View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:11pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night, I was working a GV game. I was the R, 2-person.

As I was watching the visiting team warm up, I noticed white things in the earlobes of one of the players. Taking a closer look, this girl appeared to have holes in her earlobes almost 1/2" in diameter. She had white plugs in place to fill the holes that, I guess, normally have some metal jewelry.

Since we have to stand out there watching 5'8" girls not dunk for 20 full minutes (), I contemplated this for a while, then held the captains meeting, where I got a closer look at the plugs, since the girl was one of the captains.

After my 15-second captains meeting, I pulled my partner aside and asked his opinion. Since he was wearing a patent leather belt, I wasn't really interested in any kind of sartorial opinion, rather I was a bit dumbfounded as to whether or not these plugs would be considered jewelry.

Not thinking like a 17-year-old girl, I decided they probably are jewelry and when my partner told me he'd be happy to talk to the girl while I was at the table, I took him up on the offer.

I came to find out later that these were rubber plugs designed to fill the holes in the girl's earlobes during physical activity. My partner said, "I think it would be more dangerous for her to play without them." Good enough for me. Of course, I learned that those things aren't fastened in the ears cause I saw the girl picking one up off the court later in the evening.

I must be turning into a geezer, cause that huge hole in her earlobe couldn't have been any less attractive, IMO.

Rich:

Some people may laugh but I have a simple criteria for jewelry. If the player was not born with it, it is jewelry. I would not have let her play with them in her ears.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio