The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty Neat

Did a small private school varsity game last night where the head coach let us know ahead of time that one of their players was 3 points away from 1,000 points total for his HS career. They requested to stop the action after the points were scored, make an announcement, take pictures, and retire the game ball used. We asked him to clear it with the visiting coach first, which he did, and everything was set.

He hit a three early in the first period and everything went off without a hitch.

That was the first time I was ever involved with something like this and thought it was pretty cool. Anybody else have an experience that stands out like that?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Did a small private school varsity game last night where the head coach let us know ahead of time that one of their players was 3 points away from 1,000 points total for his HS career. They requested to stop the action after the points were scored, make an announcement, take pictures, and retire the game ball used. We asked him to clear it with the visiting coach first, which he did, and everything was set.

He hit a three early in the first period and everything went off without a hitch.

That was the first time I was ever involved with something like this and thought it was pretty cool. Anybody else have an experience that stands out like that?
Henny Padgett will be here shortly
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Nice to have been a part of that. Nothing like that has happened to me but last night was the first set of games I have ever called that none of the coaches said a single word about any call we made. The fans weren't as supportive but the coaches never said a word. Unusual for around here
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Happens at nearly all "milestone" games.

The exception is when the milestone is reached late in a tight game.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had the very same situation earlier in the year. The home team came to us (me the Referee mainly) and told us that if the star of the visiting team scored 11 points, they would stop the game to commemorate the fact he broke a school record in points. I do not even know if they told the visiting team they would do this. All I asked was that we not stop the game at an awkward moment and when the game clearly moving. Well they had the points on the board for each player in the game and we knew the minute it happen. The kid did not have a good first half so it did not happen until the second half in a close game. Also it was kind of clear that the kid was not trying to break the record in the first half on the road as he was always passing the ball off or not taking an open shot he had to get one to his teammates (he was the point guard as well). When the player got to the milestone we stopped the game and went on with the ceremony.

The amazing thing was the kid actually was not at all boastful or interested in the attention. He almost looked embarrassed that he was getting the attention. They gave the kid the game ball and we switched to another ball and we continued the game. The ceremony took about 3 or 4 minutes and the game continued. The home team lost the game.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I had the very same situation earlier in the year. The home team came to us (me the Referee mainly) and told us that if the star of the visiting team scored 11 points, they would stop the game to commemorate the fact he broke a school record in points. I do not even know if they told the visiting team they would do this. All I asked was that we not stop the game at an awkward moment and when the game clearly moving. Well they had the points on the board for each player in the game and we knew the minute it happen. The kid did not have a good first half so it did not happen until the second half in a close game. Also it was kind of clear that the kid was not trying to break the record in the first half on the road as he was always passing the ball off or not taking an open shot he had to get one to his teammates (he was the point guard as well). When the player got to the milestone we stopped the game and went on with the ceremony.

The amazing thing was the kid actually was not at all boastful or interested in the attention. He almost looked embarrassed that he was getting the attention. They gave the kid the game ball and we switched to another ball and we continued the game. The ceremony took about 3 or 4 minutes and the game continued. The home team lost the game.

Peace
3-4 minutes? Seems a little too long for my liking. One minute should cover everything you need to know, and it really should be just a nice short gesture. Maybe do a pregame award at his home school, no wonder the kid looked embarassed.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 03:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Have seen it several times and officiated for it a couple times. Got an assist on one of them. [Administered the FT]. The player's father was someone I played ball with way back in time and it was an away game. V won by 25 or so. The other game was with the home player reaching the mark. Pre-arranged. Short ceremony. Back to the game.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Poor Sportsmanship ...

I had several of these. One that stands out in my mind is a game where the visiting player scored his 1000th point. The visiting fans cheered. The home fans didn't.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
3-4 minutes? Seems a little too long for my liking. One minute should cover everything you need to know, and it really should be just a nice short gesture. Maybe do a pregame award at his home school, no wonder the kid looked embarassed.
I was not sitting there with a timer. I know that when we stopped the clock and when we put the ball in play that probably was the time it took. It might have been shorter. This happen in early December and not something I thought much about until reading this thread.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Happens at nearly all "milestone" games.

The exception is when the milestone is reached late in a tight game.
Back when I was coaching, one of my players needed 25 points for 1,000. I arranged everything with the opposing coach and officials just in case. She got 998 to force OT. When they went back out for the OT tip, I told the timer to not hit the horn and the U to just play on. She scored her 1,000 in the OT, and they made an announcement at the next timeout. We won, and our next game was home, so we did a ceremony before the game, and also stopped another game for her later in the season when she got her 1,000th rebound.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

One season, I had the fortune to referee a coach's 900th HS game and a game where the player broke the section record on 3 point FGs made.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

This year I hit my 100th T. The game was stopped and I was handed a ceremonial shoe with some poo on it. The fans booed and the coaches complained, one player even lifted his jersey in disgust. All in all it took about 8 minutes as I issued a T for each coach being out of the box, ejected all the fans and tossed the kid for being a jerk. It was a moving ceremony presided over by the honorable John McEnroe.

So far it looks like the road to 200 might be much faster.