The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Buzzer favored home team.... Strange Situation

Here is the situation: Working a 3A boys Varsity Rival Conference Game. Close game, very competitive, Ball gets taken in by the home team, Buzzer inadvertently sounded, Everyone stops for a second, then Team A-1 (Home) passes to A2 who took the ball to the basket. Defender was way late and hit A2 from behind and I called the foul and the ball went in. No problem with the foul and the basket. I went to the table to report my foul and asked the table why we had the buzzer and he said the clock has been doing that all season. Only after analyzing this in the Locker Room with my two partners did we discuss what happened. Of course Visitor Coach was very unhappy with the result as You and I would be if we were the coach.

I thought, I should have killed the play since everyone paused when the buzzer sounded. (inadvertantly) If Only I would have thought quicker and blew my whistle, this could have been avoided. If, If, If, but we just let them play.

Thoughts or suggestions Welcomed........Thanks for your input in advance.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This way the kids will learn to play to the whistle rather than the buzzer.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It almost makes you want to ask ahead of time if there are any known problems with the clock.

If issues were known ahead of time, communication could have been made to both teams to be clear that players should play through the horn and only the whistle will inform players that something happened. I would then always have a whistle at the end of quarters.

If you did have the presence of mind to sound the whistle when the horn sounded in your situation above, then all the power to you, imo. But letting it go as described is good, too. We can't be expected to "keep it in our mind" to blow the play dead if there is an IH on an errant device.

As they say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". Even if it was before a time where you and your P (Ps) could discuss the matter (such as a TO or quarter- or half-time), I wouldn't let the situation happen again: hammer on that whistle. In football, they say "no cheap fumbles" and I think in this case, the common sense thing is "no cheap plays" especially when a foul and 3-point play is involved.

But what's better is to ask why the horn went off in the first place. When you learn of this errant device, at that time inform both coaches, allow both teams to have a 10-second officials timeout so that the coaches can properly instruct their players, then continue with the game. This is where a good R will step and ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Jan 21, 2011 at 11:10am.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:54am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It almost makes you want to ask ahead of time if there are any known problems with the clock.
I routinely do that in pregame. Ask the home coach during pregame. Any special ground rules in this building? Clock/scoreboard issues? Overhangs? Dead spots?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
Buzzer inadvertently sounded, Everyone stops for a second,
Kill it right there -- even if you don't recognize that's what to do for a second or two.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:16am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Kill it right there -- even if you don't recognize that's what to do for a second or two.
I like this suggestion.

I pictured in my mind that in the OP, during this 1- or 2- lapse by everyone, Team A passed and scored. And then even caught the official off guard! If the try was airborne, one would have to be a very good damage control official to kill the play (negating the basket) and give A a throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
+1. In asking why there was a horn and finding out it was a common occurrence at that gym, it may then be appropriate to give a heads up to players and coaches that play should continue to the whistle.

Any time something odd happens off the court (buzzer, whistle or air horn in crowd, etc) and it causes most of the players to cease playing, even if only for a moment, I'm apt to stop play and restart.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 11:48am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Bob is right. I wonder if it happened again during the game.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Any special ground rules in this building? Clock/scoreboard issues? Overhangs? Dead spots?
If the ball rolls under the bleachers, it's a ground rule double.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Why I love this forum...

Last night, GV. Small town in Iowa... which explains some of this.

As we were preparing to take the floor, the AD came in and told us that about half the town was without power. Luckily, there were two different feeds coming into the school and the gym did have power -- sort of. We started the game with only about 60% of the lights in the gym working (of 20, we had 6 on one end, 4 on the other) and only one scoreboard. We discussed it with everyone and they wanted to go, so we pre-gamed how to handle last shots, etc. and went to work.

With about 3 minutes to play in the game, the lights came back on, as did the other scoreboard... and the horn went off. Everybody freezes, but the ball was in the paint. Inappropriate advantage offense, because the defense stopped playing.

Thanks to this thread, I hit my whistle and blew it dead.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to ask, which schools? (PM me if you'd like.)
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I like to hit the whistle if everyone stops. It seems to be the fair thing to do.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This way the kids will learn to play to the whistle rather than the buzzer.
That is not reality...everyone stops when they hear the horn...even the officials working.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I routinely do that in pregame. Ask the home coach during pregame. Any special ground rules in this building? Clock/scoreboard issues? Overhangs? Dead spots?
That is great to ask the question but it doesn't change the situation and the "unfair" advantage gained by the home team.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 09:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
That is not reality...everyone stops when they hear the horn...even the officials working.
Sometimes, and sometimes they don't. I've seen both things happen. Players are smarter sometimes than we realize.