The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't See Shot Go In...

I'm trail (3 man crew). Play starts in my area and goes to the basket. I and one of my partners (lead) double whistle on the crash. We both came out with the same call (block). I take the call, go to report and indicate to the table "two shots", look back at my partners and indicate "two shots". Lead steps into the lane and indicates "two shots" to players. A1 shoots first shot, misses, and then A2 gets the rebound and puts the ball back in. Now everyone is confused. At this point, the table tells us that the shot went in on the foul, therefore we should have only been shooting one. I never saw it go in, the lead never saw it either. Call in the center official and he says that he didn't see it either. What do you do at this point?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord View Post
I'm trail (3 man crew). Play starts in my area and goes to the basket. I and one of my partners (lead) double whistle on the crash. We both came out with the same call (block). I take the call, go to report and indicate to the table "two shots", look back at my partners and indicate "two shots". Lead steps into the lane and indicates "two shots" to players. A1 shoots first shot, misses, and then A2 gets the rebound and puts the ball back in. Now everyone is confused. At this point, the table tells us that the shot went in on the foul, therefore we should have only been shooting one. I never saw it go in, the lead never saw it either. Call in the center official and he says that he didn't see it either. What do you do at this point?
If the table says it went in, and none of you saw otherwise, I'd go with it.
CE on the FTs, go to the arrow for possession.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'd go with it.
CE on the FTs, go to the arrow for possession.
Which one (a) or (b)? At first glance, I'm not sure how to apply either one. You obviously are going with (a variant of) (b) but isn't that POI. Maybe it should be A's ball.

edited: . . . and points scored?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Which one (a) or (b)? At first glance, I'm not sure how to apply either one. You obviously are going with (a variant of) (b) but isn't that POI. Maybe it should be A's ball.

The putback after the missed free throw didn't happen. The ball was dead.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Is this how a CE is applied? If it is a CE, why does 2-10-5 not apply?

Last edited by Scratch85; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:05pm.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Quote:
Yep, the only caveat is if all of the players ignored the officials' directive and played it as a one-shot foul. In that case, count the put-back and give B the ball for an end-line throw in.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Is this how a CE is applied?
When the official says "two shots," the ball then becomes dead after it's clear it won't be successful.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:16pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Yep, the only caveat is if all of the players ignored the officials' directive and played it as a one-shot foul. In that case, count the put-back and give B the ball for an end-line throw in.
Not even that in this case. The officials both said two shots, which says to me that they didn't count the basket. Two shots, at this point, was not erroneous information. When this free throw ended, the ball became dead.

I don't know what caveat is. Is that them little fish egg things?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
When the official says "two shots," the ball then becomes dead after it's clear it won't be successful.
My bad. I read it as everyone went for the rebound and A2 got it and the put back.

This is the same as the classic 1-1 where the refs erroneously call 2 shots. I thought this was 2.10.1(J) when it was really 8.6.1 (b) I can't find a hole big enough to crawl into.

Last edited by Scratch85; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:33pm.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same exact situation happen earlier this year in a BJV game. This is what I was told by Varsity officials for the future situations:

Provided you blew the whistle dead before shot was made:

If all players went in to play the missed shot, then you would continue with an OOB given to whoever rebounded the ball.

If only one player went in to rebound the ball while the other stood around waiting for second shoot to be attempted (as had happened in my situation), then you go with the arrow.

I was told by Varsity officials that you should think of it as Advantage/Disadvantage. If one team clearly had advantage by the confusion, you go with arrow. If no one had clear advantage, you go with OOB to who rebounded the ball.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not even that in this case. The officials both said two shots, which says to me that they didn't count the basket. Two shots, at this point, was not erroneous information. When this free throw ended, the ball became dead.

I don't know what caveat is. Is that them little fish egg things?
Caveat = Case Play 2.10.1J
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

3 person crew and no body saw the ball go in?where was c?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
3 person crew and no body saw the ball go in?where was c?
When I was evaluating officials (2 Men System) I would tell them it was a Cardinal Sin to miss a made basket(or count a missed basket), I guess with 3 men its a Bishop Sin.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:27pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I had the same exact situation happen earlier this year in a BJV game. This is what I was told by Varsity officials for the future situations:

Provided you blew the whistle dead before shot was made:

If all players went in to play the missed shot, then you would continue with an OOB given to whoever rebounded the ball.

If only one player went in to rebound the ball while the other stood around waiting for second shoot to be attempted (as had happened in my situation), then you go with the arrow.

I was told by Varsity officials that you should think of it as Advantage/Disadvantage. If one team clearly had advantage by the confusion, you go with arrow. If no one had clear advantage, you go with OOB to who rebounded the ball.
Please!!!!

Read the rules book more and post less. Go regale a soccer board with your perverted sense of the rules. Move to an area where soccer is played year-round and devote yourself to it...

IOW, beat it!
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Please!!!!

Read the rules book more and post less. Go regale a soccer board with your perverted sense of the rules. Move to an area where soccer is played year-round and devote yourself to it...

IOW, beat it!
OK, JAC, do tell us where he messed up this ruling if you're so sure he needs to read the book.