The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bump and Run (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61312-bump-run.html)

The_Rookie Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50pm

Bump and Run

Looking for and easy explaination of "Bump and Run"...

Thanks!

RookieDude Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 722524)

Thanks!

Basketball Officiating Mechanics ... - Google Books

This not only explains it...but, has illustrations.

Page 55

bob jenkins Fri Jan 28, 2011 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 722524)

Thanks!

Used when the team A violates in their FC -- so B will inbound in their BC "going long".

Old L/New T moves across the court to the inbound spot and BUMPS the Old T/New L who now RUNS down court.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:26am

No "long" changes - with one official running the entire length of the court. You bump your partner and to avoid the long change.

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2011 06:12pm

When In Rome ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 722633)
No "long" changes, with one official running the entire length of the court. You bump your partner and to avoid the long change.

There are exceptions. Trail has backcourt call, which obviously occurs in the backcourt, on his side of the basket line. That's his line, and the violation is near his line, so he will administer the throwin and become the new trail. The old lead will run the length of the court and become the new lead.

APG Fri Jan 28, 2011 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 722936)
There are exceptions. Trail has backcourt call, which obviously occurs in the backcourt, on his side of the basket line. That's his line, and the violation is near his line, so he will administer the throwin and become the new trail. The old lead will run the length of the court and become the new lead.

Is that an exception in Connecticut? This sounds like a classic bump and run situation. And IMO, it looks better than having the old lead run the length of the court.

Adam Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:36pm

Quote:

So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead? Wow, Rome sure is a weird place.

sseltser Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 723000)
So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead? Wow, Rome sure is a weird place.

Only in A's backcourt.

Butterfly182310 Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:11pm

Quote:

Only in "Rec" ball, and you're working with a new guy who doesn't know any better.

In Federation 2 or 3 person, and NCAA, it's a classic "bump 'n run" situation. As Trail official calling the violation, you should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.

Rich Sat Jan 29, 2011 01:25am

Quote:

Classic bump-and-run in my world.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 29, 2011 05:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 723050)

I think you're all misreading Billy's post.

The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.

APG Sat Jan 29, 2011 05:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 723093)

The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.

That's still a classic bump-and-run in my world.

BillyMac Sat Jan 29, 2011 07:29am

By The Book ...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 722973)
This sounds like a classic bump and run situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 723000)
So, when the trail calls a travel on his side of the court, or OOB, or illegal dribble, you let the old lead run down and become the new lead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser (Post 723003)
Only in A's backcourt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 (Post 723006)
In Federation 2 person it's a classic "bump 'n run" situation. As Trail official calling the violation, you should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 723050)

Quote:

I think you're all misreading Billy's post. The play is a violation IN the backcourt on the trail's sideline...and it was a violation on the offensive team (backcourt violation...but could have easily been a travel or any other violation). The trail will administer that throwin, on the sideline, with the old lead running coast to coast. It is only offensive violations on the trail's side in the frontcourt that causes a bump-n-run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 723096)
That's still a classic bump-and-run in my world.

Unless the mechanic of administering on your own line has changed over the years, I'm talking about a "by the book" mechanic. Over the years I have found this mechanic to be easily confused by both rookies, and veterans, thus I think Butterfly182310's comment is the most important in the thread: You should be looking for the old lead official coming toward you, toss the ball in his/her direction, and immediately head for the endline to become the new lead official.

As long as you make eye contact with your partner, and make the mechanic look smooth, nobody will notice whether you do it by the book, or not. We don't want both to run down to the endline to become the new lead, with nobody to administer, and we don't want both hanging around as the new trail fighting over one basketball.

Butterfly182310 Sat Jan 29, 2011 08:13am

Quote:

I don't recall a coast to coast switch on a violation ever having been proper mechanics.

Federation 2 person... It doesn't matter if it's front court or back court. It doesn't matter which sideline the throw-in is coming from. Old trail becomes new lead. Old lead becomes new trail. Forcing old lead to become new lead just delays the resumption of play while he gets into position. Seems to make more sense for both officials to reposition simultaneously by going half the length of the court rather then waiting for one official to travel the entire length of the court.

The only time I can see going from lead to lead is if play has drawn both officials to be nearly opposite each other. Then the trail official might give his/her partner a nod, sending them to the opposite endline, rather than coming across the court. Still wouldn't be "proper" mechanic though.

Now, if you're working with someone who doesn't move real well, and you want to help him out, go ahead and run the length. You'll have a greatfull partner. Just realize that if you get into that habit, you could look like a Chinese Fire Drill when you work with someone else.

BillyMac Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:08am

From An Old Veteran's Viewpoint ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 (Post 723118)
I don't recall a coast to coast switch on a violation ever having been proper mechanics.

As I previously posted, unless the mechanic has changed over the years, and that is certainly possible, since our local board has switched from NFHS, to IAABO mechanics, over the past few years, the "by the book" mechanic used to be to always administer your own line, that is to say, your new own line.

Of course, IAABO has mucked up the definition of "your own line", which is a separate problem for a separate thread.