The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Excessively Swinging Elbows Causes Immediate Dead Ball

This question was on our association tournament exam...

A3 releases the ball on a shot attempt. Which of the following would cause the ball to become dead immediately (while the try is still in flight)?

ANS: A1 is whistled for excessively swinging his/her elbows.

I delved into the rules on this one and got confused so I am looking for some clarity.

Article 9-13 specifies the penalty for this "The ball is dead when the penalty occurs..."; however it also says to "See 6-7-9 Exception d".
Article 6-7 defines when a ball becomes dead, and the 6-7-9 Exception is to specify when this does NOT apply. 6-7-9 Exception d states "Article 9 as in 9-3-3 or 9-13-1, occurs by an opponent"

So here's how I read this...
The ball is dead as defined by 6-7 unless a try is in flight and the 6-7-9 exceptions apply. In the case of 9-13-1, it would NOT become dead immediately on a try in flight, if the DEFENSE were swinging his/her elbows excessively, but it would if the OFFENSE was. Is that correct?

Other offenses by team A could occur and the ball would not be blown dead in this case, so there must be some overriding reason why NFHS thinks that team A swinging elbows excessively merits an immediate dead ball even if it is in the air. I presume that is because of potential danger...but then I ask myself, "why is there less danger if team B does it?". I supposed that if we blew the dead ball when B did it, they could stop any try by swinging elbows, but then imo that is what technicals would be for.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct that excessively swinging the elbows causes an immediate dead ball (even if the try is in flight), while the same act by the defense does not cause the ball to become immediately dead. You penalize the offense if the ball becomes dead on a violation by the defense.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You are correct that excessively swinging the elbows causes an immediate dead ball (even if the try is in flight), while the same act by the defense does not cause the ball to become immediately dead. You penalize the offense if the ball becomes dead on a violation by the defense.
9-13-1 A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s),
even without contacting an opponent.

PENALTY: (Section 13) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is
awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds
spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

6-7-9 A violation, as in 9-2 through 13, occurs (see exception d below).
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
d. Article 9 as in 9-3-3 or 9-13-1, occurs by an opponent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)