The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Love the Frankenstein mechanics being displayed by the crowd.
I refer to this as the "creeping death" foul. I'll do this once a season or so when I know my partner is looking just to crack him up.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofficial View Post
Actually the correct call, by rule, without a doubt would be 3 seconds. Williams enters the lane at :07 ... I know, I know, we would never call it in that situation. But still, that is clearly UGA's best argument
Ha ha ha. (Stop for breath.) Ha ha ha.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I generally agree with this approach and use it myself. In the video, about the point you get to around 4 in the count, the three point shot goes up. So, about the time you would start to think about blowing your whistle, team control ends. It wouldn't get called at the 10:00 minute mark of the first half, either.
My approach is to call the violations when they pretty much call themselves. I am also of the belief that if a 3-second violation is an official's best call they're in a lot of trouble.

So this means I may call 5 or so of these a year. I went an entire season once without calling one. Idiot fans and coaches are going to yell for this whether or not the conditions exist, so I'm certainly not going to listen to them. And I'm not going to pay much attention to a player with a toe in the lane on the weak side (although some coaches think we should be playing "gotcha" with those).
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The Tenn player definitely held down the GA player, by using his upper arm against B's shoulder.

In fact, that upper arm not only hindered B's desired movement, it was the cause of B moving backwards. B's initial jump was straight up. After the contact initiated by A, B was forced backwards a total of 3 steps. In addition, A's contact even forced B's body to the left.

Yes A got the ball legally, that is, without contact to B. But after he had control, he's still in B's vertical space, and used his upper arm which prevented B from performing any actions on his own accord.

I've got a player control foul, go to overtime.
You forgot the smilely.

Once the A had the ball, there is no way that verticality is meant to be applied like you describe. In fact, B was not in LGP (in the path but never facing) and was not entitled to the rights of LGP at all...including verticality. If B did choose to jump into A's arms, you have a foul on B.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the level of response. Thanks, everyone!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

It's funny how the media and fans have reacted to this play. The local university here lost on a conventional three point play at the buzzer last night (May have to post that one too) where a foul was called and our fans are predictably pulling the "You can't call a foul at that point in the game" card. Then they posted this video and are adamant that it was a foul and that the officials "let them play" and didn't decide the game.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

That one could've been easily missed. Instinct like the comentators would be to antisipate the push. I think it was a great no call however. To bad the game isn't played in slow mo so we get all those correct all the time lol.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It's funny how the media and fans have reacted to this play. The local university here lost on a conventional three point play at the buzzer last night (May have to post that one too) where a foul was called and our fans are predictably pulling the "You can't call a foul at that point in the game" card. Then they posted this video and are adamant that it was a foul and that the officials "let them play" and didn't decide the game.
It's that double edged sword. People accuse us of "swallowing our whistles" at the end of the game and say we should call the game the same way at the beginning and the end. But then of course, when a foul call IS made, we're told, "you got to let the players decide the game." As if a player fouling an opponent isn't HIM deciding the game.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's why we get paid the big bucks.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.