The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:25pm
I miss being on the floor

Last Shot

2-man mechanics. I'm lead, ball is in my corner, seconds for the quarter are ticking down.

Shot goes up, she beats the buzzer.

Let's say though, she didn't. Would the lead take the last shot since the ball is in my primary? Or does trail still have last shot responsibility? If he's watching down in my corner, who's watching the other 7 or 8 players?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:27pm
This IS My Social Life

Happy . . . to You

Trail.
S/he can still be aware of action in his/her primary while keeping an ear out for the horn. Extra loud gym might mean he'd need to take a quick glance at the scoreboard at the end of the gym. "Hockey style" scoreboards in especially loud gyms above the trail's head make this an especially difficult situation.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 26, 2011 at 09:29pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

2 person= trail
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
2-man mechanics. I'm lead, ball is in my corner, seconds for the quarter are ticking down.

Let's say though, she didn't. Would the lead take the last shot since the ball is in my primary? Or does trail still have last shot responsibility? If he's watching down in my corner, who's watching the other 7 or 8 players?
Trail. You decide if it's a 2 or 3 but the trail has whether it's off in time or not.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Trail has responsibility. Like most things, he may ask for help. This is more likely in a gym which is extremely loud and/or has only one clock, which is behind the trail.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post

Something that should be discussed every pre-game as much as possible. And if the game is coming to an end, then discuss it when you get a chance (usually during timeouts). Otherwise go with the trail if not discussed but both officials should take responsibility for getting this right even if you have to discuss it for a few seconds.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
2 person= trail
2 person or 3 person everyone has to be able to help out and have an opinion on every last second shot, if you get a good look at it. If your partner kicks the call you just can't tell a coach that it wasn't your call.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
2 person or 3 person everyone has to be able to help out and have an opinion on every last second shot, if you get a good look at it. If your partner kicks the call you just can't tell a coach that it wasn't your call.
Timeout before a potential last second shot..."So and so will have the last shot, but let's all make sure we have an opinion on the play."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 12:50pm. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Timeout before a potential last second shot..."So and so while have the last shot, but let's all make sure we have an opinion on the play."
Exactly!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Absolutely. This is the one time when officials *should* be ball watchers -- on a true last second shot (where the horn will go off either just before or just after the shot is in the air) out of your primary there's nothing else *for* you to be focusing on since there will be no rebounding action. Get a look at the shot, know whether it "should" count and be ready in case your partner didn't hear the horn, etc.

I had a partner kick the crap out of one about 7 years ago. He had a look on his face like he didn't know what to do and then he counted the basket (incorrectly). I stepped up and let him know visually I was there if he needed help and he came to me and I told him that there was no way that the shot got off in time.

He reversed himself (which caused a fair amount of grief) and then I dealt with the aggrieved coach who was more angry at the fact we reversed the call than at the reversed call itself. I think my line was, "So we agree the shot was late...." and he said, "It doesn't matter! He counted it!"