The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Keep my 5-sec count honest.

Got into a friendly debate with a partner during halftime. We were discussing most misinterpreted rules at the youth levels. He makes a comment that blew me away.

Said he hates it when coaches are asking for a 5 second closely guarded call, or also 5 seconds holding the ball when the ball handler is in the corner (below free-throw line at end-line). I asked him why that is an issue and he says to me "You don't have a 5 second count if the ball is in the corner." ???????

I asked if ball starts at top of arc and goes to corner if he stops his count and he replies "No but if the ball is passed there I have no count, if they get trapped in the corner there is no 5 second count."

WHAT???? Someone please tell me that (for over 15 years) I have not been incorrectly penalizing players in the corner for closely guarded and holding the ball over 5 seconds.

Last edited by NoFussRef; Sun Jan 30, 2011 at 01:59pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:58pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sounds like one of those 'get in, get done, get out' guys.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

The requirements for a closely guarded count are a defender within six feet of the player in control of the ball in the frontcourt. Your partner is completely wrong in his interpretation of the rule. You should of asked him for a "rules citation" so you could look it up and prove him wrong.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

gotta love youth rec league partners...

shows up 2 mins before tip-off, wearing baggy basketball shorts and shirt untucked, shoots hoops during timeouts/halftime....... yeah that guy.

He was so sure of himself he actually got me to second guess myself... that is on me though. I have been working youth leagues for over 15 years, mainly Quad-A and HS, and done a lot of adult rec ball. Never joined my state's association because every time they approached me I was working swingshift, or attending college classes in the evenings. Have always strived to improve and am now thinking about joining OSAA next season to polish my skills and mechanics.

Last edited by NoFussRef; Fri Feb 04, 2011 at 04:14pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

That Guy sure seems to be making his rounds lately.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That Guy sure seems to be making his rounds lately.
The Anti-Diebler.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fractured Fairy Tales ...

Once upon a time, on basketball courts, far and wide, there were extra lines painted on the floor called the twenty-eight foot hash marks. These separated the midcourt, from the forecourt (No Bris Milah jokes, please). A dribbler, while being closely guarded in the midcourt, could dribble forward, past the hash mark, and get a new five second count in the forecourt.

Was you partner of the older persuasion?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
Got into a friendly debate with a partner during halftime. We were discussing most misinterpreted rules at the youth levels. He makes a comment that blew me away.

Said he hates it when coaches are asking for a 5 second closely guarded call, or also 5 seconds holding the ball when the ball handler is in the corner (below free-throw line at end-line). I asked him why that is an issue and he says to me "You don't have a 5 second count if the ball is in the corner." ???????

I asked if ball starts at top of arc and goes to corner if he stops his count and he replies "No but if the ball is passed there I have no count, if they get trapped in the corner there is no 5 second count."

WHAT???? Someone please tell me that (for over 15 years) I have not been incorrectly penalizing players in the corner for closely guarded and holding the ball over 5 seconds.
Notice you're from Oregon.......your partner's first name isn't Mark by chance?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:23pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Notice you're from Oregon.......your partner's first name isn't Mark by chance?
Perhaps that's why our friend Mark hasn't weighed in on the topic yet
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Old-School no, should've been my 1st clue he was clueless. He's young 20s.

Oregon= Yes. Mark= No.

At least he wasn't wearing a belt with his basketball shorts.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Old-School no, should've been my 1st clue he was clueless. He's young 20s.
I resent that comment!

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Too Scary The Other Way ...

Quote:
Old-School
Thanks for using the hyphen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly I prefer to work with more experienced officials, you can often learn a lot from them if they are the type to care enough to see the less experienced improve.

I also enjoy working with 1st year officials provided they show that genuine enthusiasm to learn. Its the "wanna walk back and forth for a paycheck" kids I despise.

At 14 years old, my 1st game was 2nd Grade boys, I had the opportunity to work with one of the best "Vets" in our league. Guy buy the name of Mike Humphrees. Several years later we worked a Rec HS boys game, major rival, and despite our best efforts to call it tight and keep 'em under control, we stopped the game in the 4th period due to 3-Technicals on one team. Immediately after, a player ran the sideline from his bench to opponents and punched a kid in the face. Gym erupted with fighting and to this day it was the only game I've ever seen adult mothers pulling each others hair.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Once upon a time, on basketball courts, far and wide, there were extra lines painted on the floor called the twenty-eight foot hash marks. These separated the midcourt, from the forecourt (No Bris Milah jokes, please). A dribbler, while being closely guarded in the midcourt, could dribble forward, past the hash mark, and get a new five second count in the forecourt.

Was you partner of the older persuasion?
Thank goodness the court received a circumcision right around 1990.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Priest, A Minister, And A Mohel Walk Into A Bar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Thank goodness the court received a circumcision right around 1990.
What part did you not understand about "No Bris Milah jokes, please"?