The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Intentional fouls

I thought I had this rule straight, but I may be mistaken. Is it something like "you must make a play on the ball when you attempt to foul"?

A little prelim, just to set up the feel of the game.

GJV, good game, lights out shooting, both teams score in the 60's.
Team A, up by 5, 30 seconds to go. A1 drives for for fast break layup and gets hard (but not excessive) foul. A1 stays on the floor in obvious pain for about 5 minutes. Teams are huddled up around coaches, team B laughing and having a good time. She eventually gets to the bench, but after the game had to have and ambulance come get her. So in my mind, this game is getting to the border of out of control.

In any case, with 20 seconds to go, A2 gets the steal backcourt and turns it up court. B5 shoves her hard in the back, with 2 hands. Not that it matters, but b5 is the biggest player on the court, A2 one of the smallest.

The refs call common foul. Am I mistaken here?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_lurker View Post
I thought I had this rule straight, but I may be mistaken. Is it something like "you must make a play on the ball when you attempt to foul"?

Team A, up by 5, 30 seconds to go. A1 drives for for fast break layup and gets hard (but not excessive) foul. A1 stays on the floor in obvious pain for about 5 minutes. Teams are huddled up around coaches, team B laughing and having a good time. She eventually gets to the bench, but after the game had to have and ambulance come get her. So in my mind, this game is getting to the border of out of control.

In any case, with 20 seconds to go, A2 gets the steal backcourt and turns it up court. B5 shoves her hard in the back, with 2 hands. Not that it matters, but b5 is the biggest player on the court, A2 one of the smallest.

Is a two-handed shove to the back playing the ball? Probably not...

I'd go with a minimum of an intentional foul here. If I thought she tried to injure the player, I've got a flagrant personal foul.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:14am
TODO: creative title here

First play: HTBT, but probably just a common foul.

Second play: Intentional foul if it happened as described. Possibly flagrant, but HTBT to make that call.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A good rule of thumb, but not absolute.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

second play is at a minimum an intentional
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
As others have said, this is a minimum intentional. I tossed a player last year at the end of a game for doing this to an opponent going up for an uncontested layup.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Based on what I bolded I would call a flagrant. I am not going to allow this.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Based on what I bolded I would call a flagrant. I am not going to allow this.
Me too, as described, flagrant. Hopefully it might have an impact on her next game, if there is a next game for her.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As others have said, this is a minimum intentional. I tossed a player last year at the end of a game for doing this to an opponent going up for an uncontested layup.
I had a player do this twice in one game. First one, 2nd quarter, I called intentional. Second one, 3rd quarter, my partner called flagrant. The kid was about 6-4, 250, and the 2nd time he shoved "through" a 5-6 point guard going in for a layup.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:46am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I had a player do this twice in one game. First one, 2nd quarter, I called intentional. Second one, 3rd quarter, my partner called flagrant. The kid was about 6-4, 250, and the 2nd time he shoved "through" a 5-6 point guard going in for a layup.
Sounds like somebody is playing the wrong sport.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sounds like somebody is playing the wrong sport.
Yeah, his dad came looking for us after the game; stopped by game management. Then, his mom called the school (they were the visiting team from about 50 miles away) and complained that we (the officials) had taken his right to play basketball away. Chip off the old block.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:04pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yeah, his dad came looking for us after the game; stopped by game management. Then, his mom called the school (they were the visiting team from about 50 miles away) and complained that we (the officials) had taken his right to play basketball away. Chip off the old block.
Y U.P.

She doesn't realize that her son ejected himself from the game.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Heh...I had almost the same experience. Kid's dad was irate and wanting to have a word with the officials...when he got redirected by game management, he started in on the opposing coach.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

On the first play, the depth of the injury really doesn't have anything to do calling the foul intentional or not. You judge it on the merit of the play, not what happens later.

The second is an intentional foul for sure. But simply shoving someone in the back is not flagrant. In judging whether the foul should be flagrant, you would have to consider whether the player was pushed into a wall or the bleachers, was airborne and hit the floor hard, etc.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow that's crazy...
A jr high girls game (i know enough said already lol) last season While checking the books and AP arrow I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and a women was standing there screaming "I want to know what a foul is". She kinda caught me off guard. I asked her "are you a parent of a player"...she says "yes I'm the mother of the girl that got thrown to the floor. I replied "mam you need to go sit with the other moms". Surprisingly she shut up and sat down. Start of the next half I'm the R and wouldn't you know she was front row mid court opposite the table lol. While waiting for the teams to clear huddles I sat down beside her and told her that in girls jr high they fall a lot and most times not with any help. She laughed her husband was embarassed and no problems the rest of the game.