The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Was this wrong?

Finished reffing my first game tonight, was on my way to the restroom. Passed a pickup basketball game. Two guys were struggling with the ball. Just having fun, I said, "Oh that's a foul!" and kept walking. One of them looked at me and grinned.

As I walked away I heard: "She said it was a foul! She's an official ref!" and more arguing.

Bwahahahaha.

Rita
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Kinda like being on this forum - throw in a comment, step back, and watch the arguing...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:10am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Kinda like being on this forum - throw in a comment, step back, and watch the arguing...
Also known as chumming.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Also known as chumming.
Or a verbal hand grenade. Pull the pin, toss, stand back and watch the carnage
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Did someone call my name?

Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:09pm
This IS My Social Life

A Record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Finished reffing my first game tonight . . . Rita
Wow, Rita, I've gotta give you credit. 405 posts on the discussion board and only now officiating for your very first time. Now that's what I call patient and persistent preparation! I wish you the best on your newfound avocation as a basketball official.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Gee thanks, I had just gotten that AT&T commercial out of my head too...

"Let's follow that lady with the lap-top and watch day time dramas at the bus-stop!"

That'll be in my head for another week now.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to work at a big-city newspaper. This is pre-Internet, so they used to get all kinds of calls about trivia and bar bets.

They could always expect heated questions like: Who won more games in the 1970s -- the Mets or the Red Sox? (or whatever teams were being debated during some drinking binge)

In a case like that, they all knew the script. They'd ask the original caller who he thought had the most, was the best, etc. They'd pause while "researching" the answer and then say, "Yep, you're right."

Triumphant, the caller would invariably say, "I knew it! Here, tell my buddy. He won't believe me." And hand over the phone.

Buddy gets on the line, and they'd then tell him just the opposite was true. Quick hang up, followed by laughing themselves sick. Only a few times did they ever get follow-up calls, I guess.

It seems at least a few listers here would have fit in on that newspaper staff back then ...
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to work at a big-city newspaper. This is pre-Internet, so they used to get all kinds of calls about trivia and bar bets.

They could always expect heated questions like: Who won more games in the 1970s -- the Mets or the Red Sox? (or whatever teams were being debated during some drinking binge)

In a case like that, they all knew the script. They'd ask the original caller who he thought had the most, was the best, etc. They'd pause while "researching" the answer and then say, "Yep, you're right."

Triumphant, the caller would invariably say, "I knew it! Here, tell my buddy. He won't believe me." And hand over the phone.

Buddy gets on the line, and they'd then tell him just the opposite was true. Quick hang up, followed by laughing themselves sick. Only a few times did they ever get follow-up calls, I guess.

It seems at least a few listers here would have fit in on that newspaper staff back then ...
And then they would celebrate with a bag of microwave popcorn. Oh, wait. They couldn't.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

It sounds to me like you called out of your area.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Wow, Rita, I've gotta give you credit. 405 posts on the discussion board and only now officiating for your very first time. Now that's what I call patient and persistent preparation! I wish you the best on your newfound avocation as a basketball official.
First of two Freddy. First of two.

Silly boy.

Rita
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I had over 1000 posts here before I started officiating basketball. 99% of them were in the Football or baseball sections. This resulted in grune yelling at me. (Sorry, had to get that jab in one more time. )