The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:23pm
Ok is the new good

2 Newbies working

Hello,

Have a game later today where I ..The Rookie will be working with a 2nd year official on a Frosh Boys game. I am listed as the R. Should I take this on considering that this is only my 6th game ever?

Plus, do we as young officials change anything in our appraoch to calling the game since we are both new at this?

Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Don't act like a newbie and no one will know!! Call the game according ot the book and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you pre-game with your U to ensure you have your rotation correct, etc.

As far as being the R - if you understand the responsibilities of the R then you should have no problem. Hint - try practicing throwing the ball up a few times before you get to the game - this will give you an idea of how much to put on it to get the ball high enough but not to high.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post

As far as being the R - if you understand the responsibilities of the R then you should have no problem. Hint - try practicing throwing the ball up a few times before you get to the game - this will give you an idea of how much to put on it to get the ball high enough but not to high.
Or use your R powers and make your U toss the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Also, no need to change up your approach to calling the game since you're both new. Call the obvious. Call what's in your area. Slow down and communicate with each other.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:39pm
TODO: creative title here

Demeanor is everything. If your body language makes it look like you've done this for years, then that's 90% of the battle right there.

You'll be fine.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Don't act like a newbie and no one will know!! Call the game according ot the book and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you pre-game with your U to ensure you have your rotation correct, etc.

+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high. (always do this alone at home) I try to throw "straight" up the beam, but not hit the ceiling or the beam. The beam helps to keep the throw straight. After a few tosses, you'll get the "range" I would guess I throw it up about 10'. Make sure you start with the whistle in your mouth, spit the whistle and then toss. Duplicate exactly what you would do in a game. ( you may want to move any lamps that are in the near vicinity as I muffed the ball coming down once and broke one. Good thing we have a dog, wife wasn't happy later when she came home.) Blamed the dog.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high. (always do this alone at home) I try to throw "straight" up the beam, but not hit the ceiling or the beam. The beam helps to keep the throw straight. After a few tosses, you'll get the "range" I would guess I throw it up about 10'. Make sure you start with the whistle in your mouth, spit the whistle and then toss. Duplicate exactly what you would do in a game. ( you may want to move any lamps that are in the near vicinity as I muffed the ball coming down once and broke one. Good thing we have a dog, wife wasn't happy later when she came home.) Blamed the dog.
If I'm at the gym and the court is empty, I'll grab a basketball and practice tossing the ball through the bottom of the basket ring.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If I'm at the gym and the court is empty, I'll grab a basketball and practice tossing the ball through the bottom of the basket ring.
Good one, thanks. I still practice 5-10 tosses before my games. I've gotten so "good" that I get selected to toss by a senior reff! Plan may have backfired!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high.
+1 If tossing straight is a problem, pick an overhead target.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Hello,

Have a game later today where I ..The Rookie will be working with a 2nd year official on a Frosh Boys game. I am listed as the R. Should I take this on considering that this is only my 6th game ever?
Don't be intimidated by the label. 90+% of the time, who the referee is is not terribly significant. Around here, for subvarsity, we don't even designate a R.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Don't be intimidated by the label. 90+% of the time, who the referee is is not terribly significant. Around here, for subvarsity, we don't even designate a R.
Same here.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We always do here, because the R gets to pick...grey or black/white!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
We always do here, because the R gets to pick...grey or black/white!
Who decides about belts?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who decides about belts?
The one who doesn't need a belt...makes for some interesting negotiations!
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 05:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Demeanor is everything.
True. Demeanor debetter.