The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

over and back???

Ball is being inbounded underneath in the frontcourt. Long/high pass gets tipped in the frontcourt by the offensive team and then recovered by the same person in the backcourt.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:12am
We don't rent pigs

No team control in frontcourt. No violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Nope
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Congratulations! You are the 1000th person to post this question on the forum!!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
congratulations! You are the 1000th person to post this question on the forum!!! :d
+1
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Congratulations! You are the 1000th person to post this question on the forum!!!
So? What's that's suppose to mean?

Oh wait...I see your big smiley face. I guess you are laughing at the question. My bad...I should have known.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

And just for the record, there is no such thing as "over and back" - the correct term is back court violation...
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyegb View Post
Ball is being inbounded underneath in the frontcourt. Long/high pass gets tipped in the frontcourt by the offensive team and then recovered by the same person in the backcourt.
I believe this play is easily found somewhere in the case book.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Looks Like Another Job For The ...

Mythbusters.

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.
BillyMac, while you are on the nose about there not being team control during a throw-in, I thought we should be incredibly nit-picky for the newbies. Your sentence above might be construed as meaning that team control is defined as occurring whenever a player is holding or dribbling the ball. Of course, what you mean is that during a time of no team control (such as a throw-in), team control is established when a player establishes player control, which is defined as a player holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

Again, just being nit-picky, probably because those damn nits have been running around my office all day!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stoopid Tree Huggers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just being nit-picky, probably because those damn nits have been running around my office all day!
I blame it on the banning of DDT.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
So? What's that's suppose to mean?

Oh wait...I see your big smiley face. I guess you are laughing at the question. My bad...I should have known.
No, I wasn't laughing at the question. I was joking about it being the most commonly asked play situation on the forum. That's all. No need to be an a$$.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

How about an inbound in the frontcourt (I know it doesn't matter but painting the picture) the ball gets batted before any team control was established. The ball is rolling on the floot towards the division line when A1 dives gains control in the front court but the momentum of his dive causes him to roll into the back court. No travel violation since his momentum caused the roll, but what about the back court violation. Does momentum prevent this as well?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 01:50am
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
How about an inbound in the frontcourt (I know it doesn't matter but painting the picture) the ball gets batted before any team control was established. The ball is rolling on the floot towards the division line when A1 dives gains control in the front court but the momentum of his dive causes him to roll into the back court. No travel violation since his momentum caused the roll, but what about the back court violation. Does momentum prevent this as well?
If the player "rolls over" you get to display your judgment about whether they have traveled. Or, if you judge the player to have player control in the front court, and they slide and come in contact with the back court, then they have violated.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 06:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
No, his momentum didn't prevent the player from going into the backcourt; it caused the player to go into his backcourt. That's why it's a backcout violation.

This isn't the exception where the player gaining control in the air on a throw-in is allowed a normal landing into the backcourt.