The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 265
Your thoughts - When to say NO

Here is the situations that have occurred locally. I am the interpreter for my association. I get phone calls regularly from refs and coaches. This is the latest (2 seperate cases)

Case ONE: School has decided to schedule refs instead of using assignor on NON-League games: The AD has a wife that is a ref. He has scheduled her with 2 other refs (one is a coach at the district, 5th grade; the other's wife is a principal in the district) The games that they have gotten are Girl's Varsity games, I have received emails and calls from coaches and refs about this. I too think it is a bad practice, how should I handle this?

Case 2: A ref in my association was scheduled to a girls varsity game from our assignor. IT was a game that featured 2 of the best teams in that class. The away team is the district he lives in, kids go to the school, play sports for, and he and his wife are actively involved in the district. Coach calls and was furios about him being on that game and also about the job he did. I have not seen the game film yet. Any suggestions> Side note the official that did this was my best man at my wedding and I have had previous discussions about this with him in previous years.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,081
Case #1 - Not a good situation but seems to be out of your hands.

Case #2 - Should have not been assigned the game or should have given the game back.
__________________
Every game is a big game
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:09am
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,352
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think either of these situations falls under your duties as interpreter. These are issues that need to be addressed by your association's executive committee for Case 1 or ethics committee (if you have one) for Case 2.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:13am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 27,936
These are assignor issues, these things would not happen in my area the way they are. Just shows how different things are across the country.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 265
Board

I am part of the the executive board, I ref with both of these officials on Monday. Do I bring it up as a suggestion because I have good relationships with these officials?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I am part of the the executive board, I ref with both of these officials on Monday. Do I bring it up as a suggestion because I have good relationships with these officials?
Sure, but bring it up personally, not as Executive Board member, and make it about you ("I would never take a game with a conflict of interest because even if nothing went wrong in that game it would affect other's perceptions of me and could harm my future career.")

Then, make "conflicts of interest" a training topic and / or add it to your by-laws, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think either of these situations falls under your duties as interpreter. These are issues that need to be addressed by your association's executive committee for Case 1 or ethics committee (if you have one) for Case 2.
Agree with Scrapper. Does your association have a conflict of interest policy? If not, sounds like maybe they need one.....
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Here is the situations that have occurred locally. I am the interpreter for my association. I get phone calls regularly from refs and coaches. This is the latest (2 seperate cases)

Case ONE: School has decided to schedule refs instead of using assignor on NON-League games: The AD has a wife that is a ref. He has scheduled her with 2 other refs (one is a coach at the district, 5th grade; the other's wife is a principal in the district) The games that they have gotten are Girl's Varsity games, I have received emails and calls from coaches and refs about this. I too think it is a bad practice, how should I handle this?
If a school is hiring directly, there isn't much you can do aside from encouraging officials to not work games where they have such a conflict.

One one of the 3 was OK in my opinion...the one who's wife was a principle at a different school in the district. That is far enough away to be no conflict.

What to do...remember YOUR members about what your organization considers to be a conflict of interest. Still, I'm not sure you have jurisdiction of games they've taken from other sources aside from the image it may cast upon your organization...but that may be enough to have a policy that you could enforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Case 2: A ref in my association was scheduled to a girls varsity game from our assignor. IT was a game that featured 2 of the best teams in that class. The away team is the district he lives in, kids go to the school, play sports for, and he and his wife are actively involved in the district. Coach calls and was furios about him being on that game and also about the job he did. I have not seen the game film yet. Any suggestions> Side note the official that did this was my best man at my wedding and I have had previous discussions about this with him in previous years.
Confused. Do his kids go to the specific school or another school in the district? Same Q about the wife...involved with that specific school or another school in the district?

If it is another school in the same district, I don't think there is any issue with it, in general. If it is the same school...big problem....shouldn't happen unless it is a very rural area where you only have so many officials available.

I work games for EVERY school in the same district as where my kids go to school and play sports (golf) but never for my kid's school. I have never considered that to be an issue. My assignor knows where my kid goes to school and has no issue assigning me to the rest.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 173
showing my newness again, but what is an interpreter?

/thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
showing my newness again, but what is an interpreter?

/thanks.
If you are in an association it's the guy/gal you should talk to when you have questions about rules, case plays, or mechanics. It's great to come here but sometimes there may be a little tweak in what is done locally.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 265
Stir: I am the rules Interpreter for my chapter: In Pennsylvania we have a state interpreter, district interpreters and chapter interpreters. I am responsible for conducting the rule and mechanic meetings that we have. We have 16 meetings throughout the year, All officials must attend 6 of them. We also have another one that I conduct that is mandated for all refs and all head varsity coaches. IF a ref misses they cannot ref the following year, if a coach misses, the school is fined 200 dollars.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
showing my newness again, but what is an interpreter?
Someone who can translate the rules into baby talk so that coaches can understand them.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any thoughts??? brandan89 Basketball 26 Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53am
Your thoughts please. Reffing Hoosier Basketball 81 Wed Mar 12, 2008 06:04pm
What are your thoughts..... drh898 Softball 23 Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:10pm
Thoughts? newladyref Volleyball 10 Sat Apr 08, 2006 08:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1