The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Good game, messy ending

Saturday night, boys' JV. I had an experienced and strong partner. The game was close the whole way. Both teams pressed and both wanted to shoot a lot of threes, and made a fair number. Both coaches were decent. The visiting coach was a little young and complained two or three times but nothing significant.

Fast-forward to the final minute. Home scores with ~55 seconds left to go up 50-46. Visitors come down and are looking for a three from their best shooter but he is guarded well and nobody wants to shoot. Somebody else finally shoots and misses with 15 seconds left, and after a home rebound the visitors foul and we have a 1-and-1. Home misses, visitors dribble up and the visiting coach takes his last timeout with 9.5 seconds left.

This was a galactically-dumb timeout. They need two scores, and now can't stop the clock after the first one if they get it. Out of the timeout, they pass in to the corner and get a three blocked OOB on my endline (I'm L) with :08.2 left. On the ensuing throw-in, they hit a cutter for a layup. Home grabs the ball out of the net and I glance up as I start my count and see 5.7 or so. After a couple seconds of the visiting coach yelling for a foul, a visitor reaches through the plane and smacks the ball. I hit the whistle and glance up at :00.9 on the clock. I report the technical with the visiting crowd jeering (and the visiting coach happy of course.) I do know the case book comment about ignoring knocking the ball away or breaking the plane with less than five seconds, but I don't think it applies here as the count was going to end before time expired.

Home makes 1 of 2, so now it is 51-48. The inbound pass comes in and the visitors foul the guy who catches it. I blow the whistle for the foul and the clock stops at :00.1. Double bonus. I report the foul as the visiting coach is loudly telling me it should be :00.6. Not sure if he was thinking of the NBA rule where a minimum of 0.3 would have to come off in that situation or what. But I've got no information or rule to use to change the time in this situation. He's a step on the floor and a step on the wrong side of midcourt. I REALLY don't want to pin him with 0.1 left. I tell him twice that he's been heard and shoo him back. I turn back for the free throws and hear my partner say something about picking up a marker. I turn back and I guess he threw his marker down and it was on the floor. I point at it and as he turns to pick it up he screams "that's terrible!" and I've run out of rope, so I pin him.

Visiting crowd is crazy now, and we quickly shoot the 4 FTs, as home makes 3. 54-48. I crossover to handle the final throw-in and as the home player is coming over I hear a fan yell "you have time, you can call at least one more technical" which was a little funny. I bit my lip to keep from smiling and a moment later we were out of there.

Last edited by A Pennsylvania Coach; Sun Jan 23, 2011 at 11:54am. Reason: typo
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Well handled.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good job.

Also, the case play about ignoring it wouldn't apply for another reason. "However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower's efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued."

The case play says, "with less than five second left," it says nothing about whether the 5 second count could be reached before time expires. I'm wondering if it would apply in your situation (assuming the player did not actually interfere with the throw-in attempt.)
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:08am
#thereferee99

Solid.

Solid.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Well handled.
Ditto...messiness had nothing to do with how you officiated the game.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 11:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Well handled.
YU.P. He took care of business, and even gave V the chance to end the game respectfully.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 12:55pm
#thereferee99

There's a chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Saturday night, boys' JV. I had an experienced and strong partner.
... your partner may be saying the same thing!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Home scores with ~55 seconds left to go up 50-46. Visitors come down and are looking for a three from their best shooter but he is guarded well and nobody wants to shoot. Somebody else finally shoots and misses with 15 seconds left, and after a home rebound the visitors foul and we have a 1-and-1.
This says alot about the coaches ability

That was terrible!