The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post
I had something similar. We had a BJV game and the first half went good. V had about 8 or 9 fouls and H about 5 or 6. At half, my partner comes to me and asks me to stop calling fouls in his area. I did not realize I was doing it, just following the play from my area to the basket, mostly at the lower box an my side as the trial. I said OK. The second half, I swallowed my whistle for play in the paint when I am trail. Bad mistake. I let about 5 or 6 fouls go for V and 1 for H. Fouls were about 9 to 2 in favor of H. V couch reasonably upset. After another no call he goes berserk and I T him. As I was reporting the T, he walks to my partner and lets him at it and he T's him for the second time and he's gone. Should never have happened. A valuable lesson learned at the expense of the coach. Next time I will talk it out with my partner and let him know I will follow drives to the basket that are near to my side. Most of these fouls were open to me and he is looking through players.

Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I had something similar. We had a BJV game and the first half went good. V had about 8 or 9 fouls and H about 5 or 6. At half, my partner comes to me and asks me to stop calling fouls in his area. I did not realize I was doing it, just following the play from my area to the basket, mostly at the lower box an my side as the trial. I said OK. The second half, I swallowed my whistle for play in the paint when I am trail. Bad mistake. I let about 5 or 6 fouls go for V and 1 for H. Fouls were about 9 to 2 in favor of H. V couch reasonably upset. After another no call he goes berserk and I T him. As I was reporting the T, he walks to my partner and lets him at it and he T's him for the second time and he's gone. Should never have happened. A valuable lesson learned at the expense of the coach. Next time I will talk it out with my partner and let him know I will follow drives to the basket that are near to my side. Most of these fouls were open to me and he is looking through players.

Am I wrong?
Assuming 2 officials:

1. It is his primary, but not an ideal area for him to have.
2. He should be crossing over to get a good look at these plays.
3. It's an area where you should hold your whistle a second before getting the call from T. Give him a chance to make the call, but I'd get them.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:29pm
Esteemed Participant

In situations like this, presentation is everything...rather than giving your partner a lecture - which I guarantee you is exactly how it came across to him - ask questions. "Partner, what are you seeing on those drives to the basket?" or "Partner, what is the defender doing in the post that I am missing?" Your partner will respond way better to that kind of presentation, as opposed to "You..." followed by anything.

I have learned that it is way easier to get a crew on the same page when I don't act like the teacher lecturing a student.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Most of these fouls were open to me and he is looking through players.

Am I wrong?
Probably not. It's called a PRIMARY coverage area, not an EXCLUSIVE coverage area. I always tell a partner that if you see something in my PCA, call it. I'm not territorial.

That said, I still kicked a call recently in my partner's area.

I was the trail, and had a shooting foul. The coach thought it was a clean block ("why didn't HE call it"), and my partner thought it was, too. My partner nicely spoke to me at halftime, with the "trust your partner" message. Indeed, I broke the rule about calling out of your PCA. I wasn't late (I was way too quick), nor was I right.

Still, I appreciated his thoughts. Many partners will simply not say anything, and grumble about behind your back. That doesn't help anyone. I have far more respect for a partner that tries to give constructive criticism.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
In situations like this, presentation is everything...rather than giving your partner a lecture - which I guarantee you is exactly how it came across to him - ask questions. "Partner, what are you seeing on those drives to the basket?" or "Partner, what is the defender doing in the post that I am missing?" Your partner will respond way better to that kind of presentation, as opposed to "You..." followed by anything.

I have learned that it is way easier to get a crew on the same page when I don't act like the teacher lecturing a student.
I usually ask a partner about a play with the exact time and the situation and let them tell me what they saw. Then we talk about the play if that play was a "problem." Usually they say something that makes me satisfied becasue they explain something I did not see or that they had an angle I did not have. Most of all it becomes a conversation, not a lecture or it does not seem as if I am the one trying to see what I missed.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sometimes we just need to finish the game and go home.
Yep.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I know this is an old thread, but...

Along the lines of partners giving feedback, I had this happen this week.

After our 3-whistle BV game, we get in the locker room and one of my partners starts a postgame conversation, which is normal. The problem I had with it was that it was that he was the only one doing the talking and he directed it all at me about one play, which I thought was unfair. Not only that, but he accused me of calling in front of him in his area, and used this one play as an example. (He didn't approach it with the "What did you see?" like others have used in this thread)

I was the C, he was the L, and we had a player in the lane shooting a 3-4 footer while moving toward the basket. The defender pushed him from behind and I got the foul. Probably not in my primary by strict interpretation, but definitely in the gray area in the lane, and I had a great angle and look at the play, so I called it. He told me that "At that point in the game we should let #32 play through that" (#32 is a very good player and it was the 4th quarter), and that the play was two feet in front of him. I simply asked if he would have called it a foul in the first quarter, to which he got really defensive. That led to a short argument and voices being raised. (If he didn't want me to respond, he shouldn't have brought it up in the first place)

He did admit on the way home that he handled it the wrong way, and I told him that I don't have a problem discussing plays, but I don't care to get accused of calling out of my area because of one play in the gray area.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Hello stranger!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Hello stranger!
Old thread, he's still on sabbatical.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Hello stranger!
This thread is about a year old.

I almost missed that too.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Old thread, he's still on sabbatical.
oops!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

This is something you unfortunately will always deal with.

My advice is to be REALLY good on your plays. Don't try to put the same weak calls into the game as your partner. Don't change how you referee.

Coaches will watch the film and see that your partner sucked and you did a good job. And will hopefully then rate accordingly.

As far as what you could have done, it depends on your relationship with the other official. If he is your peer, and you have a good relationship, I would definitely try to engage him by asking things like: "How do you feel the game is going?" "Are there any calls we didn't like?" Hopefully, you can start to have some honest dialog and improve things for the rest of the game.

If this other official is a "bigdog", I wouldn't waste your time. They are usually set in their ways and you don't really have the standing to approach them. So just be the BEST that YOU can be.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
Situation is this; I am sure everyone has called a game with someone that you are not on the same page with. I worked a championship tournament and My partner and I were not on the same planet. He was calling all over the floor, and "Breathe on you" fouls. Anyway, At halftime, I tactfully said, and in a polite way, I said, "partner, If you would just slow down a bit and referee the result of the play, Some of the fouls you might not have to call. He got very Defensive and Actually got Upset and felt he was being talked down to. He actually made the comment that He hates how Officials do that and etc. He also told me, "I called you to go work this game with me, Don't forget that. And it was him that did me the favor, etc. I said Ok, Got it and tried to change the subject. I didn't want to upset him anymore because we had another half to work. So we went out to work the 2nd half and because i didn't match his calls, We looked terrible as a crew. I wasn't about to make up fouls to be on the same page with him. Guess that made us very "INCONSISTENT" as the coaches like to use. I really tried to be a good partner but because he called everything, It looked like I didn't know what I was doing. I honestly didn't mean it in a degrading way but I can say, I will be ok if we don't work together again. Wondering if anyone else has had a partner that you just didn't blend in with.........Thanks for your input in advance.........freddie_g2001 at Yahoo.com
No matter how sweet you sounded, not very tactful IMO. How about "Am I letting them bang too much" This gives him a shot of 'fessing up' that he was a little over officious in his calls. If he doesn't bite, you know what kind of second half you're in for.

That said, so what if you hurt his feelings. You expressed your concerns and while you may be off his Christmas card list, he may adjust his calls for 2nd half which is really your goal.

What level? Sounds like JH tourney.

Edit: Sorry, just saw old thread responses

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 12:23pm.