The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:11pm
Ok is the new good

Intentional Foul

Hello,

Some guidance when you would call an intentional foul other than not playing the ball. Excessive contact that does not fit bein flagrant?

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Any foul that is designed to stop action where (1) the defensive player is not going after the ball and (2) there isn't intent to harm or causes harm. For example, A1 has ball, B1 pushes the back of A1 but isn't going for ball ; but the push is not forceful enough to cause harm would be an intentional foul.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't focus too much on the ball; off ball fouls happen all the time.

It's judgment, but anything that isn't a legitimate attempt to play defense risks an intentional call.

And typically, players attempting to draw a charge (PC) are not playing the ball, they are playing the player.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Hello,

Some guidance when you would call an intentional foul other than not playing the ball. Excessive contact that does not fit bein flagrant?

Thanks
Grabbing the jersey, bear hug, 2 handed push in the back, possibly contact with a swinging elbow ... just to name a few.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Grabbing the jersey, bear hug, 2 handed push in the back, possibly contact with a swinging elbow ... just to name a few.
I don't think any of those are automatic (although 2 hands in the back comes close).
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Could be a local thing ... in these parts, it's stressed that grabbing the jersey (especially on a throw in) is pretty much automatic.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Hello,

Thanks
If it is not a legitimate play on the ball, and has no place in a basketball game, it is most likely intentional. Grabbing a shirt is automatic.

Excessive contact that could result in escalation should be called as an intentional, but when doing this, term it "hard foul, 2 and the ball". Too many times officials call "intentional" and many have the perception that it is a dirty play. Clear communication helps in these situations.

Also be smart in the last few seconds of close games when a team must foul. You'll see bear hugs. Use judgment to call those, erring on the side of not calling intentionals is not a bad thing; controlling emotions/reactions on the floor is of paramount importance at that time.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 05:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
If it is not a legitimate play on the ball, and has no place in a basketball game, it is most likely intentional.
Agree, but that seems about all I agree with.

Quote:
Grabbing a shirt is automatic.
You can't think of any instance where a shirt could get grabbed and you wouldn't call an intentional foul?

Quote:
Excessive contact that could result in escalation should be called as an intentional, but when doing this, term it "hard foul, 2 and the ball". Too many times officials call "intentional" and many have the perception that it is a dirty play. Clear communication helps in these situations.
The problem is, there's no "hard foul" in the book. If you do that, then they'll think every "hard foul" should be called intentional. Just call it what it is, everyone knows why. If the coach wants to know why, just say the contact was excessive.

Quote:
Also be smart in the last few seconds of close games when a team must foul. You'll see bear hugs. Use judgment to call those, erring on the side of not calling intentionals is not a bad thing; controlling emotions/reactions on the floor is of paramount importance at that time.
Sorry, if I see a bear hug, it's as close to automatic as it gets. More automatic than a jersey grab.

1 for 4.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Automatic" (Pointer Sisters, 1983) ...

From my pregame:

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. If the winning team is
just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,
so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense.
If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player,
we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

I hate to use the word automatic, but these are pretty close to you know what.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Do you call all off-ball fouls intentional?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Pick Your Friends, And You Can ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Do you call all off-ball fouls intentional?
Illegal screen?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Illegal screen?
That's my point. Also, cutters getting illegally cutoff (screened, I know) in the lane. Defenders pushing through screens. My point is, you can't just say a foul that's not playing the ball is always intentional.

For that matter, when a player draws a charge, he's not playing the ball either (usually).