The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Halftime Buzzer Beater situation

I was working an 8th grade boys basketball tournament today and an interesting situation occurred during the championship game between the "Red" and "White" teams.

The game is in the final seconds (not sure exactly how much time left, will explain in a second) of the 2nd quarter with the Red team winning 30-15. White inbounds the ball in their own backcourt and their ball handler dribbles up the left of the court in an attempt to get off a shot.

The ball handler gets picked up by a Red defender who forces the ball handler toward the left sideline. However, the White ball handler somehow manages to get pass the defender, crosses half court and puts up a shot which GOES IN!

However, The Red coach contests that the White player was out of bounds. My short answer to the coach was "No, he wasn't".

To be honest, I DID NOT get a look at where the ball handler's feet were when he beat the defender. The reason for this was due to the game clock.

While the game was held at a school gym, the tournament hosts were using a portable game clock which was placed at the scorer's table. The portable clocks are basically useless to officials for last minute situations because we can't see the time and the buzzer's are not all that loud.

Thus as the White ball handler raced up the court, my sole focus was on the following:

1. Seeing if there was any fouls.
2. Getting in position to see/hear the clock in case a shot when up.

Unfortunately, I may have followed too closely to see where the ball handler's feet were. However, I don't feel so bad for not seeing this. The two young ladies at the scorer's table (two seniors in high school) said the White ball handler never stepped on the sideline. They said that the player had his foot above the sideline for a split second but he planted his feet back onto the court.

Besides perhaps saying back a little more to get a better look at the player's feet, how else could I have handled the situation?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

just a thought

I'm parttime coaching/reffing in Malawi, Africa (where I work full time as a Baptist missionary). We don't have a scoreboard or clock in the gym where we play, so we use a chalkboard to keep the score and a stopwatch to keep the time.

Since we play by FIBA rules, the scorer's table must have a whistle to signal timeouts and subs. We've expanded the use of this whistle to also signal the end of each period. The score keeper is also kind enough to yell out a countdown of the last 10 seconds of each period so that both teams are aware of the time.

The next time you're in a situation where the clock doesn't come with a very loud buzzer, you might want to procure the help of someone at the scorer's table to blow a whistle when the time runs out so that you don't have to watch the clock, but can rather give your full attention to the game. This way you can say with complete confidence that you saw the play (without distraction) and made the right call.

I know this idea may not be conventional, but you gotta work with what you got, right?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
Besides perhaps saying back a little more to get a better look at the player's feet, how else could I have handled the situation?
You already know the answer: get a better look at the player's feet. When you're on-ball, you can't also watch the clock. Let your partner do that, or have the timer count down the end of each period.

Prioritize.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
While the game was held at a school gym, the tournament hosts were using a portable game clock which was placed at the scorer's table. The portable clocks are basically useless to officials for last minute situations because we can't see the time and the buzzer's are not all that loud.
Let me guess. AAU game?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 10:05am
Back from the DL

When you're judging whether a try is released before time expires, the NFHS rules say you must judge the release by, in order of priority:
*the light behind the backboard (new rule in 2009-10),
*the horn.

Of course, most school gyms don't have the light, so we have to deal with the horn. If the horn isn't very audible, the table needs to help you with that, either via the whistle that ABC mentioned, or a secondary air horn.

Keep your eyes on the court, and your ears on the horn.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 11:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Of course, most school gyms don't have the light, so we have to deal with the horn. If the horn isn't very audible, the table needs to help you with that, either via the whistle that ABC mentioned, or a secondary air horn.

Keep your eyes on the court, and your ears on the horn.
And most school gyms don't have a supplemental whistle or air horn either.......at least in my experiences.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 12:15pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
And most school gyms don't have a supplemental whistle or air horn either.......at least in my experiences.
True. The one place where I consistently see/hear it at our regional high school tournament in the Bangor Auditorium, where it gets really loud, and a secondary air horn is sometimes needed. Here's hoping they get those lights soon.

No matter where you are, though, if you can't hear the horn, and there are no lights, get the table's help with another audible signal.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa...don't ever tell a coach "No, he didn't." If you are not 100% sure. "It looked good to me", or "I didn't see his foot hit the line" are better options. If you were wrong, your credibility is shot for the second half, or perhaps for your career if the coach is from your area.

My advice is that the crew needs to help with the clock. If you are engaged with the ball, that is your primary responsibility and YOU HAVE TO STAY ON THE BALL. There is at least one other official who can help with the clock.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Tio;674311]Whoa...don't ever tell a coach "No, he didn't." If you are not 100% sure. "It looked good to me", or "I didn't see his foot hit the line" are better options.

OP, I think the last poster gives great advice.

Nonetheless, it was a tough situation. In 2 person pre-games we usually agree that the trail has the last shot and therefore the clock unless there is only 1 clock, then opposite has it. If you did not do this, I suggest that you consider it. I've never had a pre-game and said help out on the clock on situations like yours. I probably will in the future.

2 other things to consider. 1) as the trail, you may be responsible for 2 players on the ball, while the lead may be covering the other 8 and have his/her hands full. 2) I'm not leaving my game at the table, by relying solely on the horn. At least one of the officials better be monitoring the clock.

This was a learning experience for me. So thanks.