The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

A new "jewelry" thing, at least for me

Last night, I was working a GV game. I was the R, 2-person.

As I was watching the visiting team warm up, I noticed white things in the earlobes of one of the players. Taking a closer look, this girl appeared to have holes in her earlobes almost 1/2" in diameter. She had white plugs in place to fill the holes that, I guess, normally have some metal jewelry.

Since we have to stand out there watching 5'8" girls not dunk for 20 full minutes (), I contemplated this for a while, then held the captains meeting, where I got a closer look at the plugs, since the girl was one of the captains.

After my 15-second captains meeting, I pulled my partner aside and asked his opinion. Since he was wearing a patent leather belt, I wasn't really interested in any kind of sartorial opinion, rather I was a bit dumbfounded as to whether or not these plugs would be considered jewelry.

Not thinking like a 17-year-old girl, I decided they probably are jewelry and when my partner told me he'd be happy to talk to the girl while I was at the table, I took him up on the offer.

I came to find out later that these were rubber plugs designed to fill the holes in the girl's earlobes during physical activity. My partner said, "I think it would be more dangerous for her to play without them." Good enough for me. Of course, I learned that those things aren't fastened in the ears cause I saw the girl picking one up off the court later in the evening.

I must be turning into a geezer, cause that huge hole in her earlobe couldn't have been any less attractive, IMO.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Gross.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I have never seen a girl having these but have seen several guys with them - fortunately none have been on the basketball court.

being a guy who use to wear an ear ring I can understand young guys wanting to wear an ear ring - I can not understand why you would want a huge hole in your ear.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:52am
Archaic Power Monger

This is a practice sometimes known as gauging. The ear is pierced and over time, the lobe is stretched out using progressively larger hoops. When I was in college a few years ago, I saw more than a few people doing it.

I haven't run into it officiating, but if the hole is large enough, I could see it being a safety issue to not have the plugs in.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
gross.
+1
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 09:58am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I must be turning into a geezer, cause that huge hole in her earlobe couldn't have been any less attractive, IMO.
Don't worry, Rich. It's not just you getting old. Us younger people still find it revolting as well. I always wonder what those earlobes are going to look like when they're 80

Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I think it qualifies as jewelry.

I am sympathetic to the thought that it's safer with it in than with it out.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Not surprisingly, you and I are completely in agreement here. I allowed them, but wasn't thrilled with my choices.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Maybe have them removed and then cover the entire ear with tape?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Maybe have them removed and then cover the entire ear with tape?
It appears that she's trying to remove her earlobe, a few mm at a time.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I think the Fed is going to have to come out on a specific stand on these if this kind of mutilation continues to be popular.

I think the player would be placing herself and potentially her opponents at risk of injury without it but what protection does it provide if they pop out easily?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Haven't seen it on the court, and hadn't really thought about the implications either. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen it on females, only guys.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Possible solution

Borrow something from the wrestling team?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night, I was working a GV game. I was the R, 2-person.

As I was watching the visiting team warm up, I noticed white things in the earlobes of one of the players. Taking a closer look, this girl appeared to have holes in her earlobes almost 1/2" in diameter. She had white plugs in place to fill the holes that, I guess, normally have some metal jewelry.

Since we have to stand out there watching 5'8" girls not dunk for 20 full minutes (), I contemplated this for a while, then held the captains meeting, where I got a closer look at the plugs, since the girl was one of the captains.

After my 15-second captains meeting, I pulled my partner aside and asked his opinion. Since he was wearing a patent leather belt, I wasn't really interested in any kind of sartorial opinion, rather I was a bit dumbfounded as to whether or not these plugs would be considered jewelry.

Not thinking like a 17-year-old girl, I decided they probably are jewelry and when my partner told me he'd be happy to talk to the girl while I was at the table, I took him up on the offer.

I came to find out later that these were rubber plugs designed to fill the holes in the girl's earlobes during physical activity. My partner said, "I think it would be more dangerous for her to play without them." Good enough for me. Of course, I learned that those things aren't fastened in the ears cause I saw the girl picking one up off the court later in the evening.

Rich:

Some people may laugh but I have a simple criteria for jewelry. If the player was not born with it, it is jewelry. I would not have let her play with them in her ears.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rich:

Some people may laugh but I have a simple criteria for jewelry. If the player was not born with it, it is jewelry. I would not have let her play with them in her ears.

MTD, Sr.
Would you have let her play with half-inch diameter holes in her ears?