The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Player A1 has the ball in the backcourt. Player A1 throws a pass to A2 who has was standing in the front court, but when the pass was made jumped Caught the ball in the air and landed in the backcourt.

Is this over and back? I say no, because Team A never established team control in the front court. There are those in my association that say because A2 was last touching in the frontcourt Team A established team control then, but the ball and player were never in the front court to establish control there
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:40pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by myredst1100
Player A1 has the ball in the backcourt. Player A1 throws a pass to A2 who has was standing in the front court, but when the pass was made jumped Caught the ball in the air and landed in the backcourt.

Is this over and back? I say no, because Team A never established team control in the front court. There are those in my association that say because A2 was last touching in the frontcourt Team A established team control then, but the ball and player were never in the front court to establish control there

myredst1100,
Welcome to the Forum.
It would be good for you to listen more closely to "those in (your) association that say because A2 was last touching in the frontcourt Team A established team control".
mick
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

I always wanted to do this. . .

Rule 4, Section 35, Art. 3 states the location of an airborne player with reference to [frontcourt/backcourt] is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher. Over and back.

[Edited by mplagrow on Dec 18th, 2003 at 08:48 PM]
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by myredst1100

Is this over and back? I say no, because Team A never established team control in the front court.
Sure he did. A1 established team control. A2 is in the FC until he lands in the BC. Therefore, he was in the FC when he caught the ball.

BTW, it's not over and back. It's a backcourt violation.

Welcome aboard!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Anybody got the link for the backcourt quiz for myred?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

So, what would be the sign? Same as over and back?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red
There's no sign for "over and back."

You would, however, give the backcourt violation sign.

Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by red
There's no sign for "over and back."

You would, however, give the backcourt violation sign.

Au contraire!
The signal is there! Over...back...point.
It's the printed words that are missing.
mick
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Better check NFHS basket ball rule book signal chart. Sure looks like the signal is called the over and back signal. Granted that signal is used for a backcourt violation but seems the NF is making the terms synonomus.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I may be way out of range here, but I kind of figured that the winky smiley from BktBallRef was meant to mean he was giving a sarcastic comment. But I could be wrong. I'm an official, after all.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but team A does not have to establish team control in the front court to have a back court violation. You need 4 ingredients for a back court violation:

Team A has control.
The ball attains front court status.
Team A is the last to touch (before the ball attains back court status).
Team A is the first to touch (after the ball attains back court status).

Team A has control, the ball attains front court status when A2 catches it and attains back court status when A2 lands in the back court. A2 is the last to touch, A2 is the first to touch, so TWEET!

Another situation: A1, standing in the back court, throws a bounce pass to A2. The ball bounces in the front court. A2, who is also standing in the back court, catches the ball. TWEET! This is the classic example of a back court violation where team A never has control in the front court.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 06:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think you're wrong, Lotto. In your final situation, Team A has control in the front court. The ball is in their control, the ball is in the front court. Therefore, Team A has control in the front court. There may not have been player control in the frontcourt, but that's not necessary for a back court violation.

Adam
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but team A does not have to establish team control in the front court to have a back court violation.
It really wasn't necessary to point it out. Even though TC in the FC is not necessary, their was TC in the FC in this play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I think you're wrong, Lotto. In your final situation, Team A has control in the front court. The ball is in their control, the ball is in the front court. Therefore, Team A has control in the front court. There may not have been player control in the frontcourt, but that's not necessary for a back court violation.
I suggest you read the play again, Adam.