The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

First Correctable Error

And no I'm not happy about it, but it could have been worse. At the end of the 3rd period I go up to my partners and remind them that white's in the bonus. About 30 seconds later green has the ball to inbound and I've got my 5-second count going. G13 pushes W5 to get space to receive the inbound. I blow the whistle, report the foul and, you guessed it, proceed to allow white to inbound the ball.

White goes down, shoots and scores, and one of my partner blows his whistle to stop the clock. He asks me if the foul was a team control or not and I say "No", realizing that we've (ok, I've) screwed up.

We get W5 on the line, he makes both free throws, then green takes the ball out at the POI with the ability to run the baseline.
  • Bad - forgot white was in the bonus after I had just reminded everyone they were.
  • Good - we got together as a crew and fixed it.
  • Better - I didn't go in the tank after having made the error and called a good game after it (based on feedback received from more experienced partners).
Lesson learned - slow down, think about the foul that just happened and whether or not it's team/player control, especially in a bonus situation.

Interesting sidebar - when I reported the foul I didn't indicate it was a team/player control foul. Somewhere my mind was trying to tell me something and it would have been nice to stop and listen to it.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is the one I wish they'd change, but good job fixing the error.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
White goes down, shoots and scores, and one of my partner blows his whistle to stop the clock.
...did your partner blow his whistle prior to the ball being at the disposal of Green? i.e. before the 2nd live ball after the clock had started?

Edit: Whoops...re-read your OP...looks like he did...or did he?

Help me Snaqs.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Fri Jan 21, 2011 at 11:27pm.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Dan we had a similar situation last night at the C-Squad vs. Varsity game. Home C-Squad fouled Guest V making 7th team foul & the ball was put into play OOB instead of Bonus. (I tried to notify via horn that it was bonus but they still put the ball in play). After Guest V scored, they called "CE" & gave Guest V the FTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...did your partner blow his whistle prior to the ball being at the disposal of Green? i.e. before the 2nd live ball after the clock had started?

Edit: Whoops...re-read your OP...looks like he did.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Dan we had a similar situation last night at the C-Squad vs. Varsity game. Home C-Squad fouled Guest V making 7th team foul & the ball was put into play OOB instead of Bonus. (I tried to notify via horn that it was bonus but they still put the ball in play). After Guest V scored, they called "CE" & gave Guest V the FTs.
Eagleman...if that ever happens when I am officiating at your school...KEEP TRYING TO NOTIFY, via horn, untill you get my attention! I want to get that baby fixed DURING the 1st live ball....it just makes it easier IMHO.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

The bad thing about it was that we were in Gym 1 with the scorers' table that has the light box on it & I had the Bonus light lit as soon as the inbounds happened after the 6th team foul. The officiating crew seemed to ignore the bonus light on the scorers' table & got all their info from the scoreboard (I reminded them at halftime about the bonus indicators there on the table).

It also didn't help the Official Scorer is 11-12 years old (C-Squad coach is his father) & the visiting scorer wasn't really communicative.

Quote:
Eagleman...if that ever happens when I am officiating at your school...KEEP TRYING TO NOTIFY, via horn, untill you get my attention! I want to get that baby fixed DURING the 1st live ball....it just makes it easier IMHO.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Edit: Whoops...re-read your OP...looks like he did...or did he?

Help me Snaqs.
Yes, he did. He said he was waiting for the first dead ball to occur so we could fix it as he realized soon after the inbound that we had a problem.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2011, 09:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Yes, he did. He said he was waiting for the first dead ball to occur so we could fix it as he realized soon after the inbound that we had a problem.
Tell him next time to blow it dead right away. No need to wait for a dead ball, or you get this situation; A getting 4 points off of the foul.