Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 06:25pm
9 times

Re: Stripes

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Maybe the the Vanderbilt Football Coach would love Mark's approach (Watch ESPN SportsCenter)

Peace
No question. I wouldn't mind Mark's approach, it would be very easy to administer--I just don't see the rule basis in it.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:18pm
Administrator

Re: Re: Stripes

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Maybe the the Vanderbilt Football Coach would love Mark's approach (Watch ESPN SportsCenter)

Peace
No question. I wouldn't mind Mark's approach, it would be very easy to administer--I just don't see the rule basis in it.

1) I haven't had a chance to watch Sports Center the last couple of days, so please fill me in.

2) If the "F-word" does not fit the definition of vulgar or unsporting conduct that is extreme in nature, then we have a real problem in our society.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Like I said before, do what your assignor wants you to do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

1) I haven't had a chance to watch Sports Center the last couple of days, so please fill me in.
Vanderbilt coach has a policy of no cursing at all. He makes the players run if they curse anytime, anywhere on the field. He makes them do up-downs, run sprints or many other physical activity for violating a team rule. As a result, the players have come up with their own language. The report was rather funny. They came up with all these made up words to replace actual curse words.

Quote:

2) If the "F-word" does not fit the definition of vulgar or unsporting conduct that is extreme in nature, then we have a real problem in our society.
It is not a matter of what the society thinks, it is a matter of context. Like I said before, there has to be some context to what they are saying. I am not going to throw out a kid, especially in college for using this word. I am going to use common sense and understand who they are saying it to and why they are saying it. My job is to get in and get out, not to cause trouble. And like Ed Hightower says, "when you call a T, it should make the game better." I just do not see how throwing a kid out for one F-word makes the game better.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 11:56pm
Administrator

JR thanks for the quick reply concerning the Vanderbilt coach.

I never said that I would "T" or eject a player for using the "F-word" if I were the only other person to hear him/her. If that is the case, you can be sure that I will have be having a talk with him/her. BUT, if I am not the only person that hears the "F-word", then the player is gone.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up We are all individuals

Quote:

BUT, if I am not the only person that hears the "F-word", then the player is gone.
That is your right. I just do not agree with it. But as I will continue to say, if your assignors agree with that practice, then keep doing it. But if I did that, I might not see another game in those conferences.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 10:27am
9 times

Quote:
JR thanks for the quick reply concerning the Vanderbilt coach.

I never said that I would "T" or eject a player for using the "F-word" if I were the only other person to hear him/her. If that is the case, you can be sure that I will have be having a talk with him/her. BUT, if I am not the only person that hears the "F-word", then the player is gone.
Did I miss something? Here is your original post, in whole, from this thread.

Quote:
Are you kidding, when a youth drops the "F" bomb for any reason it is an ejection. The "F" bomb is 100% completely unacceptable at the youth, high school, and college level. And in a perfect world I would also like to think that since the vast majority of professional players are college educated that the "F" bomb would result in an ejection too. But as I stated before, at the youth, H.S., and college level, the "F" bomb means ejection.
Maybe 100% completely unacceptable means something different to you than it does to me. That criteria leaves no leeway for any usage of the "f word".

I agree that others hearing the word, in most cases call for a T, but I still don't agree about the ejection.

Quote:
I agree that our society has a problem with this, but don't we have to apply society's standards rather than our own? There is already a problem with officials not being consistent and this will only further muddy the water. Don't misunderstand, I think it is vulgar and highly inappropriate, but many in our society do not agree with us.

Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Lightbulb the tone is set by the stripes

Should we be surprized at the laxness of coaches and fans concerning this subject (profanity)? It was only a couple of months ago that the Harlem little leaguers did their showboating act and people tried to condone it by saying..."well, that is just the environment where they are growing up". If we use this logic, then things will never get better.

Kids, and adults for that matter, will adhere to the stipulations put on them. They will raise their standards when required to do so. The argument that it is an inner-city game or that the coaches allow their players to do it should make absolutely no difference to the officials. By our code of ethics, we are actually held to a higher standard than the coaches and players. "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" is acceptable for the teams...but just let there be any suggestion of cheating by the officials and there is such a hailstorm that nobody survives. Don't be afraid of forcing others to bring themselves up out of the gutter and perform in a manner that society would endorse outside of the athletic arena. Remember, these games are an extention of the classroom, and if the english or history teacher would not allow the act to occur in that class, it is our responsibility to make sure that the act does not go unpunished in our "class room".

Because we are supposed to be at this level, it should follow that we should try to up the standards of what we expect in our games. While a slight muttering may be ignored, the too often exibitions of profanity and taunting that are passed on need to be addressed...and addressed firmly.

If your supervisor says don't take care of the situation, if you really have any integrity, you must decide if that supervisor is really worth working for.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 12:54pm
9 times

Re: the tone is set by the stripes

I am all for enforcing the rule, but placing a 100% unacceptable label isn't realistic, IMO. We all know of situations where we would excuse it (due to volume, injury, etc.), but I beleive that most of us would penalize the offense appropriately. The rationale for ejection at the HS and higher levels has never, IMO, been justified. That is all that I am looking for from the proponents. I see that a T is appropriate, but not ejection and until I can be shown rule-wise that it is I, for one, will continue to just call the T.

Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 12:57pm
In Memoriam

Good post,Biggie!

I've always found that the coaches and players will figure out awful quick exactly what they can get away with in any particular game.They're not dumb.If the officials are consistent as to what they call or don't call,the teams will adjust to them.It's not our job to adjust to the teams.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2002, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not to punish??

I do not think anyone (I know I did not) say anything about letting it go. We are talking about the actual punishment. And ejection to me is very harsh. We are not talking about a church service here, we are talking about a game. If it is the extention of the classroom, then you try to teach behavior and sometimes that might mean doing nothing but talking. And I am sure different teachers use different tactics to accomplish the very same goal. Again, I see no such ruling for one usage of the F-word. If there is please tell me. But I am not going to jeapordize my career trying to be a pioneer for something that is not accepted. If that was the attitude I took in all my sports (especially in football) I might never see another game. I totally agree in having standards, but I do not agree with everyone what the punishment should be.

Peace