The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Block shot attempt, slap back-board?

I know we have talked about this before, but.... had 2 situations in the game the other night where everyone in the place goes nuts, fans, coaches, assignor after the game, pretty much everyone and I got no calls in both situations.
First half, seeded district game, White goes under basket and up for a shot, Blue goes to block shot and misses by a finger nail the ball as it's going up not on back-board yet, but slaps the heck out of the backboard during this block shot attempt. His hand hits and it cracks like a fire cracker loudly, it moves the backboard a little, the ball comes off of course and everyone is going nuts. You can't have a goaltend, you can't have basket interference, the only thing you could have was a T for slapping if intentional, but in my opinion it was a block shot attempt...so I got nothing!

Second half, same thing happens except it's the opposite teams this time, so we got no call again, and the other half of everyone in the place, goes nuts for the same reason..

After game, assignor comes in and says we missed two T's tonight and said we needed to read up on the rule..... AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

I know the block shot attempt moved the backboard a little and it probably did cause the ball to come off, but is there a rule that says I can count a basket for some reason other than what I've listed?? I don't think it was intentional, they were just trying to hit the ball hard off the board and missed the ball, so I got nothing and partners had nothing.....
Right, Wrong, anything to add?????????
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I disagree with your assignor. If they are making an attempt to block the shot, ignore the contact with the backboard. If it happened just as you say it did, no call is correct to me.

A rules citing would be nice, but my books are in my bag at home today. I have time for a short nap after work before I leave for my game tonight, which is nice.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
I know we have talked about this before, but.... had 2 situations in the game the other night where everyone in the place goes nuts, fans, coaches, assignor after the game, pretty much everyone and I got no calls in both situations.
First half, seeded district game, White goes under basket and up for a shot, Blue goes to block shot and misses by a finger nail the ball as it's going up not on back-board yet, but slaps the heck out of the backboard during this block shot attempt. His hand hits and it cracks like a fire cracker loudly, it moves the backboard a little, the ball comes off of course and everyone is going nuts. You can't have a goaltend, you can't have basket interference, the only thing you could have was a T for slapping if intentional, but in my opinion it was a block shot attempt...so I got nothing!

Second half, same thing happens except it's the opposite teams this time, so we got no call again, and the other half of everyone in the place, goes nuts for the same reason..

After game, assignor comes in and says we missed two T's tonight and said we needed to read up on the rule..... AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

I know the block shot attempt moved the backboard a little and it probably did cause the ball to come off, but is there a rule that says I can count a basket for some reason other than what I've listed?? I don't think it was intentional, they were just trying to hit the ball hard off the board and missed the ball, so I got nothing and partners had nothing.....
Right, Wrong, anything to add?????????
I would have done exactly what you did. I think its also cool that you were consistent with both teams! 10-3-4b

Last edited by Loudwhistle; Fri Jan 28, 2011 at 11:37am.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a HTBT situation. If in you and your partners' judgement it was a legitimate attempt to block the ball and not a deliberate act on the part of the player, you made the right no call in both cases.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Yeah that would of been bad, to call it for the visitors the 2nd half
We talked about it at halftime and all thought we got it right.
I wish they would give us a rule, where if we think the ball had a chance to go in, and the slap moves the backboard causing the ball to bounce off, we should just be able to count the basket, but they would have to add or change a current rule for that!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

If it happened as you say it did, I would respectfully send the rule & a caseplay to my assignor via email.

Sharing your rules knowledge might get you moved on in the post-season as opposed to losing the assignors vote because of his rules knowledge... or should I say lack there of!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If it happened as you say it did, I would respectfully send the rule & a caseplay to my assignor via email.

Sharing your rules knowledge might get you moved on in the post-season as opposed to losing the assignors vote because of his rules knowledge... or should I say lack there of!
I would add that if you feel it appropriate to address this with your assignor, approach it from a "desire to learn" perspective. Tell him after the game you did, indeed, read up on it and cite the rules and any relevant case plays.

You could then ask if he believed the players were slapping the backboard intentionally and seek guidance on how to judge this vs. a player hitting the backboard while attempting to block the shot.

How you approach this is important, and is also dependent on your relationship with the assignor. Good luck.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

This sound much more like a judgment conversation then a rules conversation. The rule is clear and the judgment might not be so much.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:10pm
We don't rent pigs

If you can imagine it was a legitimate block attempt, no call.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you can imagine it was a legitimate block attempt, no call.
This is my view as well, and my main assignor's view (we happened to have this in a game the other night with no issues), but if your assignor views this significantly differently, it wouldn't hurt to have that discussion.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I would add that if you feel it appropriate to address this with your assignor, approach it from a "desire to learn"perspective. Tell him after the game you did, indeed, read up on it and cite the rules and any relevant case plays.You could then ask if he believed the players were slapping the backboard intentionally and seek guidance on how to judge this vs. a player hitting the backboard while attempting to block the shot.

How you approach this is important, and is also dependent on your relationship with the assignor. Good luck.
I liked it all except the red I like my bosses to KNOW that I KNOW the rules when I'm working their contests. I would simply provide the location where he could find the rule... because I already "know it." Not that I would come off in that manner
Keeper of the HAMMER

Contact your assigner (and rules interpreter if applicable), quote the case play (10.3.4) and ask if you're missing something. Your assigner gave you an "in" by telling you to look up the rule. Now you can tell him you did so and ask for his input.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would add that if you feel it appropriate to address this with your assignor, approach it from a "desire to learn" perspective. Tell him after the game you did, indeed, read up on it and cite the rules and any relevant case plays.

You could then ask if he believed the players were slapping the backboard intentionally and seek guidance on how to judge this vs. a player hitting the backboard while attempting to block the shot.

+1 Diplomacy, diplomacy. I love the desire to learn line, cool strategy!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
This is my view as well, and my main assignor's view (we happened to have this in a game the other night with no issues), but if your assignor views this significantly differently, it wouldn't hurt to have that discussion.

One unfortunate thing is this is one of the many rules that every fan thinks he knows. Had about 5 of these in one game. The same helpful fan said each time
"He can't do that, ref. That should be a tech."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The same helpful fan
He's at your games too? He really gets around. I'm impressed.