The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 Newbies working (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/60915-2-newbies-working.html)

The_Rookie Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:23pm

2 Newbies working

Hello,

Have a game later today where I ..The Rookie will be working with a 2nd year official on a Frosh Boys game. I am listed as the R. Should I take this on considering that this is only my 6th game ever?

Plus, do we as young officials change anything in our appraoch to calling the game since we are both new at this?

Thanks!

RobbyinTN Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:26pm

Don't act like a newbie and no one will know!! Call the game according ot the book and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you pre-game with your U to ensure you have your rotation correct, etc.

As far as being the R - if you understand the responsibilities of the R then you should have no problem. Hint - try practicing throwing the ball up a few times before you get to the game - this will give you an idea of how much to put on it to get the ball high enough but not to high.

APG Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 720082)

As far as being the R - if you understand the responsibilities of the R then you should have no problem. Hint - try practicing throwing the ball up a few times before you get to the game - this will give you an idea of how much to put on it to get the ball high enough but not to high.

Or use your R powers and make your U toss the ball. ;)

APG Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:30pm

Also, no need to change up your approach to calling the game since you're both new. Call the obvious. Call what's in your area. Slow down and communicate with each other.

jTheUmp Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:39pm

Demeanor is everything. If your body language makes it look like you've done this for years, then that's 90% of the battle right there.

You'll be fine.

Loudwhistle Fri Jan 21, 2011 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 720082)
Don't act like a newbie and no one will know!! Call the game according ot the book and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you pre-game with your U to ensure you have your rotation correct, etc.

+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high. (always do this alone at home) I try to throw "straight" up the beam, but not hit the ceiling or the beam. The beam helps to keep the throw straight. After a few tosses, you'll get the "range" I would guess I throw it up about 10'. Make sure you start with the whistle in your mouth, spit the whistle and then toss. Duplicate exactly what you would do in a game. ( you may want to move any lamps that are in the near vicinity as I muffed the ball coming down once and broke one. Good thing we have a dog, wife wasn't happy later when she came home.) Blamed the dog.

APG Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 720100)
+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high. (always do this alone at home) I try to throw "straight" up the beam, but not hit the ceiling or the beam. The beam helps to keep the throw straight. After a few tosses, you'll get the "range" I would guess I throw it up about 10'. Make sure you start with the whistle in your mouth, spit the whistle and then toss. Duplicate exactly what you would do in a game. ( you may want to move any lamps that are in the near vicinity as I muffed the ball coming down once and broke one. Good thing we have a dog, wife wasn't happy later when she came home.) Blamed the dog.

If I'm at the gym and the court is empty, I'll grab a basketball and practice tossing the ball through the bottom of the basket ring.

Loudwhistle Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 720107)
If I'm at the gym and the court is empty, I'll grab a basketball and practice tossing the ball through the bottom of the basket ring.

Good one, thanks. I still practice 5-10 tosses before my games. I've gotten so "good" that I get selected to toss by a senior reff! Plan may have backfired!:D

just another ref Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 720100)
+1
When I was starting out, I practiced my toss by using a large vertical beam in our living room that is about 12' high.

+1 If tossing straight is a problem, pick an overhead target.

just another ref Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 720077)
Hello,

Have a game later today where I ..The Rookie will be working with a 2nd year official on a Frosh Boys game. I am listed as the R. Should I take this on considering that this is only my 6th game ever?

Don't be intimidated by the label. 90+% of the time, who the referee is is not terribly significant. Around here, for subvarsity, we don't even designate a R.

Loudwhistle Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 720115)
Don't be intimidated by the label. 90+% of the time, who the referee is is not terribly significant. Around here, for subvarsity, we don't even designate a R.

Same here.

Scuba_ref Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 720115)

We always do here, because the R gets to pick...grey or black/white!

just another ref Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_ref (Post 720128)
We always do here, because the R gets to pick...grey or black/white!

Who decides about belts?

Scuba_ref Fri Jan 21, 2011 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 720129)
Who decides about belts?

The one who doesn't need a belt...makes for some interesting negotiations!

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 21, 2011 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 720092)
Demeanor is everything.

True. Demeanor debetter. :rolleyes: