The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:50pm
Ok is the new good

Bump and Run

Looking for and easy explaination of "Bump and Run"...

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Thanks!
Basketball Officiating Mechanics ... - Google Books

This not only explains it...but, has illustrations.

Page 55
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 11:16pm.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Thanks!
Used when the team A violates in their FC -- so B will inbound in their BC "going long".

Old L/New T moves across the court to the inbound spot and BUMPS the Old T/New L who now RUNS down court.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

No "long" changes - with one official running the entire length of the court. You bump your partner and to avoid the long change.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
No "long" changes, with one official running the entire length of the court. You bump your partner and to avoid the long change.
There are exceptions. Trail has backcourt call, which obviously occurs in the backcourt, on his side of the basket line. That's his line, and the violation is near his line, so he will administer the throwin and become the new trail. The old lead will run the length of the court and become the new lead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There are exceptions. Trail has backcourt call, which obviously occurs in the backcourt, on his side of the basket line. That's his line, and the violation is near his line, so he will administer the throwin and become the new trail. The old lead will run the length of the court and become the new lead.
Is that an exception in Connecticut? This sounds like a classic bump and run situation. And IMO, it looks better than having the old lead run the length of the court.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead? Wow, Rome sure is a weird place.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead? Wow, Rome sure is a weird place.
Only in A's backcourt.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Only in "Rec" ball, and you're working with a new guy who doesn't know any better.

In Federation 2 or 3 person, and NCAA, it's a classic "bump 'n run" situation. As Trail official calling the violation, you should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 01:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Classic bump-and-run in my world.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I think you're all misreading Billy's post.

The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.
That's still a classic bump-and-run in my world.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

By The Book ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
This sounds like a classic bump and run situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Only in A's backcourt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
In Federation 2 person it's a classic "bump 'n run" situation. As Trail official calling the violation, you should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Quote:
I think you're all misreading Billy's post. The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That's still a classic bump-and-run in my world.
Unless the mechanic of administering on your own line has changed over the years, I'm talking about a "by the book" mechanic. Over the years I have found this mechanic to be easily confused by both rookies, and veterans, thus I think Butterfly182310's comment is the most important in the thread: You should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.

As long as you make eye contact with your partner, and make the mechanic look smooth, nobody will notice whether you do it by the book, or not. We don't want both to run down to the endline to become the new lead, with nobody to administer, and we don't want both hanging around as the new trail fighting over one basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 29, 2011 at 07:37am.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:

I don't recall a coast to coast switch on a violation ever having been proper mechanics.

Federation 2 person... It doesn't matter if it's front court or back court. It doesn't matter which sideline the throw-in is coming from. Old trail becomes new lead. Old lead becomes new trail. Forcing old lead to become new lead just delays the resumption of play while he gets into position. Seems to make more sense for both officials to reposition simultaneously by going half the length of the court rather then waiting for one official to travel the entire length of the court.

The only time I can see going from lead to lead is if play has drawn both officials to be nearly opposite each other. Then the trail official might give his/her partner a nod, sending them to the opposite endline, rather than coming across the court. Still wouldn't be "proper" mechanic though.

Now, if you're working with someone who doesn't move real well, and you want to help him out, go ahead and run the length. You'll have a greatfull partner. Just realize that if you get into that habit, you could look like a Chinese Fire Drill when you work with someone else.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

From An Old Veteran's Viewpoint ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
I don't recall a coast to coast switch on a violation ever having been proper mechanics.
As I previously posted, unless the mechanic has changed over the years, and that is certainly possible, since our local board has switched from NFHS, to IAABO mechanics, over the past few years, the "by the book" mechanic used to be to always administer your own line, that is to say, your new own line.

Of course, IAABO has mucked up the definition of "your own line", which is a separate problem for a separate thread.