The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Doesn't seem like that big of a screw-up since you were working solo. Did you and your partner communicate prior to the game? If my partner went to the wrong school, the first thing I would be asked by my assigner would be if I had talked to them prior to the game and made sure we were on the same page with the game time and site. If I said no, I'd be as responsible as him for working solo.
+1 That's the protocol around here as well.

That said, when I was in Des Moines, we wouldn't know who our partner was (for subvarsity games) until we showed up at the game site.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That said, when I was in Des Moines, we wouldn't know who our partner was (for subvarsity games) until we showed up at the game site.
Yikes! Those crazy Iowans....
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yikes! Those crazy Iowans....
Yep, but then again, that's back when schedules were done by telephones and paper calendars.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
All of our games are assigned by the association assigner, and I have yet to work a hs game solo.
Exactly. It's officials taking care of officials. When the schools do the assigning, I think they have to be nudged to do the right thing, sometimes.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious

What is your rotation or court coverage gonna be in one-man? I'll bet somewhere in everyones' past we've had to do it. I remember working foul line extended to opposite fl extended (opposite table) such as a C. I even asked table personnel to help me out by calling oob on that sideline with a hand gesture. Anybody got any pointers here?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've done it for little kids recently, and I generally work C to C; occasionally dropping down into L, and occasionally working the middle of the court.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
What is your rotation or court coverage gonna be in one-man? I'll bet somewhere in everyones' past we've had to do it. I remember working foul line extended to opposite fl extended (opposite table) such as a C. I even asked table personnel to help me out by calling oob on that sideline with a hand gesture. Anybody got any pointers here?
I've done it in the past, although not in the past 15-20 years (that I can remember). I always worked opposite the table, mainly FT line to FT line, although I went where I felt I needed to go.

I didn't require a touch of the ball on endline throw-ins, but I wouldn't allow the throw-in until I told them to go (this was in the days before we bounced).

I took no crap from the benches (and rarely got any). They knew I was doing the best I can.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I get that your partner went to the wrong school. But after he figured out that he was at the wrong school, why did he decide not to go to the right school? Never having gone to the wrong school(yet), if I did, I would hurry as fast as possible to get to the right school. What was his reason for not showing up at all?
Some schools in our area are far enough apart that the game would be over by the time you drove from one to the other....even if they figure out their mistake right away.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 19, 2011 at 12:56pm.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Some schools in our area are far enough apart that the game would be over by the time you drove from one to the other....even if they figure out their mistake right away.
Also possible here. Most schools, if I show early enough to the wrong school and learn it soon enough, I could make it by game time; but there are a couple of exceptions. Particularly if one of the schools is up in the mountains.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
This one does not rank too highly IMO, and if I were an assignor I would not be scratching you from the varsity list for this booboo.
+ 1 and as far as I'm concerned, if this is the worst thing that happened while you were working a HS game solo, you deserve more varsity games!!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
+ 1 and as far as I'm concerned, if this is the worst thing that happened while you were working a HS game solo, you deserve more varsity games!!
You are too kind. The game pretty much called itself. The freshman game afterwards would've probably hit the toilet if I had called that one solo.

Admittedly, I did not communicate with my partner before the games so I certainly share some of the burden. I chalk that one up to being lazy since that is not really the standard practice around here.

The other school was a pretty good distance away so I'm actually surprised he made it to the second game before half-time.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how everyone else gets their assignments but ours are made using Arbiter. You get an email informing you that you have a new game (or games), you log into Arbiter and accept or reject. If you accept, all the information about the game is there to include which position you are (R, U1 or U2), who your partners are (with all their contact info), where the game will be played (with address & phone number), who the game adminstrator is as well as who the billing official is. If a supervisor will be observing, you know who that will be as well. I love this system. It also sends you an email reminder 3-4 days prior to game day with the information in it as well.

In other words, there is no excuse for showing up at the wrong location.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Not sure how everyone else gets their assignments but ours are made using Arbiter. You get an email informing you that you have a new game (or games), you log into Arbiter and accept or reject. If you accept, all the information about the game is there to include which position you are (R, U1 or U2), who your partners are (with all their contact info), where the game will be played (with address & phone number), who the game adminstrator is as well as who the billing official is. If a supervisor will be observing, you know who that will be as well. I love this system. It also sends you an email reminder 3-4 days prior to game day with the information in it as well.

Part of the problem is you also get the visiting team information. I'm not saying it's excusable, but in the middle of a busy season it's definitely possible to get your wires crossed and mess this up. That's why it's standard protocol here for the R to call the rest of the crew two days ahead of time. If I'm the/a U and haven't heard from the R, I'll initiate the calls.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post

Sure there is. I've had the game location in Arbiter be wrong. All the officials showed up on time at an empty soccer field.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Part of the problem is you also get the visiting team information. I'm not saying it's excusable, but in the middle of a busy season it's definitely possible to get your wires crossed and mess this up. That's why it's standard protocol here for the R to call the rest of the crew two days ahead of time. If I'm the/a U and haven't heard from the R, I'll initiate the calls.
I agree this doesn't take the place of making the phone - definitely needs to be done as well.