The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Have you ever secretly rooted for a team in a game you were umpiring?

I confessed to having done so to a couple of long-time umpires, and they told me they've done the same thing.

We all agreed, correctly or not, that it did not affect our calls.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:57am
In Memoriam

Cool always honest.

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Have you ever secretly rooted for a team in a game you were umpiring?

I confessed to having done so to a couple of long-time umpires, and they told me they've done the same thing.

We all agreed, correctly or not, that it did not affect our calls.
Yes, but mostly for the defense, ...any defense.
  • ...For the home team, one run up top of 7.
  • ...For the visitors, one run up bottom of 7.
  • ...For the either team, winning by mercy in last legal inning.

An exception:
  • ...For the home team, tie game, bottom of (hopefully)last.
    mick
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 11:20am
    Official Forum Member

Did so in a 12U tourney I did yesterday:

Team up 14 runs in bottom of 3rd, runner on first, one out. I was hoping for a 15 run rule (would have been in 40 minutes too). Blast that double play!

Here's what goes through my mind in the bottom of the last with home team behind: If the visitors are up by 4, the home can score 3 or 5, doesn't matter. If they are up 1, then it's score 0 or 2. Whatever to takes them to score so we don't go "overtime." I don't care who loses, or wins.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 12:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
    Hmm last time I conciously remember cheering for a team it was the bottom of the 11th inning. End of September and I was wondering if the rain would change to snow.
    I was fervently hoping for a run. Ok Praying would be a closer word. 5-0 for the home team after 1 and they gave up 5 to have the tie in the top of 7.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 12:56pm
    Official Forum Member

I had a coach tell their team that "If you lose to this team you will be the laughing stock of the *** conference" They were down by one at the time. This was loud enough for the other team and the other teams parents to hear. I have to admit I wanted it to happen, but it didn't. I really don't have the time do figure out who the call is going to effect I just make the calls. If I did otherwise I would need to get out of officiating.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 03:11pm
    Official Forum Member

I always hope the team which exhibits the best sportsmanship from players, coaches, and fans take the victory. I may express this to my partner, but no one else.

Called a tourney (9-10) earlier this year where a team came up from loser's bracket, forced an "if" game, and won championship game in extra innings. They played 7 games back to back ending at 12:30 a.m.! I didn't expect them to win, they were definitely underdogs, but all that came from girls, coaches and parents was positive. They questioned a couple of calls throughout the day, but never became disrespectful.

I think most of us prefer one team over another for various reasons, but do not let it affect our judgement, or calls.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 04:55pm
    Official Forum Member

Yeah, we had an adult team here made up primarily of handicapped players. In my heart I always hope that they make it past the 5th. In the true spirit of non-competative slow pitch they're in it for the excuse to get out of the house.

Sadly I actually had to eject an opponant of theirs last year who just couldn't let go that I called him out of the box (he really was). I tossed him AFTER the game when he just couldn't understand to go away and chose to use the magic word in describing his displeasure with me (he used it in the form of an adjective). He wound up getting a 4 week suspension because of his choice of vocabulary while explaining to the park district rep as to why I can't eject him after the game is over. Took us a long time to fill out that report. His team didn't seem too disappointed that he wasn't there for the next month.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 05:48pm
    Official Forum Member

Yes, had an ump who was working solo no show for one of my daughters games and I was drafted by both coaches to work the game so it wasnt forfeited.

Called daughter out for not tagging up when they threw her out when I wanted to yell "go back go back" when I saw it coming .. Game went well and both coaches complimented me for calling a fair game despite the fact my dd was on one of the teams. I called it fair but was rooting for my daughters team, of course.
    Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:21pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by wadeintothem
    Yes, had an ump who was working solo no show for one of my daughters games and I was drafted by both coaches to work the game so it wasnt forfeited.

Called daughter out for not tagging up when they threw her out when I wanted to yell "go back go back" when I saw it coming .. Game went well and both coaches complimented me for calling a fair game despite the fact my dd was on one of the teams. I called it fair but was rooting for my daughters team, of course.
    Absolutely! I always root for the team with an 7/11 run lead (FP/SP) to score one more run in the bottom of the 5th inning. I always root for the team from the winner's bracket to take the championship game. And I always root for ANYONE to beat the *******s on the field.

HOWEVER, it does not affect my game. As I have stated before, my brain will not allow me to intentionally make the incorrect call.

Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:54am
    Official Forum Member

I do find myself occasionally hoping a particular kid gets a hit (usually the little ones - to me there's nothing more exciting than the look on a kids face when she NEVER gets a hit and finally gets one), and every once in a while rooting for a team when one team's been civil and the other hasn't. But as most are stating - it never alters a call.

I think my game yesterday proves that. Team A (coach has been a jerk all tourney) on offense in the bottom of the 7th. Team B (coach has been good all tourney, and kids are playing over their heads - the underdog factor) on defense. Team B winning by 1, 2 outs. Girls goes home from 2nd on a single, and on a bang-banger at the plate, she's safe - and we end up going to extra innings.

Had three different people tell me after the game something like, "You know, you could have just called her out and shortened that game by half an hour."