Apparently the last one before that must have been 21 years ago.
Y'all were getting paid even less than you are now?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have worked in conferences that have raised the rates they pay almost every year since 07 and a year or two before that and we have had 3 Person for years.

There is only one conference that I worked where the fees dropped. And it was mostly because some teams merged with each other to form a larger conference and some schools were from the Chicago area and the other schools were outside the Chicago area and there was a difference in what the merging schools were paying in their respective conferences. And the assignor that assigned the schools that were not in the Chicago area and now were joining the conference has told everyone that "I will lose officials because of pay."

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Y'all were getting paid even less than you are now?
yep

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The thing is, if the schools had given raises to the officials when times weren't so lean, it may have bought them some good will for these lean times.

I'm with Rich, "for the kids" is typically just a canard meant to shut down the debate through guilt.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 11:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The thing is, if the schools had given raises to the officials when times weren't so lean, it may have bought them some good will for these lean times.

I'm with Rich, "for the kids" is typically just a canard meant to shut down the debate through guilt.
Public schoolteacher salaries are typically public record. If I were the officials, I would've had these numbers at hand whenever anyone suggested officials should work for the same amount of money or get one raise in 21 years.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yep
Let me ask you this, how do you propose your brethren in Louisiana go about getting higher wages? It's obvious you don't agree with how those in the four chapters went about it. What makes you think that your state association will give you a raise given their history? I could understand not giving a raise with how the economy currently is, but your state association has shown to be content even during times of good economic health.

There's no way I should be able to make more for one JV game than a three man varsity game. Someone there has dropped the ball big time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There's no way I should be able to make more for one JV game than a three man varsity game. Someone there has dropped the ball big time.
No way? Well that is pretty much the case here. The varsity games which are much more likely to be revenue generators make more money than a single lower level game in most cases. Of course many lower level games are not stand alone games and you can work 2 games and make more in a night, but there should be an incentive to work the higher level ball and for guys to get better. One way to do that is in pay.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No way? Well that is pretty much the case here. The varsity games which are much more likely to be revenue generators make more money than a single lower level game in most cases. Of course many lower level games are not stand alone games and you can work 2 games and make more in a night, but there should be an incentive to work the higher level ball and for guys to get better. One way to do that is in pay.

Peace
Before the changes in VT, the $100 varsity fee was split 3 ways. [I think most schools went with $34 apiece]. As a JV/Frosh official, I received $30. There were grumblings, but the VT Principals Assn went to bat for the officials and the 3 for the price of 2 went away. Sounds like the bat is being used differently down there.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying one should be able to earn more working one JV game than working one varsity game? In case there was confusion, I'm saying that one should earn more working a varsity game than a JV game. In the case of Louisiana, I could earn more working one JV game locally than a varsity game in Louisiana.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yep
Are your officials/associations already contracted for the Play Offs? Because, sitting those out would DEF. be a big bargaining chip!
Old Fri Feb 04, 2011, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying one should be able to earn more working one JV game than working one varsity game? In case there was confusion, I'm saying that one should earn more working a varsity game than a JV game. In the case of Louisiana, I could earn more working one JV game locally than a varsity game in Louisiana.
I am sorry, I misread what you said orginally and I did not pay attention to the pay scale.

So we agree. Read too fast.

Peace