The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball Positioning

BV I'm getting ready to toss to start the game. I blow my whisltle and step into the circle and before I toss it up partner blows whistle and runs over and tells a player on the outside of the big circle that he can't have his foot behind an opponents foot during the jump. Basically, a home player was just outside the circle and a visiting player was beside him waiting for the tip off, but the visiting player had his leg behind the home players leg. If the home player tried to go back he probably would have tripped over the visitors foot. The visiting player was 6'6", and his legs weren't spread overly wide with his stance. Can anyone direct me to where I can find information about proper jump positioning? This is the first time I've ever heard of this.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This could be considered a violation of 6-3-5b "take a position in any occupied space."
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stand By Your Man, Not Behind Him ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Partner blows whistle and runs over and tells a player on the outside of the big circle that he can't have his foot behind an opponents foot during the jump. Basically, a home player was just outside the circle and a visiting player was beside him waiting for the tip off, but the visiting player had his leg behind the home players leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This could be considered a violation of 6-3-5b "take a position in any occupied space."
Not a violation until the ball becomes live on the toss. Good preventative officiating from your partner, but I don't know if I would have sounded my whistle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There are 3 foot 'lane spaces' around the circle. They extend back 3 feet. I think we relax often on a jump and forget about stuff like that. No different than C or T sounding a whistle prior to L bouncing the ball to a free thrower when an opponent wants to grab the last lane space.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
There are 3 foot 'lane spaces' around the circle. They extend back 3 feet. I think we relax often on a jump and forget about stuff like that. No different than C or T sounding a whistle prior to L bouncing the ball to a free thrower when an opponent wants to grab the last lane space.
I was thinking this was the case, but can't find it.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Reason To Just Give It To The Visitors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I think we relax often on a jump and forget about stuff like that.
Agree, now we do. Back in the olden days, before those new fangled electric light bulb alternating possession arrows, when we were tossing for jump balls dozens of times each game, at three different jump ball circles, we knew the rules like the backs of our hands. Yep, this was back when girls middle school games took almost three hours. And we used to walk, in the snow, to all of our games, uphill, both ways.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Red is the new blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree, now we do. Back in the olden days, before those new fangled electric light bulb alternating possession arrows, when we were tossing for jump balls dozens of times each game, at three different jump ball circles, we knew the rules like the backs of our hands. Yep, this was back when girls middle school games took almost three hours. And we used to walk, in the snow, to all of our games, uphill, both ways.
Color me skeptical.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jumping Jacks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Color me skeptical.
We had to know the jump ball rules that well. Jump balls to start every period. Jump balls for every held ball. Jump balls for two opponents touching ball going out of bounds. Jump balls for when officials don't know who caused it to go out of bounds. Jump balls for lodged balls. I think that we even had jump balls for closely guarded? And we had a wide variety of players jumping, not two big guys tapping to a bunch of littler guys like we have today. In three different jump ball circles. Coaches actually had plays for different jump ball situations, expect to win tap, expect to lose tap, near their basket, near opponent's basket, etc. I only coached middle school and I had two, or three, jump ball plays that we actually practiced.

Don't believe me? Just ask Jurassic Referee, and Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Of course Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. had jump balls every time he took the ball out of the peach basket. As an official, I don't go back that far.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree, now we do. Back in the olden days, before those new fangled electric light bulb alternating possession arrows, when we were tossing for jump balls dozens of times each game, at three different jump ball circles, we knew the rules like the backs of our hands. Yep, this was back when girls middle school games took almost three hours. And we used to walk, in the snow, to all of our games, uphill, both ways in the dark.
Also, when no 3 point line existed, a player could be behind players in the lane, as long as he stood at least 3 feet behind the other player. And 'lane spaces' were at 3 ft intervals even around the back of the circle behind the FT shooter, although those were unmarked ones.